Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Un, deux, trois, soleil... What an odd film.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-04, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, this film is weird. I don't know how to describe it, I don't think I even understand it. I read Savants review, and it shed a little light.

Okay, if this film is surrealism, then it has gone into the absurd. What was the director trying to say by having the teacher followed by the children and treated like a sex object, and all the talk about rape? I think I got the part about the class differances, where he shows the poor not batting an eyelash when a stranger enters their house for food, and the rich grabbing a gun to make an example of the stranger. I firgue the director was saying when people have more than others they become defensive and scared of others, while the poor don't have that problem.

And what about the girls mother, that she goes to school and acts like a child? Was this some statement about parents that want to re-live their lives through their children, and in effect destroy their childs happiness? Like the scene where the mother bursts in her daughters apartment and won't leave, until the daughter collapses and finally the mother has a purpose, to give aid to the daughter. Yet at all other times, there is nothing normal about their relationship. Unlike the fat black woman that seems to symbolize nurturing.

This flick did not go through time in any understandable way either. In one scene the actress is a child, in the next she is a married woman, and in a third she is a teen. Yet the movie goes back and forth.

Did anyone else see this movie? Did anyone understand it? Maybe I was too shocked while watching it to be able to understand it. The scene with the fat black lady and "the miracle" was a little to much for my stomach.

And what did the bra symbolize? Hell, they showed it enough times and seemed to make a point of it. She did not take it off for the whole movie, and at the very end it was the hands of children that undid it. What was the director saying?? Eventually it is just her husband there and everyone else dissapears with the mother.

And what did the door in the warehouse symbolize. Off all the things this one should be the easiest to figure out. The children keep changing the numbers on the building to confuse the drunk so he can't find his way home. Yet at the end, he finds the door in a warehouse (and I won't say what is on the other side in case someone has not seen the flick and wants to view it).

This is one very odd movie. I think I am going to have nightmares tonight.
Old 12-11-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like this might be an interesting discussion. Unfortunately, it's likely to receive little attention here in the Reviews Forum, which is primarily devoted to reviews of DVDs.

Moving to Movie Talk Forum.

- David Stein