Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you miss John Candy?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do you miss John Candy?

Old 03-04-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Do you miss John Candy?

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
how I will always remember him...
Brilliant. Me as well. Completely genuine emotion right there.
Old 03-04-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 852 Likes on 697 Posts

Such a great actor and seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I definitely miss seeing him in new roles. May need to go and rewatch some of his older stuff now because of this thread bump.
Old 03-04-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 308 Posts

20 years?! Jesus, time flies.
Old 03-04-14, 04:56 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 718 Posts

Here's my John Candy story...

Around ten years ago, my buddy and I went to Chicago for a long weekend and we were going to crash at another of my friend's apartment. When we showed up, though, he told us he had one roommate moving out, another moving in, and the landlord was doing some work on the place so we couldn't stay there. Instead, he was checking in on another friend's cats and he asked her if we could stay at her place. She said it was cool so long as we feed the cats and he gave us the keys. Finally, he said we might see some things at her place that would leave us with questions and we could ask him at the party that night. ...Okay...

So we get to the address. It's literally 2-3 blocks around the corner from the Second City theater. We head up the stairs, unlock the door, and enter. It's a nice little one-bedroom apartment in a beautiful brownstone. We settle in and have a seat to go over our plans for the weekend. My friend notices a family photo of a father and daughter and he says wow, that guy looks like John Candy. At about the same time, I notice another family photo and think the same thing. Then we look at the DVD rack and see a bunch of John Candy movies. Hmm...

At the party that night, we ask my Chicago friend exactly whose apartment we're staying in for the week. Turns out, it's John Candy's daughter. This was the apartment he stayed in as a young man when he was doing Second City mainstage in Chicago (before Toronto, I think). He had since purchased it and now his daughter was living in it. For the rest of the weekend, my buddy and I would say things like, "Hey, I'm going to use John Candy's oven." "Sounds good. I'm going to use John Candy's toilet." It was a surreal experience. I have never met any of the Candys, let alone his daughter (we're the same age and apparently have some mutual acquaintances) and everyone I know who knows them in any capacity says they're awesome people and really honor his memory, too.

If you want some awesome John Candy stories, you should really read the tell-all book about SCTV by Dave Thomas. If I have a chance I'll type a few paraphrases up later.

To answer the thread title question, yeah, I absolutely do.
Old 03-04-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Cool story, Bro.

Spoiler:
I really mean it this time.
Old 03-04-14, 05:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 607 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
Here's my John Candy story...

Around ten years ago, my buddy and I went to Chicago for a long weekend and we were going to crash at another of my friend's apartment. When we showed up, though, he told us he had one roommate moving out, another moving in, and the landlord was doing some work on the place so we couldn't stay there. Instead, he was checking in on another friend's cats and he asked her if we could stay at her place. She said it was cool so long as we feed the cats and he gave us the keys. Finally, he said we might see some things at her place that would leave us with questions and we could ask him at the party that night. ...Okay...

So we get to the address. It's literally 2-3 blocks around the corner from the Second City theater. We head up the stairs, unlock the door, and enter. It's a nice little one-bedroom apartment in a beautiful brownstone. We settle in and have a seat to go over our plans for the weekend. My friend notices a family photo of a father and daughter and he says wow, that guy looks like John Candy. At about the same time, I notice another family photo and think the same thing. Then we look at the DVD rack and see a bunch of John Candy movies. Hmm...

At the party that night, we ask my Chicago friend exactly whose apartment we're staying in for the week. Turns out, it's John Candy's daughter. This was the apartment he stayed in as a young man when he was doing Second City mainstage in Chicago (before Toronto, I think). He had since purchased it and now his daughter was living in it. For the rest of the weekend, my buddy and I would say things like, "Hey, I'm going to use John Candy's oven." "Sounds good. I'm going to use John Candy's toilet." It was a surreal experience. I have never met any of the Candys, let alone his daughter (we're the same age and apparently have some mutual acquaintances) and everyone I know who knows them in any capacity says they're awesome people and really honor his memory, too.

If you want some awesome John Candy stories, you should really read the tell-all book about SCTV by Dave Thomas. If I have a chance I'll type a few paraphrases up later.

To answer the thread title question, yeah, I absolutely do.
awesome story story.
Old 03-04-14, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts

I was in the gym recently and ARMED AND DANGEROUS began showing on one of the channels that airs in the gym. I watched it while I was there and I have to say I was impressed. Candy was excellent in it.
Old 03-04-14, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

I never found Candy truly funny (unlike, say, Martin Short), but by all accounts he was a very decent man. He unquestionably died too young.
Old 03-04-14, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
I never found Candy truly funny (unlike, say, Martin Short)...
Old 03-04-14, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always loved this skit---classic John Candy: (actually starts at 1:06 )

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/MtK11FJSQBY?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/MtK11FJSQBY?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 03-04-14, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
Spoiler:
Troll? You must have me confused with someone else. Surely I'm allowed to express an opinion without being labelled a troll.
Old 03-04-14, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Surely I'm allowed to joke around without your panties getting into a bunch.
Old 03-04-14, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 775 Likes on 597 Posts

Candy was cool in JFK, Daddy-O, ya dig?
Old 03-04-14, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't really miss him at all.
Old 03-04-14, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't forget he kinda saved Home Alone.
Old 03-04-14, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

And speaking of Home Alone, today is Catherine O'Hara's 60th birthday. But yeah I was thinking about John Candy the other day. Time flies.
Old 03-04-14, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
Surely I'm allowed to joke around without your panties getting into a bunch.
A "j/k" or winky would have cleared all that up. "Troll" is a serious accusation on a forum.
Old 03-04-14, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In honor of the 20th anniversary of his passing today, I reviewed one of his 80s titles The Great Outdoors on my YouTube channel. My favorite John Candy movie has got to be Home Alone.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9Ws_CV8Arrw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-04-14, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
A "j/k" or winky would have cleared all that up. "Troll" is a serious accusation on a forum.
If I wanted to really accuse you of being a troll, I would have made a definite, no mistake statement instead of posting an amusing picture. Haven't we been here long enough to know the difference?
Old 03-05-14, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All right, all right. Back to John Candy...
Old 03-05-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really liked him in Splash.
Old 03-05-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 852 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086 View Post
In honor of the 20th anniversary of his passing today, I reviewed one of his 80s titles The Great Outdoors on my YouTube channel. My favorite John Candy movie has got to be Home Alone.
I don't think that The Great Outdoors is his best film but it's always been one I've enjoyed a lot. It has that 80s charm to it and even though a lot of it is predictable, I love Candy and Aykroyd so I have a good time with it. My favorite John Candy films though are probably Planes, Trains, and Automobiles and Uncle Buck. Also love his parts in National Lampoon's Vacation and the remake of Little Shop of Horrors.
Old 03-05-14, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Strangely enough, I just watched Only the Lonely for the first time ever. Surprised I had never seen it, since I've always liked Candy. Was also surprised to see Macaulay Culkin in this one briefly, too.

What was the relationship like between John Hughes, Chris Columbus and John Candy? I'm not looking at IMDB right now, but it seems these guys have all worked together quite a lot.
Old 03-05-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I don't think that The Great Outdoors is his best film but it's always been one I've enjoyed a lot. It has that 80s charm to it and even though a lot of it is predictable, I love Candy and Aykroyd so I have a good time with it.
I hear you. Feel like if I saw The Great Outdoors closer to its release for the first time and not in 2014 I would have enjoyed it more.
Old 03-06-14, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Well, jeeze. Now I do.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.