Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spiderman 3 to be the last

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spiderman 3 to be the last

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-04, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So after all the time we spent complaining that studios need to get some artistic integrity and end series when they should rather than when the cease to be profitable, we're now complaining that they should toss integrity to the wind as long as Spiderman is making money?

They're trying to bow out with some grace, which is more than WB can say about Batman. Give them some credit.

Also, I have a question for the die-hards out there. Why does Sam Raimi hate Venom so much? I only watched the Fox Kids series, but I always thought Venom was kickass.
Old 10-13-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Neeperando
So after all the time we spent complaining that studios need to get some artistic integrity and end series when they should rather than when the cease to be profitable, we're now complaining that they should toss integrity to the wind as long as Spiderman is making money?

They're trying to bow out with some grace, which is more than WB can say about Batman. Give them some credit.

Also, I have a question for the die-hards out there. Why does Sam Raimi hate Venom so much? I only watched the Fox Kids series, but I always thought Venom was kickass.
While that may hold true for original stories, comic books have so much history and so many characters in them that fans *want* to see them. Aside from a few people here, i'd say for the most part people want to see Venom, or want to see Gambit in X-Men. Unlike something, say Indiana Jones, that doesn't need a sequel, comic books and their films are ongoing stories, and there isn't any reason to just wrap them up.
Old 10-13-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Venom was a worthless character. Really was just dim and limited to speeches like "I want to eat your brains" That shit gets old and fast. Sam may not want to use such a paper thin character. More so like Spiderman's other gallary of villians who actually have some emotional bind to being who they are.

Besides that, Venom showed up and really made his claim to fame during the whole Buff and tough age of spiderman. His character really has nothing to work off of.

As for the amount of time going into spidermans history. Yeah, it's very tough to fill it all in and still please the fans for a two hour time period. You really need to fit a lot.

Considering how much is retconned, it's tough to make an accurate film. Now with the whole Ultimates/alternative timelines and retelling of the stories it makes it even harder.

Do you want to explain how Spiderman now has two villians who are the kids of a character that never existed in the film that was an outcome of norman raping?
Old 10-13-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

Do you want to explain how Spiderman now has two villians who are the kids of a character that never existed in the film that was an outcome of norman raping?
Only a few will understand this one...
Old 10-13-04, 12:19 PM
Banned

IMO, Marvel would be smart to try and recruit Raimi to work his magic with some of their other franchises.
Old 10-13-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

WHAT IF.....

Raimi took the director seat on X4 or X5?

I would love to see him direct Captain America!
Old 10-13-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Neeperando

At this point though, the SM story and presentation has been strong. I agree if they can't do it right then they should stop, but especially with Raimi saying he wants to do more, I see no reason to stop and no reason why SM 3, 4, etc won't be quality films.
Old 10-13-04, 03:28 PM

Obviously the studio isn't interested in stopping after SM3 due to integrity rather than love of money after seeing story below. Actually think SM 2.5 is something I will buy and glad they tell us now but Raimi is being honest in saying the only reason the studio is having him add scenes to SM2 is for money.

Spiderman 2.5
Old 10-13-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Ketamine
I really don't think part 4 will cost $400 million but even if it did, I would spend $400 mil to make $500+ mil. The way things are now, I see no reason why they won't continue to make money and you know how well comic book movies sell on DVD even if they are bad.

BTW: why not film Spiderman 4,5, and 6 all at the same time like with LOTR. Think about how much money they would pull in if they did something like this with a good story. Oh the possibilities.
More like, spend $300 million to make $700 million worldwide (movie, DVD, TV...).

If SM3 is a blockbuster, we will see SM4. But, it may have different actors.
Old 10-13-04, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
More like, spend $300 million to make $700 million worldwide (movie, DVD, TV...).

If SM3 is a blockbuster, we will see SM4. But, it may have different actors.
My point was even if SM 4 did cost $400 million as one person stated(that's where I got $400 million), I say it would be worth it b/c you would still make over $100 million profit and likely much more (that's the + part). Agreed there is no way it would cost $400 million to make SM4 but even if it did, it would still make the studio big bucks if they continued with the current creative talent.
Old 10-13-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

cost schmost.... a 200% return on your money is damn good.. especially when we're talking about that much money
Old 10-18-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 768 Likes on 556 Posts
Sony's 'Spidey 2' DVD Lures Corporate Muscle

Sun Oct 17, 7:37 PM ET Movies - Reuters

By Gail Schiller

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Already having ensnared more than $370 million at the U.S. box office, "Spider-Man 2" is spinning a whole new $100 million marketing and promotional web to back the release of the film on DVD and VHS on Nov. 30.

The marketing campaign for the two-disc DVD -- featuring more than 10 hours of exclusive content -- includes national television, print and radio advertising through January, shopping mall promotions and billboards as well as promotions with eight brand partners, according to Sony's Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment unit.

Energizer Batteries, Embassy Suites, Activision, Orville Redenbacher, Red Baron, Crest SpinBrush and sister companies Sony Electronics and Sony Music have all signed on for one of the studio's largest marketing and promotional campaigns for a DVD release.

"It's comparable to the first 'Spider-Man' (home video release) in size. What's different this time is the breadth of promotional partners," Columbia TriStar vp marketing Tracey Garvin said. About half of the $100 million support for the DVD release comes from the promotional partners.

Another element of the campaign will be "Spider-Man 2" TV spots and a nearly three-minute trailer featured on Regal Entertainment's 6,000 screens.

Embassy Suites will promote the film through national cable television and print, online and direct-mail advertising. Activision will run an integrated national television and print advertising campaign supporting both its video game and the DVD release.

Why is there a need for this? Spidey 2 DVD will practically sell itself. And I wonder why my paycheck is so small.