Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spiderman 3 to be the last

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spiderman 3 to be the last

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Cornholio
spiderman is ok but a little over rated.
Yeah, at least its not like those lame Disney cartoons for kids!
Old 10-11-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 165 Posts
If they really want to take a comic book approach, then let Raimi finish his story, wait a while, and then start again with some sort of re-imagining scenario. It was and still is very common in comics to have a particular writer or artist on board for a couple of arcs then switch gears with another team. Once they change staff, the story picks up where it left off, but is a totally different animal as well.

I just hope they don't take the Spidey of the 90s approach where they make him a stud and then as soon as a new director takes the reins for 4, they slap together a story with Venom for the sake of having it. (Raimi stated that Venom would never be a character under his watch.)
Old 10-11-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by fumanstan
I think that's a poor way of looking at costs to assume the movie budget will rise like that with each installment.

Anyway, haven't we heard before that it was Raimi who didn't want to do anymore then 3? I find it hard to believe that its the studio wanting to slow things down.
Devil is my inside source for sony whenever I feel the need to care about the studio. He knows what he is talking about and I have heard him bitch about Sony's logic with budget on spiderman many times before.

Sony's thinking of sequels is that if a film made 60 million on a 20 million budget, they should up the budget for the next film to 60 million so they could make 120. Looking at it's other films that fell face down. It doesn't always work.

In any case, I wasn't under the impression that raimi was being pushed out. From all the interviews and discussions on the matter he had at various cons he made it pretty clear that he needs to move on to something else afterwards. That spiderman is a big time consumer and doesn't really allow him to do much else. Other than, say tag his name on a film here and there as producer.
Old 10-11-04, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If this is the last, I really really hope that Venom is the vilain! That would br really cool!

Last edited by Kant; 10-11-04 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-11-04, 05:42 PM

Spiderman 3 isn't out until 2007, so at the earlest we won't have to worry about it until 2009/2010.
Old 10-12-04, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It seems ridiculous to drop a franchise that's making the ludicrous amount of money this one has made in it's first two installments.....hell, it was a tentpole for the year...BOTH movies are listed in the all time moneymakers. Why would they even dream of ending the series here? With that kind of logic, best to stop the Harry Potter and Shrek movies now, before another installment is released!
Old 10-12-04, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well Shrek is animated and the costs don't go up as much to do sequels.
Old 10-12-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally posted by Kant
If this is the last, I really really hope that Venom is the vilain! That would br really cool!

GEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!! Have you not read ANYTHING Raimi has said in the past three years, or other posts in this thread at least?

Raimi has stated and others have repeated time and again that Venom will NEVER be a villian as long as Raimi is in charge.
Old 10-12-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 769 Likes on 556 Posts
Venom is such a Paul WS Anderson villain. And if he were to handle the franchise, might as well just end it at 3.
Old 10-12-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It'll be the last for Raimi, that's nothing new, but Avi Arad was quoted as saying the studio wanted to do 9 of them. Heck with all the storylines in the Spider-Man comics, you could do them forever.

EDIT: Oops, maybe I should have read the article first before posting.

Maybe another studio will pick up the ball then.
Old 10-12-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought they were doing 9 or something?
Old 10-12-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hahahaha! Yeah, only three. Suuuuure.
Old 10-12-04, 02:30 PM
Suspended

Fuck these Hobgoblins. Greegoblins and what the hell else goblins they have, I want to see Venom and/or Carnage, period.
Old 10-12-04, 02:51 PM

if sony won't make any more after 3, avi arad will just license spidey out to another studio. he makes the final decisions. but sony will make more and more spidey films.
Old 10-12-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd much rather see Venom over Green Goblin 2, Hobgoblin, Vulture or Sandman. Though I'd hope they would do Venom in about 10 years or so when the CGI has gotten better.
Old 10-12-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It makes sense though for Raimi to wrap up his story arc. As I said, this isn't going to be the end of Spiderman...he's not going to die or quit being a superhero (well, I'd hope not) it would just tie up the story arc.

At that point, the series might very well need a revamp anyway. By the time Spiderman 3 comes out Tobey Maguire will be 32 years, and well...that means for part 3 and 4 he'll be in his mid to late 30s.

By all accounts the series will need to be ended or restarted cause quite frankly, Tobey would be getting kinda old. And to have Raimi's films have an arc, and also to have him do other stuff, this sounds like a good idea to me. I want Ash to come back already.
Old 10-12-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 769 Likes on 556 Posts
Venom = jumped the shark
Old 10-12-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 933 Likes on 658 Posts
IGN has an interview with Raimi.

IGNFF: You had mentioned that Amy Pascal is set on stopping the series with the third film. If that should change, would you want to be involved?

RAIMI: I'd love to be involved. I'd look forward to it.

IGNFF: As director?

RAIMI: As director, yeah. I love making the Spider-Man movies. I like the character, I admire him. When you write a Spider-Man movie, like any movie, you have to get into the head of the main character and imagine yourself as them, so it's a very uplifting experience, for hours every day, imagining yourself as Peter Parker. You say to yourself, 'What if I was a nobler, kinder, more self-sacrificing human being that I am?' You then start saying, 'Well, why aren't I that person?' You know, it's a very good experience and it makes you want to be more like that. So I find it a very positive personal experience working on it.

From the horses mouth. He wouldn't mind doing more, it is the studio calling the shots.
Old 10-12-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by jaeufraser

At that point, the series might very well need a revamp anyway. By the time Spiderman 3 comes out Tobey Maguire will be 32 years, and well...that means for part 3 and 4 he'll be in his mid to late 30s.

By all accounts the series will need to be ended or restarted cause quite frankly, Tobey would be getting kinda old.
Cause as we all know, Peter Parker never gets older, gets married or has childern.

oh wait...

Toby can pull off the young look like most actors in hollywood. Age will not be a factor. Atleast not a factor that they can't work with.
Old 10-12-04, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Cause as we all know, Peter Parker never gets older, gets married or has childern.

oh wait...

Toby can pull off the young look like most actors in hollywood. Age will not be a factor. Atleast not a factor that they can't work with.
Honestly, I doubt Sony or the major population wants to see an older Spiderman. Sure, they could do it, but that doesn't make it a good idea, nor does it mean it's something the studio wants to do. The youthful appeal of the leads is a major reason for these films success, and I've no doubt Sony would want that to stay. Nonetheless, it's an issue, especially with Toby's sure to be rising paycheck. I just don't think a 35 or nearly 40 year old Toby Maguire can convincingly play the youthful Spiderman, and I don't think they'll want to take this character into older age with kids and things of the sort. And it makes sense to restart the franchise on a certain commercial level.
Old 10-12-04, 06:34 PM

What I think should happen after SM3 is that Sony should bring in a new cast, and start with a new spider-man arc! I just don't want SM3 to be the last!!! And it will not! C'mon the movies are making serious $$$
Old 10-12-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
They can recast but not necessarily 'restart' the whole franchise, and try and retell the origin and what not. Similar to what Singer is trying to do with Superman.
Old 10-12-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, I think the current storyline is set up very well for 3 movies, with those characters and same actors.

Maybe in the future (distant future), we'll get a whole new story arc- venom or whatever. I agree that Tobey may be too old at that point to play Spidey. At that point, if they bring in an entirely new cast for a new trilogy or whatever, I'm not sure if it'll be as good. (just because things will be so different).
Old 10-12-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 661 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally posted by chanster
Well Shrek is animated and the costs don't go up as much to do sequels.
Pixar's films have increased in budget each time due to increases in technology and the sophistication of the CGI. Hell, Disney's 2D films increased in budget due to increasing blending of CGI and increasing costs of hand-animation.

Shrek 2 also had $30 million of its budget going to paying the three lead actors.
Old 10-13-04, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by jaeufraser
Honestly, I doubt Sony or the major population wants to see an older Spiderman. Sure, they could do it, but that doesn't make it a good idea, nor does it mean it's something the studio wants to do. The youthful appeal of the leads is a major reason for these films success, and I've no doubt Sony would want that to stay. Nonetheless, it's an issue, especially with Toby's sure to be rising paycheck. I just don't think a 35 or nearly 40 year old Toby Maguire can convincingly play the youthful Spiderman, and I don't think they'll want to take this character into older age with kids and things of the sort. And it makes sense to restart the franchise on a certain commercial level.
if they want to be smart about it, they can easily market an aging spidey into it's market. Those youngin's who see spiderman for the first time on the big screen will be growing aswell. Much like the whole star wars factor. Your audience does grow up also. Toby can pull off the young look. I mean we are talking about a system that puts 40 year olds as highschool students in tv shows. They can make someone look younger then they are and have it be believable.

I think the main factor is will a reset help? I highly doubt it will be helpful to just retell the story or recast for no real reason other then to keep the cast young. the appeal will have older audience members.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.