Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lucas: "Watch Star Wars in this order: I, II, III, IV, V, VI."

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lucas: "Watch Star Wars in this order: I, II, III, IV, V, VI."

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Sweet! I have been wanting to do that ever since I watched Episode IV for the first time!!!!

Old 09-18-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dead
Please watch how you address other members.
Excuse me, but I never singled out any one person that was an idiot. I don't see why I can't call a group of people who are acting idiotic idiots. People are whining and getting all hysterical over something that isn't that serious. It's like they feel Lucas has a gun to their head saying they should watch it in the order he says, but if they would stop for a second and actually use their heads instead of lapsing into instant Lucas bashing (and I am by no means a "Lucas apologist") they would see that this isn't some rule or something they should even be concerned about.
Old 09-18-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Toad

Clearly he's not mandating this; it's just a suggestion. Settle down young padawans.
True. Is there a more rabid and anal bunch of fans this side of Friday the 13th? Star Wars, a series I LOVE, is just films. It isn't like Lucas is adding and deleting things from the Bible or Koran. Chill out. Let Lucas be a filmmaker and you be a film viewer and stop being armchair directors. Whose idea was all of this? Lucas. I think Lucas is a pioneer in terms of technology such as ILM, THX, 5.1 systems, but every one thinks these films should be one way and when a new prequel film is release endless threads on Luca$ sucks begins.

Chill out. Buy the dvds or don't. Easy soultion.

(Sorry to be a tad harsh, as I've said I'm a huge SW fan with memorbilia, but c'mon I'm sick of Lucas bashing. There's other people who deserves the bashing more.)
Old 09-18-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jonpeters
True. Is there a more rabid and anal bunch of fans this side of Friday the 13th? Star Wars, a series I LOVE, is just films. It isn't like Lucas is adding and deleting things from the Bible or Koran. Chill out. Let Lucas be a filmmaker and you be a film viewer and stop being armchair directors. Whose idea was all of this? Lucas. I think Lucas is a pioneer in terms of technology such as ILM, THX, 5.1 systems, but every one thinks these films should be one way and when a new prequel film is release endless threads on Luca$ sucks begins.

Chill out. Buy the dvds or don't. Easy soultion.

(Sorry to be a tad harsh, as I've said I'm a huge SW fan with memorbilia, but c'mon I'm sick of Lucas bashing. There's other people who deserves the bashing more.)

thank you well said...

however I don't think Friday fans are all that anal about that series. I'm a fan of the Friday series too and I just take the inconsistancies and flaws for what they are because I admit those movies are really not all that good anyway ... but I still love them.

As far as Star Wars goes fans (and non fans) will criticize every little detail beyond any other film in history wether justified or not. Details in other movies are just as if not more flawed, they just are not studied under a microscope like the star Wars films...

ahh but I digress
Old 09-18-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dead
You know quite well what the response would be.
Well, yeah, it was a rhetorical question. My point being, anyone who has been around here more than 10 minutes should know not to start calling people they disagree with "plain idiots."
Old 09-18-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by badger1997
People are whining and getting all hysterical over something that isn't that serious.
No shit, it's not serious. It could be argued that 99 percent of the things discussed at DVD Talk isn't serious. It's DVDs and movies. But we all like coming here to discuss them. I think we all know we aren't arguing over how to cure cancer.

You also might want to pick up a dictionary and look up the definitions of "whining" and "hysterical," because the only posts I've read here that approach hysteria are the ones attacking people who dare badmouth George Lucas.
Old 09-18-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, getting back on topic and away from hysteria and badmouthers alike....

I was thinking about it today, and after reading that article and other things in it that I didn't post here, I'm excited that it seems the movies, I-VI, will flow better together. That leads me to believe that perhaps Episode III will actually explain some things that need explaining.

For the longest time, I didn't want to see Anakin become Vader b/c I thought that ruined ESB. While I still think it does, I think it's also kind of cool for the audience to know what Luke doesn't. Of course, this also makes Lucas' suggestion that the entire saga is about Anakin more acceptable to me as a fan.
Old 09-18-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts
Considering how the 10 yr olds who view the series will never be able to see IV, V, VI in their original form anyway, I guess it doesn't matter at all.
Old 09-18-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll just watch IV-VI and think of the I-III as a more expensive tale coming from the Clone Wars cartoon.
Old 09-19-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Original doesn't mean better, but that's a topic for an entirely different thread that I'm sure is going on somewhere as we speak.
Old 09-20-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[jay]Fuck George Lucas! Fuck him up his stupid ass![/jay]
Old 09-20-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
Considering how the 10 yr olds who view the series will never be able to see IV, V, VI in their original form anyway, I guess it doesn't matter at all.
True, if their parents were stupid enough to NOT buy the 1995 VHS versions when LFL said "own them for the last time".
Old 09-20-04, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty

You also might want to pick up a dictionary and look up the definitions of "whining" and "hysterical," because the only posts I've read here that approach hysteria are the ones attacking people who dare badmouth George Lucas.

Originally posted by Abranut
Me: Suck my balls, George.
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Fucl kucas!!!
Originally posted by jay77
I think you mean 'Fuck Lucas'
Originally posted by Rogue588
jesus christ, this guy gets more delusional by the minute..

would someone shave his head and slap an 1138 on it already...
yup, no hysteria or whining there...
Old 09-20-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
While the PT did disappont, I really do wish some people would let it go already. If you look at the PT with the re-tooled OT, it makes more sense.
Old 09-20-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by tek2k
yup, no hysteria or whining there...
I resent the implication that my witticism using subject matter from another film that Lucas "altered" to describe what I feel is needed after reading his comment in the first post of this thread has been labeled by you as "hysterical" or "whining".

It is neither.

Trust me, if I wanted to whine or be hysterical YOU'D KNOW.

thank you.
Old 09-20-04, 05:13 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd say watch the movies the way they were released. If you watch Ep1-3 first, you may think the whole thing is crap and not watch the originals.
Old 09-20-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're a 5 year old kid, I would disagree.
Old 09-21-04, 02:29 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
George Lucas and George Bush

yum, Georges make the world go round
Old 09-21-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Original Desmond
George Lucas and George Bush

yum, Georges make the world go round
Old 09-21-04, 03:31 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by calhoun07
But when should I watch the Wookie Holiday Special?
This is how I'll be watching:

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Clone Wars animated series

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Droids animated series

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

Star Wars Holiday Special

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Ewoks: Caravan of Courage (tv movie)

Ewoks: Battle for Endor (tv movie)

Ewoks animated series

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Old 09-21-04, 03:44 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

As for the topic at hand, my two cents here... I do think a 1-6 order will be great once you've seen everything, but not for a newbie. The 'reveals' of Empire and Jedi would be rendered meaningless... not only the "I'm your father" bit, but our first impressions of Yoda and "Leia as Luke's sister", as well. Of course, the addition of the Jabba footage to ANH already wrecks that surprise in RotJ. I also think the droid introductions in TPM are much weaker "first impressions" of those characters than ANH, although you coudl use the argument that it sets them up as "surprises", because you wouldn't have guessed they would end up having such an integral part in the story.

Also, IMO many of the "foreshadowing" or fanboy geekout elements of the prequels so far (Yoda with a saber, Boba/Jango Fett, etc.) only worked because of that advance knowledge. I can't see them being nearly as fun without having seen episodes 4-6 first.
Old 09-21-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Watching 1 and 2, many years after watching 4, 5, 6, I enjoyed the feeling of 'Oh, that explains a lot' and various foreshadowing. When I get the SW trilogy, I'll probably watch those films again because it's been so long. Then when Sith comes out, I'll probably watch that one and mess up the order again.
Logically they should be watched in 1-6 order. Emotionally, perhaps 4-5, then 1-3, since 1-3 are obviously 'technically' more impressive, and the 'look' of 4-6 might feel like a letdown. Realistically, GL was offering an opinion, and you should watch them in whatever order you want.
Old 09-21-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Nah, I'll stick to IV, V, VI, IV, V, VI.
Old 09-21-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still don't see how Lucas will get around the fact that C3p0 grew up at the Lars homestead on Tatooine yet Owen doesn't recognize him (or his voice) and 3p0 doesn't recognize him, or the place.

Most people say "oh the droids' memories get wiped!" Cool -- does Owen's too?

To counter that, most say "come on, there are 10000000 droids in the galaxy!" If that's the case, we've never seen one that a) looks exactly like him or b) sounds exactly like him.

No matter how many times I watch all these films, I still feel like IV is "the first." I hope Ep. III explains a lot so that I-VI viewing will make sense.
Old 09-21-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Toad
I still don't see how Lucas will get around the fact that C3p0 grew up at the Lars homestead on Tatooine yet Owen doesn't recognize him (or his voice) and 3p0 doesn't recognize him, or the place.

Most people say "oh the droids' memories get wiped!" Cool -- does Owen's too?

To counter that, most say "come on, there are 10000000 droids in the galaxy!" If that's the case, we've never seen one that a) looks exactly like him or b) sounds exactly like him.

No matter how many times I watch all these films, I still feel like IV is "the first." I hope Ep. III explains a lot so that I-VI viewing will make sense.
I think I've said it before, but a friend of mine has theorized that if you watch ANH closely, Owen pretty much almost always cuts off 3PO. He says this is because Owen does recognize him as being the property of Luke's dad and he's worried the droid might reveal too much in front of Luke. And when 3PO does talk about battles and such, which fuel Luke's desire to go to the academy, what does he do? Memory wipes...

make of that what you will. It's been refuted before that George hadn't thought of making 3po Vader's/Anakin's creation at that point yet so it's not possible. I dunno, to me it actually does make some sense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.