Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joss Whedon's Serenity

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joss Whedon's Serenity

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got back from wizard world and enjoyed the panel.

Things touched on
-Joss comes out and plays kissy kissy with the action figures.
-talked about the look of the reavers came about.
-Serenity Trailer will be showing up early in summer. Joss said he just watched a rough cut of it
-Showed a clip of
Spoiler:
the gang about to do a bank hiest and then intrupted by a reaver attack

-Said they pushed reavers as much as a PG-13 film could.
-Touched on Wonder Woman just by saying that he couldn't say much other than that she will be much tougher than the old television show version
-Mentioned that if the chance ever came about to do a Firefly show again they would all jump on it, aswell as if there was an opening for a spike movie, Joss would be open for that.
-Jewel and Ron are both not doing any projects at the moment.

It was filled with a lot of filler comical random comments made by Nathan and Joss. Very enjoyable.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 03-20-05 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-20-05, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SoddingNancyTribe's report of the Serenity panel @ Wizard World:
Here’s my report.

Joss and cast appeared in the upstairs ballroom – a smallish 900-seat or so space, - at the LB Convention Center. Since I got in the line at about 12:30, I was able to snag a nice seat in about the 4th or 5th row, and borrowed the wife’s digicorder to record the event. Wasn’t allowed to tape the 5 minute preview from Serenity – I imagine it was the same one that they showed in SF.

Joss came on to great acclaim and said “I have some bad news.” (Holds up new Capt. Mal action figure). “We shrunk Nathan.” (in tiny voice) “I love you all.” He then held up the Mal and Jayne figures, and teased “who wants to see it?”, then had them smooch.

He then introduced the cast, “in order of talent,” starting with Ron, then Morena (still with her stylish short ‘do), Sean, Jewel, and (“bringing up the rear, the baggage, the dead wood, the recently de-miniaturized”) Nathan last. Nathan proceeded to conduct the audience’s applause for a few minutes, then picked up the action figures, and said “it looks just like . . . David Duchovny.” Then they ran the preview, about which I will not speak right now.

Just as Joss was getting going again, Nathan held up the action figure again to show that he’d accidentally broken the arm off, and Ron symbolically said last rites over it.

Here are the more interesting answers to questions:
- Serenity will have a “regular-type” premiere, in Los Angeles in September.
- Joss repeated that David Newman will be scoring, and said that he is a “classical composer, a violinist, and an extraordinary talent.”
- Some relatively non-spoilery spoilers: The “Ballad of Serenity” will not be appearing in the movie. And neither Simon or Kaylee speak any Chinese in the movie (in response to a question for each cast member about what it was like to go back to speaking Chinese).
- Nathan informed us that Sean’s nickname on set is “Sean ‘The Bod’ Maher.”
- Re the focus groups’ reaction to the advance screening: Joss said that the main difficulty with people unfamiliar with the show was “how to get all the information out without making it sound like we were getting all the information out”, and that it was an “eye-opener” to see which parts people were getting. But he emphasized that the film was not being “simplified”: he just wanted to make sure it was as clear as possible without sacrificing the necessary elements they wanted to achieve.
- Re yesterday’s appearance with Stephen Sondheim: Joss said that SS had not seen OMWF, and “didn’t have the slightest idea who I was,” but that meeting him was still “AWESOME!”: “I got to meet an actual real genius yesterday.”
- Joss would like Serenity to be successful enough to make more FF movies (and after Nathan whispered in his ear, “oh, more movies with Nathan.”)
- Everyone applauded a question seeking more info about Wonder Woman. Joss said he “really liked” WW, and seemed totally happy about it. Both Jewel and Morena had their hands up, apparently wanting to be part of the movie. Jewel then said, ever so sweetly, “can I be in your Wonder Woman movie?” Joss, looking meaningfully at Morena, then proclaimed, “where will I find a dark-haired olive-skinned beauty?”

(Nathan and Morena then did a slightly bawdy riff on the Adam Baldwin action figures being “scratch n’ sniff”, which was followed by Joss mounting Nathan’s back. I can’t really do justice to this part . . . )

- The Serenity trailer will be appearing in the summer, “might be May,” and Joss had just seen a rough first cut, “and it’s coool . . . “
- Book’s “mysterious past” is "touched upon" in the movie.
- All of the cast said they would definitely do a Firefly TV show again if given the chance.
- Joss started writing the Firefly universe at the end of BtVS Season 3, after reading a book entitled “The Killer Angels” about the Battle of Gettysburg.
- Joss wasn’t a fan of the 70s Wonder Woman series (“although I wasn’t a non-fan”), but he didn’t think “she was as strong – as she’s going to be.”
- This should please many of you: “If people decide they’re interested in making a Spike movie, I think I’ll probably arrange to do that.”
- Re Joss’s input in the Angel comic – not huge, but he gives them boundaries of things they shouldn’t get into, themes they should stay away from, “because they’re mine.”
- Re Reavers: “the question was how much we could show and keep our PG-13 rating.” Some of the concept sketches for them were drawn by Bernie Wrightson (creator of Swamp Thing).

Well, that’s all I can do for now. It’s pretty much impossible to impart how warm and fuzzy, and funny, the cast and Joss are with each other, and how silly Nathan Fillion is. Good times.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 03-20-05 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-20-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
There an echo in here?

I love how it's a total lack of discussion in this thread.
Old 03-20-05, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Not much to discuss really. No trailer or anything that everyone has seen and can discuss, and most of the interviews and stuff rehash what we already know.

On a related note, you may want to fix the spoiler tags in your wizard world post.
Old 03-20-05, 11:04 PM

There an echo in here?
A deeper, more nuanced echo, yes.
Then try to spark some by bringing up interesting points and asking questions, instead of playing forum cop and making smart remarks.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 03-20-05 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-20-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Barry Woodward
yes.Then try spark some by bringing up interesting points and asking questions, instead of playing forum cop and making smart remarks.

HA! everytime I have attempted to spark a discussion you jump in with comments about how I'm trolling the thread and the last time I did make a discussion go you deleted the entire 4 page thread and reposted only the info you wanted in the thread. Who was playing the forum cop then? You just post articles with no feedback or opinion on the piece and when someone expresses an opinion that is different than yours or attempts to carry a discussion you consider it thread highjacking. You have, in the past, played Thread discussion moderator and decided that the folks shouldn't talk about certain things.

Posting an article can be very helpful to the community, but it doesn't bring anything to a discussion when you don't bother talking about the article in question or frown on any sort of discussion that may lead to off topic material like you have in the past. Try adding in comments other than just cutting and pasting an article you found at chud or aicn.

On that note, I described your actions to Jewel and Moerna and all they could do is laugh at you.

now after that silly joking comment. here's some pictures of the panel.

And for some reason, I now have a box full of serenity buttons

If anyone wants one, send me an e-mail and I'll send you one for the price of postage. Yes, even you barry.

Here's pictures of the panel again

Nathan signing

The lovely Jewel signing stuff... I'll be in my bunk

here's the generic picture they were giving out signed to the folks

and here's the dvd got signed
Old 03-21-05, 12:46 AM

HA! everytime I have attempted to spark a discussion you jump in with comments about how I'm trolling the thread
That's bullshit and you know it. Any discussion of Serenity is totally welcome. You trying to up your post count by playing forum cop and taking every chance you can to get a dig at me, is not conversation, it's trolling. Making a long post bringing up your version of events of an issue that's been done and over with for a while and saying, "Oh and by the way here are some pictures." is not discussion, it's trolling, with pictures (blurry ones, I might add). Seriously, man, I'm tired of this shit.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 03-21-05 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-21-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's bullshit and you know it. Any discussion of Serenity is totally welcome. You trying to up your post count by playing forum cop and taking every chance you can to get a dig at me, is not conversation, it's trolling. Making long posts bringing up your version of events of an issue that's been done and over with for a while and saying, "Oh and by the way here are some blurry pictures." is not discussion, it's trolling, with pictures.

And what would you call that sort of post? Please stop trolling the thread.

"Blurry pictures" Sorry for trying to bring something new to the forum that hasn't been simply cut and pasted from any other internet forum. You know, something that requires some sort of effort. If anything, I would call your constant article updates padding. Count how many times your post in this thread consist of a simple quoted text with the only new text attached to it being "From ______.com" and then you tell me which one is more like a pad post.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 03-21-05 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-21-05, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Anyhow, ignoring the trolls. Talking about the panel, the article missed one of the funniest highlights.

Someone asked what it was like for Nathan to shoot the desert scene from trash. He answered back with a "It was cold, and before you ask, I know what you're thinking and the answer is it was like a frighten turtle"

Over all a good panel and nathan did remember me from a run in before. So even nicer.
Old 03-21-05, 02:03 AM

Sorry for trying to bring something new to the forum that hasn't been simply cut and pasted from any other internet forum. You know, something that requires some sort of effort.
Yes, what an effort listening to Joss and the cast speak, getting autographs and taking pictures is. You must have worked up a sweat. It's cool that you had the opportunity to do that and the pictures are mildly interesting (if a little blurry) but I personally don't live in a city that has comic conventions so that's just not something I can do. Posting the latest news and cool tidbits is the one thing I can do to get people excited about the movie and believe it or not it can be time consuming. I've never said I'm all that but I believe what I do has worth and, judging by the view and post counts of this thread, I suspect others do as well, even if you do not. Once again, please stop the personal attacks and threadcrapping. I don't think that's an unreasonable request nor do I think it's stifling any real discussion.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 03-21-05 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-21-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not saying that your comments are worthless because you didn't get them yourself. I'm saying that it would add a lot if you offered YOUR opinion to the post you made with the articles. It's not about being a "forum police". It's about being interested in what others think of a certain subject. Lets say you post up an article about the date being pushed back, As interesting as the article may be, I can't communicate in a real time manner with the article's writer. But I can real time discuss it with you, the poster. So if that article comes out about the date push, I would also like to see your take on it. Good? Bad? mixed feelings? These are the things I and the others can respond to and from that it strikes up a discussion. Look at other threads where someone is posting news, they usually provide a line or two at the very least about their own opinion on the matter. That is the sort of stuff people can agree with, disagree with and carry a conversation to.

You talk all high and mighty about personal attacks against you, but you get defensive very easily and then jump on the attack.
Yes, what an effort listening to Joss and the cast speak, getting autographs and taking pictures is. You must have worked up a sweat.
Yeah, that's the words of someone who isn't instigating a fight. Then the condscending remark about Blurry pictures? Not the signs of someone who doesn't want a thread to go off topic. Did you miss the part of the thread were I offered you and anyone else who wanted a serenity button? And as for threadcrapping. Oh, ok, so it's all fine for you to post your opinion, but when it's an opinion that differs from your own then it is a pure and simple thread crap? How does that work exactly? I'm tossing suggestions up because the only one really responding to the thread is you. Not trying to play forum police. Just trying to see how a community can discuss a film. It takes personal opinions and those who both agree and disagree with them to get it going.
Old 03-21-05, 03:26 AM

Jack, thank you for posting the pictures and your report. I'm so jealous! I'd love to see the FF crew some day. Especially Jewel...
Old 03-21-05, 04:06 AM

Yeah, that's the words of someone who isn't instigating a fight. Then the condscending remark about Blurry pictures?
Instigating? Who's instigating now? You called what I do worthless in comparison to the effort you put into your one-time con report w/pictures and called me a troll. I countered cracking a joke about your pictures and about how much effort it must have took (looked like a hell of a lot of fun but not work). Seems fair enough to me.
Not the signs of someone who doesn't want a thread to go off topic.
Much too late. It's a catch-22: I hate to dignify your insults with a response but I just can't let some of the comments you've made go unchallenged.
Did you miss the part of the thread were I offered you and anyone else who wanted a serenity button?
It was an underhanded comment and don't pretend it wasn't. "You know, I don't think much of you at all, (by the way, remember when you deleted that thread), I think what you do is worthless (you better not be phantom bumping the thread!), but here's a button." Come on.
And as for threadcrapping. Oh, ok, so it's all fine for you to post your opinion, but when it's an opinion that differs from your own then it is a pure and simple thread crap? How does that work exactly?
Last time I checked we weren't in the "Joss Whedon's Why Barry Sucks" thread. See, this is where you lose me. The opinion you're giving isn't about the topic at hand or even an actual movie-related off-topic detour, it's personally about me. Don't act as if ragging on me is as equally vaild as discussing Serenity in the Serenity thread. Of course, it's threadcapping. I could understand you saying your piece once, maybe twice, but you keep going and going.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 03-21-05 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-21-05, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I hate to dignify your insults with a response but I just can't let some of the comments you've made go unchallenged.
Then the dance continues. You call me a troll all the time. You've edited out plenty of times in the last ten pages, but you have refered to me as a troll in your thread because my opinion differed from yours. Does that not sound silly? as for your efforts, I've also said in many instances and unedited post that I do enjoy the updates, but I'm refering to it being worthless if you aren't providing your own opinion in on the comments. I can go to AICN or CHUD or Darkhorizon or wherever else for those news clippings. How about a little discussion in this discussion board about said news? This can be attained easily by tossing in that when you post the news clippings and it provides something fresh and new to the readers here that would not be getting the same discussion out of the news in other places. Does that make any sense?

It may have been a backhanded comment, but i meant it. Infact, three people have already e-mailed me and my response was
"Yeah, I'll be glad to send you buttons and all you would pay is postage. I literally have a big box full of these things." I may be an asshole or various other names tossed at me. I really don't care. I have a lot of difference of opinions with a lot of people here. That doesn't, for one second, mean that I wont have a beer with any one of them and shoot the shit. Infact, I have had plenty of meets with folks I completely disagree with here on just about every issue possible and it's been totally civil. Shit, I hate dalvin. I literally hate him as a poster. I think no one can be worse than him when it comes to posting. But I saw that he liked Oasis in a thread in tv talk and you know what I did? when info about pre-sale ticket for an Oasis concert coming up crossed my path I e-mailed him it. Did I make a back handed comment? I'm sure I did, but I still provided him info that benefited his interest.

I mentioned the now deleted original Serenity thread because I thought it was a total waste of a thing to do. It was on page 4 and had plenty of discussion going on and then because you felt it wasn't the way you wanted it to go because you weren't moderating it, you deleted it and posted every post you had in a new one. Seemed like you just want to control the way a thread goes and really, it's hard to do it. Let the topic dictate what the discussion will revolve around.
Old 03-21-05, 05:17 AM

Then the dance continues. You call me a troll all the time. You've edited out plenty of times in the last ten pages, but you have refered to me as a troll in your thread because my opinion differed from yours.
You know, I don't recall actually calling you a troll (I may have) but I, of course, think you're trolling and have said so, so the title fits well enough in this instance. I don't think you're trolling because I disagree with you (about myself? huh?) but because you're being one-note to the detriment of everyone else. What part of that don't you understand?
I've also said in many instances and unedited post that I do enjoy the updates, but I'm refering to it being worthless if you aren't providing your own opinion in on the comments. I can go to AICN or CHUD or Darkhorizon or wherever else for those news clippings. How about a little discussion in this discussion board about said news?
The fact of the matter is, for most of the news items, I simply don't have much to add, so instead of taking up space, I don't. When I do have something to add, and I have in the past, I will. I like to hang back and read other people's opinions of the info, if they have any, and join in on any conversations generated from it. Surely, the blame for a lack of discussion in this thread shouldn't be placed soley on me. As for the argument that you can seek out the same articles elsewhere, of course, but this simplies matters not to mention I've posted materials (cast and crew posts on a multitude of message boards, character casting material, certain behind the scenes pictures, the Serenity ComicCon trailer, preproduction art) that even sites like Whedonesque often don't cover.
It may have been a backhanded comment, but i meant it. In fact, three people have already e-mailed me and my response was "Yeah, I'll be glad to send you buttons and all you would pay is postage. I literally have a big box full of these things."
You attacked me and I returned in kind and you act as if you're an innocent and take the psuedo high road with the button. Nice try, but fortunately I've given up my proclivity for collecting buttons.
I mentioned the now deleted original Serenity thread because I thought it was a total waste of a thing to do. It was on page 4 and had plenty of discussion going on and then because you felt it wasn't the way you wanted it to go because you weren't moderating it, you deleted it and posted every post you had in a new one. Seemed like you just want to control the way a thread goes and really, it's hard to do it. Let the topic dictate what the discussion will revolve around.
I don't agree with your spin on the events. I didn't intend to delete the thread as I've said before. Believe what you want. As for letting the discussion go wherever it goes, completely fine with me, as long as you don't get personal, as you're so fond of doing.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 03-21-05 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-21-05, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why don't you two girls take it to e-mail so this thread doesn't get locked.

Jack, whether Barry adds his own comments or not, many of us appreciate his gathering "Serenity" information and posting it here so we can keep up to date. If you find it irritating, maybe you should refrain from repeatedly coming into the thread and starting arguments.
Old 03-21-05, 05:36 AM

From IESB.net:
Our friends over at Universal Pictures were kind enough to arrange a quick interview with Joss Whedon and Morena Baccarin after their Serenity signing over at Wizard World this Sunday.

Joss was able to give us some insight on Serenity and of course we had to take the opportunity to ask him about Wonder Woman. Will we see the lasso? What is going on with the invisible jet? Who is the ideal Wonder Woman? Will it be an origin story? These questions and more are answered by Joss in this very funny interview.

You might be surprised in how Morena Baccarin reacts when we ask Joss who would be the ideal Wonder Woman.
http://www.iesb.net/video/josswhedonwwint.wmv
Old 03-21-05, 08:21 AM
Mod Emeritus

why did this just get bumped up to the top?

Did you just post and then delete your post to simply push this up Barry? AGAIN?

Jack, if you have a problem with a post or a thread, just report it. You simply don't have the facts to work with and your insults here were uncalled for.

... You just post articles with no feedback or opinion on the piece and when someone expresses an opinion that is different than yours or attempts to carry a discussion you consider it thread highjacking. You have, in the past, played Thread discussion moderator and decided that the folks shouldn't talk about certain things.

Posting an article can be very helpful to the community, but it doesn't bring anything to a discussion when you don't bother talking about the article in question or frown on any sort of discussion that may lead to off topic material like you have in the past. Try adding in comments other than just cutting and pasting an article you found at chud or aicn.

On that note, I described your actions to Jewel and Moerna and all they could do is laugh at you.
Jack, if you don't like the thread, don't participate. It's as simple as that. If you do want to participate, stick to the topic and stop commenting on other members.

... You trying to up your post count by playing forum cop and taking every chance you can to get a dig at me, is not conversation, it's trolling. ...
Barry, report the problem posts and let us handle them. You lashing back isn't going to help anything.

Now, with that said... if I see any more of the comments directed at a person instead of the actual topic, I'm going to close this thread.
Old 03-21-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's bullshit and you know it. Any discussion of Serenity is totally welcome. You trying to up your post count by playing forum cop and taking every chance you can to get a dig at me, is not conversation, it's trolling. Making a long post bringing up your version of events of an issue that's been done and over with for a while and saying, "Oh and by the way here are some pictures." is not discussion, it's trolling, with pictures (blurry ones, I might add). Seriously, man, I'm tired of this shit.

Calling a respected member of the forum a troll when youre the one deleting threads when you dont like the comments it receives? Not to mention the post-delete trick (phantom bumping) youve done that is SPECIFICALLY AGAINST FORUM RULES.

Quit being a thread nazi and let the dicussion go the way it will go.
Old 03-21-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jesus Christ children, chill out already. Don't get this one locked with your petty bickering. I kinda like finding Firefly news here, without having to go to AICN, FFF.net, etc.

Just relax.

Update: After seeing the additional messages above, I decided to delete this post, but then decided not to avoid an accusation of bumping. Ah well, back to the show.

Last edited by Pistol Pete; 03-21-05 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-21-05, 12:01 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 590 Likes on 338 Posts
I'd just like to point out that jolt is very sexy when she's angry.

And I can't wait for this movie.
Old 03-21-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

" love you jewel!!!!"

(yes, i sat behind THAT guy on sunday)
Old 03-21-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joltaddict
Calling a respected member of the forum
Respected?

Tila, you do realize you're talking about jack, right?
Old 03-21-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jack's an ass, but he's OUR ass and we lurve him. Don't be dissin' our ass. KTHXBYE.
Old 03-21-05, 12:42 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by joltaddict
Calling a respected member of the forum a troll when youre the one deleting threads when you dont like the comments it receives? Not to mention the post-delete trick (phantom bumping) youve done that is SPECIFICALLY AGAINST FORUM RULES.

Quit being a thread nazi and let the dicussion go the way it will go.

Ignoring a moderators request is against forum rules too. Yet you did it here. The truth be told, it does NOT appear that he had any intent to phantom bump the thread.