Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joss Whedon's Serenity

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joss Whedon's Serenity

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by redinger
Out in July? Was it ever supposed to come out in July? I thought it jumped from April to September?
I think it's saying that there's a comic coming out in July that's a prequel to the movie.
Old 02-14-05, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xander
I think it's saying that there's a comic coming out in July that's a prequel to the movie.
Of course, that's exactly what it says now that I've re-read it.
Old 02-15-05, 12:18 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I got a ticket to a screening of a movie...They won't say a title, but its a scifi-action adventure movie due out later this year. Hopefully its Firefly, but it may be A hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.
Old 02-15-05, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a 50/50 shot of that. I've seen Universal do a lot more of those "A Major film studio blah blah blah" lines when doing their test screenings. So chances are good it may very well be serenity.
Old 02-15-05, 03:02 PM
Suspended

If its Serenity, I will shit my pants. If its something stupid, like The Mask 3 - Return of the Dog, I will shit my pants too.
Old 02-17-05, 12:23 AM
Suspended

Hey all. I got to see SERENITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy fuck is it a good movie. I am more then willing to answer any and all questions you may have to ask, in of course, spoilers ;-) Maybe even who dies....
Old 02-17-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,874 Likes on 1,969 Posts
Spill it, Gizmo.

Who lives, who dies, what happens. Every gorram bit.

(I'm surprised, as many public showings as this movie has had, that the spoilers aren't all over the web.)
Old 02-17-05, 02:45 PM
Suspended

Ill spoil a little. Maybe I'll write a synopsis later...

Spoiler:
We see reavers. Infact, we see TONS of Reavers. We also get to find out how they actually came about. Two main characters die in the cut I saw, Shepard book (who gets 5 minutes of screen time, and Wash (Pilot, Zoeys husband). We find out ALOT about River, about her past, and what her purpose is (Miranda...). Mal and Inara actually finally kinda 'hookup', and Kaylee and Simon do infact hookup (which may the audience disgusted). River has some REAL kickass moves. Imagine Buffy attacking 20-30 vampires at once with swords and an axe. Man, I'm still trying to process everything. Oh, the COOLEST thing!!!!!!! The firefly screw has to get to a distant planet, and in between them and the planet is HUNDREDS of Reavers ships. What do they do to pass by? Pretend there REAVERS! HOW? They attach tons of dead bodies and blood to there ship to blend in!!!!!!!

Thats it for now...more later....All I can say is it was an awesome movie.
Old 02-17-05, 02:48 PM
Suspended

BTW, I was at a test screening with about 500 other people. They asked 20 people to stay, and of course asked me (They wouldnt tell us what movie it was till we were all seated, and when they said Serenity I jumped up and screamed, lol). In this 20 people group, there was only one other person who had even seen Firefly, and 2 others who have even heard of it!
Old 02-17-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
BTW, I was at a test screening with about 500 other people. They asked 20 people to stay, and of course asked me (They wouldnt tell us what movie it was till we were all seated, and when they said Serenity I jumped up and screamed, lol). In this 20 people group, there was only one other person who had even seen Firefly, and 2 others who have even heard of it!
Lucky
Old 02-17-05, 03:23 PM
Suspended

BTW, Joss Whedon was actually at the showing, and I am almost positive I saw Kevin Smith (some others did as well)
Old 02-17-05, 04:44 PM

Maybe I'll write a synopsis later...
Please do.
Old 02-17-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
awsome, thanks for the updated on that gizmo.
Old 02-17-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Ill spoil a little. Maybe I'll write a synopsis later...

Spoiler:
We see reavers. Infact, we see TONS of Reavers. We also get to find out how they actually came about. Two main characters die in the cut I saw, Shepard book (who gets 5 minutes of screen time, and Wash (Pilot, Zoeys husband).
That's kind of surprising...

Spoiler:
I can't really see them killing Book off -- that really took me by surprise. As of "Objects in Space," it seemed like they were sort of hinting at something sinister about him with his "unspoken" line to River and Early's "That ain't no Sheperd," comment.

I also have to wonder if those were "real" deaths; it wouldn't surprise me if they shot several death scenes for various characters to play during previews so the real spoilers wouldn't get out. I remember, a while back, Joss made an offhand comment about shooting Mal's death scene.

Another thing has occurred to me... if they do a sequel, it could possibly be a prequel that takes place before the events of the series. It's been hinted that all of the "non-crew" characters have "pasts" -- Book, Inara, River, Simon -- and a movie could be made that centered around all nine characters before they all met in the TV pilot.
Old 02-17-05, 06:58 PM
Suspended

Following up.....Alot of spoilers about what happens to the crew.

Spoiler:
Well, if he did infact shoot alternate death scenes, they need to reshoot the ending too. As there is a funeral with 3 tombstomes (Book, Wash, and a new character called Mr, Universe). Also, Wash's death is pretty bad. There is no way he is coming back after what happened to him (He had a spear go right through the middle of him). Zoey also mentions his death alot, so alot of scenes would need to be reshot (unless they did infact do alternate scenes already). Shepard is really only in this movie for 5 minutes or so, and they hint yet again about his background, but nothing else is mentioned. There is also possibility for others deaths if they did infact shoot alternate ones. Kaylee is hurt pretty bad, so is Simon and Mal. Infact, everyone of the crew gets hurt. Zoey gets sliced in the back after seeking revenge, Simon shot, Mal getting the crap beaten out of him and stabbed through the chest, Jayne getting shot, Kaylee getting a ninja-type star in her neck, Book getting shot in the chest, Wash getting a huge spear through his chest....The only ones not hurt were Inara and River (besides a couple of scrapes). I can easily see Joss shooting a suicide ending to this movie. I really thought they would all be killed. Infact, I had though the movie ended at one point, but they went on a bit further, when they can infact end the movie at a certain scene and leave it up to are imagination. Thinking a bit further, it could be possible Wash survives at the end. He gets a spear through his chest, and they leave him on the ship. They could always go back and see he's still breathing, same with Book. Sorry, this sounds like rambling, its hard to put all my thoughs into right now.
Old 02-17-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

wow. that sounds pretty depressing. I'm still there though.
Old 02-17-05, 07:48 PM
Suspended

Jack, kinda surpirsed you havn't seen this yet. You always managed to see everything before anyone else, lol.
Old 02-17-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I couldn't make it to the screening some months back. it's on the list of stuff I want to see though. I'm sure they will do a couple more test screenings before its release though.
Old 02-17-05, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by Joss Whedon:
I'm not gonna have time (I'm very important) (Oh -- typed an "r" in there by mistake) next week to post any kind of report, okay people? So I'm gonna do it now.

Wow, Wondercon was lame!

First of all, where was the "Jake and the Fatman" panel? I got on a frikkin' PLANE for that, people. Second of all, my panel -- WAY too many math questions. Then there was Summer, drunk again, and Adam, stumping for Nader and talking Greenpeace till your ears fall off, and Nathan... it's called showering, pal! It's like hugging a dumpster, I swear.

The little clip I showed from Serenity offended EVERYBODY. Like necrophilia is some sort of "taboo" any more. People, it's the 21st century! And in the movie, it's even later! Get with it, or towards it.

John Cassaday. Doodles a few mutants, thinks he's all that. There's a way to treat fans, John, and Fierce Tarantula Karate technique is not one of them. Whatever. I punched out a few fans too, but that was ONLY 'cause they were littler than me. And one of them insulted Jake. Or the Fatman, I don't remember all of it. I have a cold.

Some highlights: The girl in the Harley Quinn outfit. What a night! Call me. The big burly security guard assigned to me. What a night! Call me. Meeting my first "fan". Spoiling the plot of everything Bendis is going to write for the next three years, which by the way he's already written, teacher's pet. Seeing the trailer for that ridiculous movie: a guy dresses up like a bat? Yeah, THAT'll sell.

Good times. I'm looking forward to looking back on it one day and laughing. Uncontrollably, hysterically laughing till I die with this insane grin on my face while the Joker robs the bank that I plan to become manager of. Excelsior!

Yours et cetera,

Joss

P.S. Portions of this were totally true. Well, only the part where I have a cold.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 02-17-05 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-17-05, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Another thing has occurred to me... if they do a sequel, it could possibly be a prequel that takes place before the events of the series. It's been hinted that all of the "non-crew" characters have "pasts" -- Book, Inara, River, Simon -- and a movie could be made that centered around all nine characters before they all met in the TV pilot.
Oh the HELL with that. Establish the vehicle as is, not talking already of prequels for something that hasn't even hit the theatres. That would lose my interest in a heartbeat.
Old 02-18-05, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by Wilef @ FireflyFans.net:
While I never saw Firefly before, I've always liked high quality sci-fi. I've never been interested in anything else Joss on television. Nothing against him as a writer, I was just never interested in the subject matter (vampires, demons). The only thing I watch on tv is Smallville. I used to watch Star Trek (TNG, DS9, and Voyager). When I heard that the movie was based on a TV show that was cancelled after half a season, I was really skeptical, because in my opinion there's a lot of sci-fi out there that isn't that good or just doesn't appeal to me. I was never interested in Babylon 5 or Stargate SG1 or anything else space related on tv. But I decided to go after I found out what a following this show had and how many DVD sets were sold. The 1200 reviews on Amazon were almost all 5 stars...impressive! So, the audience was hoping the movie would be Star Wars and they were disappointed to find that it wasn't.

I was pleasantly surprised with a lot about this movie. Like I said earlier, the cast worked really well together. I liked the captain and Kaylee the best. I didn't care for Jayne as much or Simon who I don't think was a character on the show.

The setting was pretty unique to sci-fi, the old west feel was really cool and more convincing than I thought it would be. They all talked like cowboys, but it worked for me, much edgier than Star Trek, anti-Star Trek really. I like the idea that the Alliance/Federation is like big brother, it let's you root for the 'bad guys' because they don't buy into the system.

There were some special effects missing in the showing, most notably a scene where the Serenity was completely unrendered, but I'd say that over 90% of the effects were in place and only needed brushing up. I heard that the show had really good effects for a tv show and I'd have to agree from what I saw of the movie. I heard it had a $40 million budget which isn't huge for today and the special effects were top notch.

There was some cool camera work too. You remember movies with good cinematography like Fight Club and anything M. Night Shyamalan does. There were a few scenes where you do stop and think 'That was a cool way to film that scene.'

I think the sound effects were probably incomplete too, but they're on the right track. The bass was great when ships would fly by in atmo. The sound would make you want to see this in a theatre instead of at home.

I liked the music a lot, I don't know what the music was like in the show, but the only word that comes to mind to describe it would be 'adventure'. I think it worked perfectly for the movie because that's what I think of the crew, always looking for an exciting adventure.

Ok, what I didn't like was a couple of lines that were just kind of shocking. In the beginning of the movie there are children talking in class (in the Alliance) about rumors of the Reavers. I'm assuming the Reavers are a part of the show. Anyway, instead of just saying they rape and murder, the little kid says they rape people for hours and hours. Kind of a shocking, way too descriptive statement to make, especially from a kid. Second, Kaylee seems like a sweet, innocent character, but she makes a comment about the only thing that's been between her legs in the last year runs on batteries. Admittedly funny, but it doesn't seem to fit the character and too much information for my taste.

Besides that, there were a couple of scenes that didn't work for the audience (many were laughing out loud) that were supposed to be either romantic or somber. Sci-fi does has it's cheesy moments, but I think the biggest problem was that a lot of the people in the audience weren't the type of people who would like this type of movie. It's not mainstream Hollywood material. The movie will have a niche audience that just won't include the typical moviegoing crowd. As long as the studio understands that and doesn't try to make the movie look like something it's not, it should do well enough to be a profitable film.

In closing, I enjoyed the film, my interest is piqued enough to want to see the DVDs, and I think it has the potential to revive interest in starting the show back up.
Originally posted by KevinIanBeaumont @ FireflyFans.net:
If you don't like spoilers, avoid.

Seriously.

Please.

(hightlight to read)
Spoiler:
- There's no Book backstory. Sorry. I think, however, with words in the present it's verbally explained what Book's about.

- There's no Inara backstory. Sorry.

- The opening shot takes around 5 minutes, and is one of Whedon's longest steadycam shots yet. It takes you from Mal talking to Zoe, to Jayne, to Kaylee, to Simon, then it goes to the back of Serenity and he talks to River. It's basically one big introduction to Serenity (the ship) and Serenity (the film).

- River and Mal have kick arse fight scenes. If you liked The Matrix, you'll f'cking love Rivers fights.

- River is a weapon, designed by the Alliance. She's a trained killer, and a bloody good one.

- One scene involving Mal will really, truly shock you all. You know Joss was saying he wanted to make Mal dark originally? Remember that. Joss actually meant very dark, and a bit disturbed underneath.

- The current workprint screener is 2 hours 5 minutes. This will probably be cut down based on an feedback - it's a tad long for mainstream release at the minute.

- You see Reavers on screen. The makeup is well done. Whedon doesn't keep them on screen long - it's quick cuts, going for scares.

- Swearing - 'shit' and such.

- It's so very, very funny.

- The final scenes of the movie. Think Reaver attack, River, Mal, guns, swords, kicking, punching, death... It doesn't stop.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 02-18-05 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-18-05, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So is Joss aiming to get a PG-13 with this film or is he going for the R?

Granted, they could get away with this on TV, but the MPAA is a whole different ballgame.
Old 02-18-05, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a Universal movie, so hopefully we'll get the Gorram Filthy, Bloody, Uncensored/Unrated Edition on DVD.
Old 02-18-05, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's some news on the Dark Horse Comics series that bridges the gap between the series and the movie (co-written by Joss Whedon hisownself): http://newsarama.com/forums/showthre...threadid=27841

And some cover art

And a sample from the artist doing the interior art
Old 02-18-05, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Joss Whedon:
Hey, it's me -- or an incredible simulation! Still recovering from that intense Wondercon experience I had in the near future. And that fun announcement about the Serenity comic that I made... if you're a comic book geek such as my own self, you were SO psyched. If you're not, you dozed off. But I definitely have something up my sleeve... it's an arm! A hideous arm! Get it off me!

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 02-18-05 at 07:15 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.