Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

why do some hate pulp fiction?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

why do some hate pulp fiction?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-04, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Debaser, this thread is about Pulp Fiction; if you have some aggression to vent, I would suggest that you take it to e-mail or instant messaging.
Old 08-24-04, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or I could just put the fucking 'dorks' on my ignore list couldn't I?
Old 08-24-04, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could.
Old 08-24-04, 08:12 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Debaser

Outclassed my ass. It wasn't a debate.
Yes it was. You lost it. Like you usually do, but keep trying Debaser because it's often always good for some laughs here.
Old 08-24-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't bother revealing the source material.

Haha. I guess I lost the debate. I mean when someone says it's a debate then it's a debate right? Like there can be 10,000 ppl posting messages 'yeah, you lost the debate' and it means it's true right? Either that or they can be complete utter morons defending their position to the death because of pride or because of ego.

In other words your post doesn't mean shit. It doesn't prove shit so why bother. It's another dumb ass distorted opinion. Much like my opinion is a dumb ass distorted opinion.

Re: your post-- Oh you got me so good Rivero. That cut deep into me like a dull plastic knife.

At this stage in the game after all I've said, 'it's an opinion, it's not personal, whatever you think of the film is valid, etc' what is the point of continuing it?

Rivero, put me on your ignore list and I'll do the same. That goes for any and all of you if you want.
Old 08-24-04, 09:48 AM

Not that there could be a possible defense for Debaser's debasing posts ...

"Thread: why do some hate pulp fiction?"

Threads like these are "setups". I have been a member of many boards. Put my foot in my mouth many many times. But I know when I see a thread about not understanding why people think the way they do ... it usually indicates a trap.

They want the people (designated in the title) to come here and defend their opinion as to why they think the way they do .... then wham. Ambush time. I have watched it hundreds of times on different boards.

Debaser walked into the trap with his guns in hand. Unfortunately, for him he forgot to load his weapon.

The title alone should tell you this is an ambush. Notice the number of POSTERS who like the movie out number the POSTERS who do not, when clearly the question was not being asked about them.

How insightful is:

'What do people who like Pulp Fiction think about reasons why some people hate pulp fiction?"'

If you invite people to discuss a topic with your title, at least respect the fact that they are an invited guest.

If you are an invited guest, don't put on the lampshade before you get drunk.
Old 08-24-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
where indeed is the excessive drug use? obviously some of you haven't seen requiem for a dream or trainspotting. (the drug use is only seen during the date story) also, the movie isn't all that violent. if another director directed this movie, we would have seen some closeups of the shootings in the apartment. also we might have seen what marvin looks like, other then just talking about it.
Old 08-24-04, 09:52 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I wasn't trying to "setup" Debaser or "ambush" him. I was taking his post at face value, and asking the titles of the two films was out of my own curiousity.
Old 08-24-04, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Debaser
I didn't bother revealing the source material.

Haha. I guess I lost the debate.
Maybe not the debate, just whatever credibility you had left that you didn't already flush down the crapper.
Old 08-24-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
where indeed is the excessive drug use? obviously some of you haven't seen requiem for a dream or trainspotting. (the drug use is only seen during the date story)
You just answered your own question there, didn't you?
Old 08-24-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To some *any* onscreen drug use is excessive.

Frankly, the snorting scenes didn't bother me. It's just when they drag in the needles that I get uncomfortable. A needle full of adrenaline jabbed viciously into someone's solar plexus is not only excessive, but it's violent, too.

The violence in Pulp Fiction is pretty excessive. After all, we do see a guy getting shot point blank inside a car. If that isn't excessive (even if you don't see his brains splattering all over) what is?

True, movies like the unrated version of Robocop were far more *graphic* in the shooting scenes, but you can hardly say Pulp Fiction wasn't just as or a bit MORE violent.

I also think people may have been bothered by more than just the violent gore aspect. I'm sure the implied rape scene (think Gimp) in the movie probably bothered people enough to make them not like the film.

For the record, I absolutely loathed Requiem for a Dream, mainly because I don't enjoy watching movies that make me feel like shit after watching them. I didn't hate Pulp Fiction. In fact I liked it enough to drag a friend to go see it as soon as I stepped out of the theater.

I don't like the movie enough to own it on DVD, but I like it enough to watch it when it appears on cable.
Old 08-24-04, 12:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Dead
Guys, some of this is getting to personal. Let's try to keep the discussion on the topic and avoid making remarks about other members.

Or, we could just end the discussion instead.