DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   why do some hate pulp fiction? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/381395-why-do-some-hate-pulp-fiction.html)

Rypro 525 08-22-04 04:48 PM

why do some hate pulp fiction?

one of my monthly reports at the broadcasting institute of maryland is to write a 1 minute review of a movie showing both points of view (those who love it and those who hate it)
its personally one of my all time favorite movies but i need to find some people that hate the movie as well.

Tarantino 08-22-04 05:00 PM

I hate it because...

Oh wait, it's my favorite movie of all time. Scratch that.

Doughboy 08-22-04 05:13 PM

I heard that some people were walking out of screenings back in 1994 because they couldn't stand all the rampant drug use in the film. I can see where they're coming from, although I would always disagree adamantly with anyone who claimed Pulp Fiction glorified drugs. Uma Thurman nearly ODs and John Travolta ends up in a bathtub riddled with bullet holes(unrelated to his heroin addiction, but still).

Jackskeleton 08-22-04 05:13 PM

Who hated it? I think you would have an easier time with a movie like A.I.

Sessa17 08-22-04 05:28 PM

Whether they admit it or not, I think most that hate it (especially here) simply hate it b/c it's an extremely popular & influential movie, thus they have to be that guy.

Tscott 08-22-04 05:29 PM

This movie was soooooooo stupid. I mean how could John Travolta be alive in the restaurant at the end after he was shot by Die Hard?????? WTF!1!!!?

Er, I meant to say, some people may not have liked the non-linear aspect of the film and found themselves confused at places.

Also, some people might not like the fact that all the characters are crooks, drug users and lowlifes- in other words that there's no clear hero to root for.

Or like the time I took my dad to see it in the theater (it was the third time seeing it for me) they may have come out of the theater with only one observation: "That movie was weird."

El-Kabong 08-22-04 05:34 PM

I dont nessassarly hate it - I do think it's an over-rated movie, but I have no hate for Quint or the film.

Lara Means 08-22-04 05:47 PM

Pulp Fiction has to be the most overrated movie of all time.

Tarantino 08-22-04 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Doughboy
John Travolta ends up in a bathtub
Incorrect.

mllefoo 08-22-04 05:49 PM

I like the movie but believe that Quentin Tarantino is much better BEHIND the camera than in front of it. His presence on screen is just so damned irritating. I really enjoyed the bits of the movie he wasn't in.

Of course any movie with Christopher Walken has to be good. Right? Right?

Oh yeah, he's just too cool for words.

"More cowbell."

Rypro 525 08-22-04 05:50 PM

Originally posted by Lara Means
I'm looking for specific reasons.

The Wizard 08-22-04 05:51 PM

Quentin Tarantino said he may do a prequal to Pulp Fiction using the Vega Bros.

Just Lurking 08-22-04 06:19 PM

Originally posted by The Wizard
-ohbfrank-

The idea for Kill Bill started during the filming of Pulp Fiction. Look how it took for Kill Bill to come out. Since he working on Hell Ride for 2006, maybe he talks to often in an unconscoius stream of thought (ideas).

He has talked about anime prequel to Kill Bill, another Kill Bill film in the future, InGlorious Bastards and a Pulp Fiction prequel.

Take your choice.

The non-linear timeframe was probably the biggest turn-off for most viewers, I would guess though

Jackskeleton 08-22-04 06:19 PM

Originally posted by The Wizard
thanks for the year old news. it should take QT another 7 years to get that started on it if it ever even comes to past. Also, it still doesn't provide our young friend here any reasons why people would dislike Pulp Fiction.

I say you get another film that wasn't so loved Rypro. People will hate Pulp Fiction simply to take a counter to popular stance on the matter.

Groucho 08-22-04 06:24 PM

I agree with jack, there are a lot better "Love/Hate" movies. Such as FH911 or Passion.

Frank TJ Mackey 08-22-04 06:49 PM

Let's just be honest here. Some people will say they do not like a movie simply because it has too much R-rated content in it.

I saw PF about 5 times in 1994 in the theater. I had family and friends that said it was 1. too weird, 2. too much f-word, 3. too much drugs, 4. too much humor involving drugs, 5. non-linear storyline bothers people.

I actually know one guy that told me (before I saw it) that "John Travolta dies man, and then he's like alive again. It was f'ing stupid" - LOL

So it's just people's taste I guess.

Jackskeleton 08-22-04 06:53 PM

Some people will say they do not like a movie simply because it has too much R-rated content in it.
those prudes wouldn't know a good movie if it came up and stabbed them in the ass!

lisadoris 08-22-04 07:32 PM

I'm one of those people who just didn't care for the move. No it had nothing to do with the R-rated content (I'm a big girl and can deal with it) I've just never cared for QT's films. I went into Pulp Fiction thinking "OK, I didn't like True Romance or Resevior Dogs so maybe, just maybe I'll like this one." Well no not so much.

I'm usually a fan of dark humor but I found it difficult to laugh at some guys head being blown off in the back seat of a car. Add to that QT's insistence on dropping N bombs throughout his movies and his piss poor acting skills and Pulp Fiction was the last movie of his I will ever see.

mikehunt 08-22-04 09:25 PM

I wouldn't call it the most overrated, but it is a bit overrated
I like it enough that I bought it, but I don't watch it very often

Gyno Rhino 08-22-04 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Sessa17
Whether they admit it or not, I think most that hate it (especially here) simply hate it b/c it's an extremely popular & influential movie, thus they have to be that guy.
Yep. This is a popular reason for teh haet.

mllefoo 08-22-04 09:52 PM

I'm still miffed at Mr. Tarantino for messing up his Oscar acceptance speech.

He should have walked up on stage with a briefcase, opened it, shoved the Oscar inside, latched the case, and walked off.

It would have been perfect.

flyboy 08-22-04 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Lara Means
Overated? No way...not even close. This is arguably the most influential movie in Hollywood since Star Wars in "77". For sure one of if not the best film of the 90's...and Im not even a huge fanboy.

Groucho 08-22-04 10:17 PM

Originally posted by lisadoris
I'm usually a fan of dark humor but I found it difficult to laugh at some guys head being blown off in the back seat of a car. Add to that QT's insistence on dropping N bombs throughout his movies and his piss poor acting skills and Pulp Fiction was the last movie of his I will ever see.
I guess Four Rooms is your loss, then. :(

Jackskeleton 08-22-04 10:20 PM

so there wasn't any influential films between 77 and 94? wow.

You would have thought that Back to the future, the abyss, terminator 2, Jurrassic Park would fall under those aspects

flyboy 08-22-04 10:30 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
so there wasn't any influential films between 77 and 94? wow.

You would have thought that Back to the future, the abyss, terminator 2, Jurrassic Park would fall under those aspects

Why don't you go back and read what I typed....did I say anywhere that it was the only film? And no the ones you mentioned were not that "groundbreaking" Its crap like this that starts arguments...I said "one of, if not the best..."