Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien vs. Predator or AVP reviews?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alien vs. Predator or AVP reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, certain animals can become asexual.
Old 08-29-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
yes, certain animals can become asexual.
Not only asexual, but actually change from female to male to female if necessary.

http://www.szgdocent.org/ff/f-reef3a.htm
Old 08-29-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by scott1598
certain animals can switch genders? when did this revolutionary new Darwinian concept come about?
Afraid
You must have forgotten that the dinosaurs were able to reproduce by changing their gender, thanks to frog DNA used to complete their gene sequences, in Jurassic Park. Perhaps you found the film a traumatic experience, and have relegated the painful memories to brood and fester in your subconscious.
Old 08-30-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts
I finally saw this yesterday with my free ticket. I did'nt think it was that all bad. Yes, the plot was silly, the predators armor were too bulky for my taste, the final fight with the Alien queen was not as good as Ripley fight in Aliens. But I still thought this movie was nothing more than a good old fashion popcorn flick. I well wait for the R-rated directors's cut when it come out on dvd.
Old 08-30-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So how come RESIDENT EVIL 2 is being released rated R and not AvP? You would think, being that RESIDENT EVIL is solely based on a video game, that they would want to PG-13 it for the teenie boppers as well.
Old 08-30-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uhh...yeah, I guess I forgot that a queen was in Ripley and not just a soldier, but what is the sequence by which a queen comes to be? Does another queen have to lay a special egg with a special facehugger or what???

I only saw Alien 3 once a long time ago, so I forgot a lot of the details
Old 08-30-04, 01:26 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure about Aliens but in ants I believe that an egg is given special hormones(or something). Too lazy to google it.
Old 08-30-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by darqleo
So how come RESIDENT EVIL 2 is being released rated R and not AvP? You would think, being that RESIDENT EVIL is solely based on a video game, that they would want to PG-13 it for the teenie boppers as well.
different studios and so different ideas of what they want out of their film. simple as that.
Old 08-30-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well there is a very enlightening interview about A v P at Bloody Disgusting with Peter Briggs, who has been on and off the project for the entire 13 years of development hell.

Seems like he took umbrage at Paul Anderson trying to claim that Paul's version of A v P was cut by the evil stuidos

Its worth the entire read but here is just the stuff about cut scenes, alien gestation, etc.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/ind...plate=newsfull

[Mr. D: Anderson says all the best scenes in 'AvP' have been cut?

He did?? Really!? That's...fairly unbelievable. I've got several drafts of his script from over the last year or so, including the last few shooting drafts, and...he said that? What "best scenes"? Pretty much what he wrote in the script's up there. The only major thing of any consequence I'm flashing on is a daft scene where the Predator strips out the Alien's brain and plays chicken-claw with it. There's a peachy coffee table book of the A.D.I. effects work that I picked up at the Comicon, and there's some pics of that in there. It's not like Anderson wrote a lot of fight scenes in his thing to begin with. And I don't think either of the opening scenes were ever filmed? There's some dialog that's been trimmed, sure, but...?

Mr. D: Anderson insists if we'd seen the "real film", it explained away the alien's growth through the machine the Predators built to accommodate the Queen, pumping her full of accelerative hormones.

Well, that's...enlightening. I have no idea where he's getting that from. It's not mentioned in any line of dialog, or even scene description, in any of his drafts I've read. Unfortunately, this particular horse has bolted, so it's pointless trying to close the stable door now.
You know, I once asked an executive behind Anderson's "Event Horizon" what the longer cut of that was like, because I actually liked some stuff in it, and he told me flatly there wasn't one. So, a longer "A vs P" cut? I'd certainly be very curious...

Last edited by chanster; 08-30-04 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-31-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm, interesting.
Old 09-06-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 659 Likes on 509 Posts
I find these to points interesting:

Mr. D: So now, obviously, it'll never happen?

Strangely enough, I was told recently by an exec that Fox might still be interested in doing it, with a bit of reworking. I don't know about that. I think its thunder's been totally blown. Now, I'd sooner write a standalone "Alien" or "Predator" movie, personally. In fact, in '99 -- I think - I went into Joel Silver's and pitched a "Predator" movie set in the 18th Century, but both franchises were in a state of panic-stricken flux then, so....
Mr. D: At a recent L.A. industry screening, as mentioned by a poster on our site, Anderson said your draft is "locked down" by Dark Horse. What happened there?

He said that?? That can't be an actual quote! I don't know where he gets this stuff. He really said that? That's crazy! In fact, at the "Hellboy" premier party, Larry Gordon and Mike Richardson -- who owns Dark Horse, and I've know properly for about 7 years, since I met him on "Hellboy" -- we all grabbed a table and had a long riff about "A vs P", and what it would have been if we'd have been doing it, like we originally planned. And Mike and I talked about this again when I bumped into him at the San Diego Comicon. If that's an actual quote, Anderson doesn't know what he's talking about. In fact, and here's an irony...such a long period of time went by, that the rights to my material reverted to me...and over the last 18 months, Fox had to re-option them again to legally get the movie done! So, yeah. I can quite categorically state that Fox owns my draft, and I have the paperwork to prove it. "Locked down by Dark Horse"...gimme a break!
So I guess there's still hope for the Briggs script.

And I dig the 18th century Predator movie idea. Predator movies in the past was something I've wanted since the scene with the gun at the end of Predator 2.

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-06-04 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-07-04, 02:17 PM

Received 825 Likes on 540 Posts
From pvponline.com today:

Old 05-16-06, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
*blows dust off thread*

All right. I finally got to see this... film. My dad (alien fan) actually bought the tape for himself despite me saying that I would eventually buy the DVD and since I have the first two Alien dvds.

I really don't know what the editing differences are between the vhs tape, regular dvd, and unrated dvd. The run time seem to be different for all three.

Anyway, as for what I thought about the movie... well, my main problem was that I didn't like all the ritual stuff since I would have thought that these creatures weren't that primitive. Then there's the issue of the Predator actually teaming up with Alexa. Now I thought that was pretty cheesy. Plus there hardly was any character development except for Alexa

But the stuff I liked - probably my favorite part - was when the predator got to see all these alien eggs with the green scanner screen then him throwing a bomb at them. Thought that there was some good fight sequences.

I kind of liked it. Overall, it is still pretty bad, but there's just something about it that I still like. Guess it is a sci-fi monster thing.

Any thoughts about the unrated dvd?