Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Open Water

Old 05-16-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why did the drivers leave the people in the first place? I know this is based on a true story and would be interested to know the facts.
Old 05-16-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Why did the drivers leave the people in the first place? I know this is based on a true story and would be interested to know the facts.
I've heard of this happening at least twice recently. Once I believe was in Australia, the second being here in the states.

Dive boats generally go out with 10-20 people, and I guess they forget to do a headcount before heading back to shore. If a diver or two are still underwater they're screwed.
Old 05-16-04, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
If I recall correctly, it was an accident. But admittedly, I dont know a whole lot about the occurence.
Old 05-16-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Originally posted by Pants
I'd be Magnum all the way mother F'er! I'd drive the Ferrari and wear the short-shorts and everything.

And wow they filmed in the real ocean with real Moon Jellys! I hope no one got hurt
I still think you' be screaming like a sissy everytime something you couldn't see under the water rubbed against you (including the dreaded seaweed against your leg)
Old 05-16-04, 08:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by johnglass
How much money could this movie possibly have cost that they didn't have any left over for special effects? I mean it looks like it's primarily a cast of two people, and set in the middle of the ocean.
It cost a half a million dollars to make.
Old 05-17-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It looks interesting, but not spectacular. Kind of like Blair Witch on the ocean IMO, so it might be a decent matinee.
Old 05-17-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just saw the trailer for this yesterday and I can't wait to see it. To me the some scariest movies are those that leave a lot of the emotional impact (special effects, etc) up to the viewer. Blair Witch was the same way, I was scared to death (because I wanted to be) while someone else may think it's boring. This movie may be the same, many will either love it or hate it.
Old 06-07-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks good to me - it might turn out to be another one time only flick but it doesn't look too shabby............from the trailer anyway.

Better trailer link
Old 06-07-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Saw the trailer and I would not have the ability to watch this. a static scene and every worse case scenrio event that can happen does... uh.. no thanks.
Old 06-07-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Saw the trailer and I would not have the ability to watch this. a static scene and every worse case scenrio event that can happen does... uh.. no thanks.
Do you mean because films like that are crappy or because they rack your nerves to no end?
Old 06-07-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

why do they just tread water in that same spot the whole time? Why not just head towards a land mass? I mean - in the morning, swim towards the sun - have lunch - swim away from the sun as it sets - sleep at night. I suppose if they were coming from a small island, that would make it much more difficult. After seeing that second trailer, I'm much more interested.
Old 06-07-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Rival11
Do you mean because films like that are crappy or because they rack your nerves to no end?
personal preference really. I'm sure it's great for some folks, but it just doesn't float my boat (hurrr hurrr get it, it's a reference joke to the film... ) Just something that after a certain amount of time will make me scream out "GET ON WITH IT!"
Old 06-07-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks good,can't wait to check it out.
Old 06-07-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like these guys are trying to cash in like the Blair Witch guys did.

Make a vague movie with a small cast, digital camcorders and five bucks and turn it into a sleeper hit.

Not a bad idea IMO because it might work. And if it doesn't, then eh you're out of five bucks.

Anyway, this movie could be pretty decent. I don't see myself spending $9.25 on it however. I'll probably wait for it to hit HBO.
Old 06-07-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
personal preference really. I'm sure it's great for some folks, but it just doesn't float my boat (hurrr hurrr get it, it's a reference joke to the film... ) Just something that after a certain amount of time will make me scream out "GET ON WITH IT!"
I hear ya - I'm also listening to 3001 with the Blair witch thing - it is sort of like that only at a higher level............I guess.
Old 06-16-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Open Water thoughts

I saw Open Water this week. I know there has been a lot of hype surrounding the film, and was bid up by multiple studios. There has also been some people saying this 'looks like Blair Witch on the water'. Well, it is shot on DV cams (and you can tell) and is noticably low-budget. However, I came out of the film happy. The story (which is already known) is kind of scary to think about as-is. The acting was good, but not great. The beginning of the film was a bit akward for some reason, but that's not why I came to the film

Once they get on the water and
Spoiler:
realize they are stuck out in the middle of the ocean,
it gets very interesting. The
Spoiler:
shark scenes
are truly freaky and there are definetly some parts that made me jump (and not due to throwing a loud noise out and flashing something quickly across the screen either). The nightime scene when the thunderstorm hits is simply badass. Very well done.

The lead actor Daniel Travis was in attendance and gave a nice Q&A after the film. He brought up some interesting things, the best being that
Spoiler:
this type of incident happens all to often.
I can not wait to see this gem again

***.5/****
Old 06-16-04, 10:25 AM

Cool...thanks for the info. This is actually my girlfriends most anticipated summer movie. It has a pretty cool premise....I'll definitely check it out this summer.
Old 06-16-04, 10:55 AM
Banned

Looks pretty good.
Old 07-08-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

anyone see "open water" yet?

I know its made the festival runs, and all, but have any of you seen it? The trailers make it seem very scary (and reviews too), but many people that saw the trailer during a couple of movies ive been to were wondering how indeed a movie can be scary with 2 people trapped in a ocean for 90 minutes
Old 07-12-04, 12:05 PM
Cool New Member

I havent seen it, but I have seen the trailer. Looks very good. I like the concept I will go see it for sure.
Old 07-12-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Excellent movie, as I posted here last month.
Old 07-12-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is probably my most anticipated movie of the summer. I can't wait to see it.
Old 07-12-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been highly anticipating this movie also. I haven't seen anything on it though in months.
Old 07-12-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When does it open?
Old 07-12-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think i heard early august, in prob. art house theaters only

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.