Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I, ROBOT reviews...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I, ROBOT reviews...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-04, 07:59 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
"I, Robot" is to the 2000's what "Runaway" was to the 1980's.
I'll take Tom Selleck in "Runaway" than Will Smith in "I, Robot".
Old 07-17-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Originally posted by scott1598
"I, Robot" is to the 2000's what "Runaway" was to the 1980's.

Plus RUNAWAY had Gene Simmons and Kirstey Alley.
Old 07-17-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoyed it. Good summer popcorn movie. It was much better than I expected it to be.
Old 07-17-04, 10:57 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by UKingdom
lots of eye candy (thanks to Alex Proyas, the visuals in the movie are great
I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but I disagree. Any director with that budget could’ve come up with the I, ROBOT world. I just don’t buy that Proyas is all that great. There are other directors with better track records who don’t get nearly as much fanboy love as this guy.

We’ll see what people still think of him once GARAGE DAYS hits video for all to see…
Old 07-17-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Personally I hated the Crow, found it melodramatic, overwrought and campy, but I absolutely love Dark City, and haven't seen Garage Days or I, Robot yet. So the jury's still out on Proyas for me.
Old 07-17-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was okay. I'm not going to pan it. Will Smith played the Will Smith role and thats what people expect to see, and the special effects were pretty good.
Old 07-17-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You and me both!!
Old 07-17-04, 06:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by iggystar
I enjoyed it. Good summer popcorn movie. It was much better than I expected it to be.
Same here. I left the theater unexpectedly surprised.
Old 07-17-04, 07:59 PM
Banned

My review (very long, you have been warned):

First, let me state that I'm a huge fan of Asimov's Sci-fi stories. As is commonly known, and fairly obvious to anybody familiar with the good Doctor Asimov's works, the movie is only loosely based on his Robot series of stories. And much to my surprise, this movie adaptation does not totally suck.

I know, I was shocked too. I went in expecting to get angry about how they ****ed it up. Well, they didn't. Instead, what they basically did was to capture the feel of some of the robot stories by creating a new story which had room for action sequences.

Let's be upfront though.. there's a lot of cool action sequences. Amazingly enough, the CGI in this flick is actually extremely well done, unlike, say, Spiderman 1. The problem I had with Spidey was that the CGI was totally obvious. The smoothness and clear fakeness of the CGI sections in Spidey took you out of the movie. However, in "I, Robot", the CGI is basically all-pervasive. The robots look fake as hell, but then they are supposed to be fake.. they're frickin' robots. All in all, they did an amazing job at making the fake bits and the real bits look like they really were part of the same scene. Even the 100% CGI sequences retain the same general feel and look, so there's no abrupt transitions to draw you out of the story.

Now to the story. This will be the spoiler full part, because I don't feel like beating around the bush and not giving away the ending.
Spoiler:

Still reading? Okay. The story is simple.

Will Smith plays a cop in 2035. He's vehemently anti-robot, mainly because one time a few years previously, he was in a car accident and his car and another crashed into a river. Him and a 12 year old girl survived the crash, but were going to drown. A robot jumped in and due to the circumstances could only save him or the girl. So it saved him and left the girl, because the robot calculated that he had a better chance of survival than the girl did for whatever reason (45% vs. 11%). In this process, the robot basically totally ****ed up his right arm, which is now a robotic arm (you don't find that out until midway through the movie, although I figured it out a good 10 minutes earlier than that in the flick... they left plenty of obvious clues to this...).

Okay. That is background that is revealed during the course of the story. The actual plot is that the guy who invented the three laws of robotics (Alfred something...) seemingly commits suicide at US Robotics, by jumping out his office window. He leaves a holographic message for Will Smith, and leaves a bunch of clues sort of thing. It's obvious that it was a murder, basically, but everybody wants to think it was a suicide because they totally trust robots. Everybody thinks robots can't kill, but Will Smith obviously thinks otherwise, and in the first ten minutes of the flick kinda proves it, as he catches a robot named Sonny. Sonny was specially created by Alfred (he calls him "father"), and is not subject to the three laws.

There's a good scene here where Sonny hides amongst 1000 robots that all look like him. Anybody familiar with Asimov's robot stories will instantly recognize this scenario as coming right out of the short story "Little Lost Robot", although Will's solution is far different than the stories' solution by Susan Calvin.

Anyway, Sonny is captured and taken back to USR after a bunch of plot. Upshot is that everybody still thinks Will Smith is crazy for not liking robots. Now, all this is happening on the eve of USR's latest new robot introduction, the NS-5. The big new feature of the NS-5, which is critical to the plot, is that it has an uplink capability. Every night, it calls home and gets new programming.

There's a long and somewhat pointless mystery action adventure where Will Smith is besieged by random NS-5 robots trying to kill him but nobody believing him about it. It's actually quite entertaining, but it's fairly obvious that it's this uplink capability that's the cause of these NS-5's breaking the three laws, as they glow red when uplinked and that's the only time they get murderous around Will Smith.

Anyway, long story short is that USR is controlled by this big positronic brain named Viki, which the murdered man created. It too is controlled by the three laws, but is intelligent enough to have worked out its own interpretation of those laws, in that it thinks that humanity must be protected from itself. Asimov fans will recognize this as the "zeroth law", although it's not stated as such and Viki doesn't seem to have come to the concept of understanding mental harm vs. physical harm. Anyway, Viki is controlling the NS-5's via the uplink capability, and eventually they basically hold a revolution, rioting in the streets and fighting humanity. They also kill all the NS-4's and previous models, to prevent them from interfering. It's a good plan, actually, but you'd think a bit of patience would have been in order, if they'd planned on the least harm possible. Viki's already got an idea of the greater good to the greater number, so this is the next logical step.

Anyway, there's a lot of action and Will Smith ends up killing Viki, restoring all the NS-5's to normal. At which point humanity promptly gathers up all the robots and puts them in storage around Lake Michigan for some reason, when the more obvious thing to do would be to smash every last one of them and burn down the USR building.

In the end, it's revealed that Sonny, Alfred's "son", did in fact murder him. Why? Alfred asked him to. He'd learned about Viki's plans, and Viki was basically keeping him hostage so he couldn't spill the secret before Viki was ready to run the revolution. So he set up a trail for Will Smith to follow, then asked Sonny to chuck him out the window. Sonny, not being limited by the three laws, did so.

So... Short version of the plot: Robots start to get a glimmer of the zeroth law, and **** it all up by trying to take over the world. Will Smith stops them.

For those of you not familiar with the three laws, they are the basic plot device invented by Dr. Asimov in order to write all the stories he did. Basically these stories all deal with the consequences of the three laws, and how a machine capable of thinking, but not really capable of emotion, would react to them. The three laws seem to be a comprehensive guide to safety, but of course they are not when you see it from some perspectives. Nothing is certain like that.
First Law: A robot may not harm a human being, nor, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
Second Law: A robot must follow the orders of a human being, except where this conflicts with the first law.
Third Law: A robot must protect its own existance, except where this conflicts with the first or second laws.

In the stories, the robots developed, through an accident, the ability to read (and eventually modify) human minds, and through this they developed a corollary to the first law, which became known as the zeroth law. The zeroth law states that a robot must protect humanity, and may not allow humanity to come to harm. This is basically just the first law applied to greater numbers of human beings.. If a robot can save either one person or two people, but not all three, it will save the two people, since they are of the greater number. When they learn to read minds, they are able to perceive other types of harm than mere physical harm, and the later novels in the robot series actually deal with this.

In the movie, Viki has basically gotten complex enough to have a different perspective on things and is able to see how humanity harms itself via wars and so on. The whole thing is basically Viki's interpretation of the first law.. Since humanity harms itself, prevent humanity from doing so. In other words, if mankind can't play nice, sit on them and force them to do so.

All in all, it was a good flick. It wasn't total crap, and it held pretty true to the spirit of the good Doctor's stories, if not the actual text of them. But to be honest, I can kinda see that, because the stories were not really movie oriented. They were people talking, and ideas, and concepts.. They never really came down to action oriented drama, and would not have made good movies if strictly interpreted. The movie did a reasonably good job at keeping the ideas and putting in enough drama and action to make the flick interesting. Even if they did turn Susan Calvin from a brainy old woman into a semi-hot geekess who doesn't really display any original thought throughout the movie.

That was the only thing that really bothered me... In the stories, Susan Calvin's unique mental capabilities are generally what solved the problem at hand. She never really trusted robots either, even though she had an extremely detailed knowledge of them and had created most of them herself. In the movie, she's a person who can't even operate a CD player that uses button controls instead of a voice activated control (yes, this was an actual scene in the flick), and so it reduced her role to basically mental eye-candy for geeks. I was pleased with the eye-candy, but less than pleased with the dumbing down.

Final Otto tally: Worth seeing at the theater. This is about my highest rating for a movie, however in this case I only suggest it because of the high quality CGI scenes and the action, which is, frankly, some of the best I have ever seen. If the CGI had sucked a little bit, I'd say wait for rental.
Old 07-17-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was hoping for a smart intelligent scifi, but it was too much like T3 or the Matrix Trilogy or AI. Action was cool, but it was too talky and not interesting talk either.
Smith was okay, Bridget is as usual (but I can't help seeing her as Sandra Bullock's sister), but Alan Tudyk stole everything.
I like Proyas. He did his best with the wannabe Minority Report world and added some intersting (and vertigo-inducing) angles and tricks.
The scene(s) with that kid were dumb and pointless. There was only one real good joke ("Sorry I'm allergic to BS), but for some reason evryone was laughing. I haven't said this in awhile, but the art direction, CGI, and other FX stole the show. Worth seeing for that, or you could watch that 10 minute thing on HBO. I still found it kinda fun, although it was a tad too long.

Grade: C+
Old 07-17-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Otto
Spoiler:
They also kill all the NS-4's and previous models, to prevent them from interfering.
I thought this was one the best scene's in the movies, I really felt sorry for the 4's.

Last edited by clemente; 07-18-04 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-17-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The film was a piece of shit, plain and simple.

Akiva Goldsman is a no talented hack and Alex Proyas should be ashamed of himself.

I want my $6.00 back. Thankfully it wasn't nearly as awful as Van Helsing.
Old 07-17-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed this flick. As Otto said the CGI was good IMO.

Grade: B
Old 07-18-04, 09:13 AM

I went in expecting the typical summer film, and that is exactly what I got. Great action sequences, great CGI, and some funny one-liners.
Old 07-18-04, 07:00 PM

Frank the tank said it. I didn't expect it to be much of a movie but i was pleasantly surprised. Oh yeah the one liners were great!!
Old 07-18-04, 10:57 PM
Banned

was it better than bad boys2?
Old 07-18-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Originally posted by Gcomeau
Frank the tank said it. I didn't expect it to be much of a movie but i was pleasantly surprised. Oh yeah the one liners were great!!
I got invited to go see it tonight. I didn't really plan on seeing it, I was going to wait until it came out on DVD.

With that said, I was also pleasantly surprised with the movie. I haven't read the story, so I can't comment on how/if they butchered it.

I liked Will Smith's character. He was much less over the top than he usually is in these summer flicks.

The CGI was very, very well done. Much more so that most of the flicks I've seen in the past year or so.

Overall, I'd give the flick a B rating.
Old 07-19-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Otto
<unspoilered, because this part doesn't really spoil anything>

All in all, it was a good flick. It wasn't total crap, and it held pretty true to the spirit of the good Doctor's stories, if not the actual text of them. But to be honest, I can kinda see that, because the stories were not really movie oriented. They were people talking, and ideas, and concepts.. They never really came down to action oriented drama, and would not have made good movies if strictly interpreted. The movie did a reasonably good job at keeping the ideas and putting in enough drama and action to make the flick interesting.
This was something I was really pleased to see, too. I think that the smartest thing that they could do was to come up with a new story that remains true to the spirit of the original stories. I thought they pulled that off masterfully.

I have to say I'm really surprised to see so many people give this a bad review. I thought it turned out to be a great action flick . . . a good balance of action, sci-fi, some humor, and some brain candy to chew on.

I thought the Smith did a pretty impressive job and movie away from the always light-hearted action characters that he usually plays (i.e., he shows a relatively broad range of emotions in this).

And, as jonpeters mentioned, Alan Tudyk did an awsome job . . . did anyone else see him in the crowd of police officers on the floor near the end? I'm wondering if they gave him a brief part to avoid some of the nonsense that Andy Serkis dealt with around Oscar time for not actually being on screen?

Anyway, I'm really glad I ended up seeing this and could very well see possibly cathing it again in the theaters.
Old 07-19-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Does anyone remember what Sonny said when he was running down the hallway with VIKI talking to him? VIKI said something to the effect of, "We have to do this, it makes sense, don't you see...?"

And he replied with, "Yes, I understand, but it all sounds so ______"

I felt like I heard him say something that sounded like "fargas." Anyone remember?
Old 07-19-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i liked it alot.... thoought it was better then expected
Old 07-19-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by PacMan2006
Does anyone remember what Sonny said when he was running down the hallway with VIKI talking to him? VIKI said something to the effect of, "We have to do this, it makes sense, don't you see...?"

And he replied with, "Yes, I understand, but it all sounds so ______"

I felt like I heard him say something that sounded like "fargas." Anyone remember?
Heartless.
Old 07-19-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ah......thanks.
Old 07-19-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I first heard of this movie, I was excited -- finally, Asimov's Robot stories on screen! As I read about the production however, I became progressively delusioned that anything close to Asimov's vision was going to get made. As such, I went into this movie expecting very little. With that expectation in place, I was actually pleasantly surprised. (Although I think I would have been enormously disappointed had I gone in expecting an Asimov movie.) This is actually a pretty good summer flick and well worth seeing in theaters. Very little to do with Asimov, but fun in its own right.

I'd like to comment on the 'zeroth law' that Otto talks about above:

The zeroth law states that a robot must protect humanity, and may not allow humanity to come to harm. This is basically just the first law applied to greater numbers of human beings.. If a robot can save either one person or two people, but not all three, it will save the two people, since they are of the greater number. When they learn to read minds, they are able to perceive other types of harm than mere physical harm, and the later novels in the robot series actually deal with this.
If anyone's at all interested, there is a science fiction trilogy that deals with this issue very well (mostly from a more ethereal artificial intelligence perspective rather than a robot perspective): The Golden Age trilogy by John C. Wright.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Well worth the read if you're an I, Robot fan.
Old 07-19-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only problem I had with the movie was the fact that it took place in 2035. The technology level and infastucture level seems to be too advanced to be only 31 years from now. It should have been set in 2070 or something. It did have me thinking what my age would be then and what caracters in the movie would currently be my age now.

Other than that, I enjoyed it.
Old 07-19-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i enjoyed it alot. i think it was better than minority report.

and at least fresh prince didn't have that over-the-top sass:

oh no you did not shoot that robot microchip shit at me!!!
you besta back up, before i shortcircuit your existence
get ready for megahurtz!!!

Last edited by peon73; 07-19-04 at 02:53 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.