Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Door in the Floor

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Door in the Floor

Old 07-15-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Door in the Floor

Has anybody had a chance to see this yet? It's based on John Irving's "A Widow For One Year."

the trailer is here:
http://www.focusfeatures.com/home.ph...r_in_the_floor

Here are a handful of blurbs from critics.

Village Voice (Ed Park) --
Eliminates much of its source's plot, focusing on the book's first third. The result is a crisply shot chamber piece for husband, wife, and boy.

The New York Times (A.O. Scott) ---
Surely the best movie yet made from Mr. Irving's fiction. It may even belong in the rarefied company of movies that are better than the books on which they are based.

The Hollywood Reporter (Michael Rechtshaffen) ---
The production is graced by bold performances, lyrical visuals and, most notably, Irving's own words, which have made the transition quite intact thanks to a faithful but still filmic adaptation by writer-director Tod Williams.

L.A. Times {soon to be NY Times} (Manohla Dargis) --
Bridges turns a two-dimensional image into a presence so vital, so filled with breath and blood, that you uneasily fall in love with his character and abandon all thought of the artifice that's brought it to life.

Premiere (Glenn Kenny) --
There are more than a couple of moments in this film, adapted by writer-director Tod Williams from a big swatch of Irving’s multigenerational quilt "A Widow for One Year," that get Irving’s sense of grotesque tragedy and tragic grotesquerie just right

Last edited by Frank TJ Mackey; 07-15-04 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-15-04, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
sounds interesting - never heard of it though... never heard of that book either. Trailer?
Old 07-15-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Considering how much I've enjoyed the other movies based on Irving's novels (including World According to Garp, Hotel New Hampshire and The Cider House Rules), I'm really looking forward to this!
Old 07-15-04, 10:18 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Positive)

http://www.filmjerk.com/nuke/article969.html
Old 07-15-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm SO looking forward to do -- hope it opens here this week. Nice to see Basinger/Bridges team up again after the unfortunate "Nadine".
Old 07-16-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was only in 47 movie theaters as of Wednesday, July 14.

Compare that with "I, Robot" being in over 3,400 and try not to gag as Will Smith is shoved down your throat.

The Door in the Floor seems like one of the very few films with marketable actors aimed at the non-teenage boy crowd this summer.

It's too bad that not many people outside of the major metropolitan areas will have a chance to see it.

It will expand some I would imagine.
Old 07-16-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BoxOfficeMojo has it listed as expanding to 105 screens next Friday. If anybody has seen it yet how is it and what kind of crowd is it drawing in it's first week of limited release? I doubt even when it goes to 105 that it'll be anywhere near me. Have to hope it does well and continues to expand. 66% fresh at rottentomatoes.
Old 07-16-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's playing about an hour and a half away from me, I'm going to see it on Wednesday, been waiting for a while.

This movie, Garden State, and Napoleon Dynamite (which I saw and loved) are my most anticipated movies of the summer.
Old 07-16-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

loved this book! cannot wait to see the film. the only bad thing i've heard so far is about the boy who plays eddie, someone mentioned that whenever he's on the screen you catch yourself anticipating the adult's return. he is a newcomer and supposedly not able to hold his own amongst bridges and basinger...

hopefully will get to this this weekend!
Old 07-16-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

great that they used DMB in the trailer.

I really want to see it, but doubt it will come. Dvd it is.
Old 07-17-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
I saw it the other day and really enjoyed it. It's a must-see for John Irving fans. The script is smart and Jeff Bridges is great, as usual. I haven't seen Tod Williams first film, but I'm anxious to see it now. He has a good eye, the last shot in particular is inspired, and he handles the difficult emotional shifts, from abject sadness to slapstick comedy, well.

The movie has its flaws - Mimi Roger's character is underwritten and mishandled, Dakota Fanning's sister, who plays the daughter, is off-puting, and the pace drags now and then. The guy who plays Eddie is overshadowed by Bridges and Basinger, but the more I think about his performance the more I like it. Pretty demanding role.

The owner of the theater where I saw it was disappointed by its business, which surprised me. It's a good alternative to the big popcorn movies out now, hopefully it'll find an audience once word-of-mouth spreads.

Last edited by William Fuld; 07-17-04 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-17-04, 06:36 PM

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts
Isn't this only based on a small portion of the novel?
Old 07-17-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Geofferson
Isn't this only based on a small portion of the novel?
It's based on the first 1/3 of the novel. The following 400 pages after it take place 30 years later, which is why they didn't get into filming all of that I would assume.
Old 07-17-04, 10:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by William Fuld

The movie has its flaws - Mimi Roger's character is underwritten and mishandled, Dakota Fanning's sister, who plays the daughter, is off-puting, and the pace drags now and then. The guy who plays Eddie is overshadowed by Bridges and Basinger, but the more I think about his performance the more I like it. Pretty demanding role.

I personally didn't find Elle Fanning's performance off-putting, I thought she did a commendable acting job.
Spoiler:
Her reaction though after finding Eddie (Jon Foster) sodomizing Marion Cole (Basinger) was a tad weird and too comedic.
Old 07-26-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm guessing this will never play in more than 150 theaters or so. That's sad considering how much absolute garbage is playing all across North America right now.