Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What Does Everyone Think of "Wrong Turn"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What Does Everyone Think of "Wrong Turn"

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Any Buzz from Wrong Turn?

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0295700

Eliza Dushku.
Old 05-17-03, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/wrong_turn/

Not really trailers but TV spots.
I'd like to see a trailer though. I know little besides the plot and that Eliza Dushku is in it (and Lindy Booth)....well that's enough to get me there.
From the TV spots it seems to play too much like a typical teenage slasher flick, and we can all do without that. But its is rated R, so all hope is not lost.

It's coming out May 30th and it has no presese at all in the market, that has to be a bad indication.

Might be a nice filler movie between the big blockbuster of May and June.

Word of warning...if you go to their website, don't read the "story" stuff unless you want to know the majority of Act I including the first few who bite it.

Last edited by clemente; 05-17-03 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-17-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just saw the ad on TV. I see Billy from SFU is in it as well. Eliza is so hot it's enough for me as well.
Old 05-17-03, 08:48 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only guy who will see just about anything Eliza does. Even if they added her to the cast of "Friends" I'd consider watching it!

I hope I start seeing the ads for this on TV more frequently. All I've caught so far was the very end of the ad a couple days ago. It was Eliza and some other gal looking scared......actually, I can't be sure if the other person was a male or a female, since I was mesmerized by Eliza's spellbinding beauty.

The IMDB Plot Outline is [spoiled, just to be super-safe]
Spoiler:
A carload of six teens find themselves trapped in the woods of West Virginia, hunted down by "cannibalistic mountain men grossly disfigured through generations of in-breeding."

Wasn't there a Wes Craven movie with a VERY similar plot? Was it "The Hills Have Eyes"? Maybe this flick was pitched by an eager screenwriter as "It's Wes Craven meets Deliverance!"
Old 05-18-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really want to see this (eliza...drool).... but man, the marketing is non existant... I had no idea this was coming out so soon... is this going to be a very limited release or what?

MATT
Old 05-18-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I, for one, am glad the teaser is just that: a teaser. I don’t want to know any more than that. I’m looking forward to this one. It has all the earmarks of a classic 80’s style slasher flick (I can only hope the writers and director never saw any of the Scream movies). I'm geting a Texas Chainsaw Massacre/ Hills have Eyes vibe from this movie that excites me in very disturbing ways.
Old 05-18-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This movie was produced by Stan Winston and his teamdid the effects. It is supposedly a straight-forward horror film, where a group of teenagers take a 'wrong turn' and get mixed up with a family of imbred cannibals.

I'm glad it's a straight horror film w/no self-referring humor. Ina Fangoria interview w/Stan Winston, he said it's a throw back to Hills have Eyes and TCM. I've only seen TV spots, but it has my money....plus it has Eliza (I think every post said that!).
Old 05-19-03, 09:20 AM

Re: Any Buzz from Wrong Turn?

From the official homepage
http://www.wrongturnmovie.com:

ROB SCHMIDT's (Director) feature film credits include "American Heroes," "Crime and Punishment in Suburbia" (which was nominated for the Grand Jury Prize at the 2000 Sundance Film Festival and the Grand Special Prize at the 2000 Deauville Film Festival) and "Saturn," which he also wrote.
For television, Schmidt directed the series "An American Town."

ALAN B. McELROY (Screenwriter) wrote the screenplay for "Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever" and the horror fantasy feature "Spawn," based on the popular Todd McFarlane comic book. He also wrote and directed the thriller "Layover," starring David Hasselhoff and Gregg Henry.
Among his other screenplay credits are the action comedy "Rolling Thunder," "Rapid Fire," starring Brandon Lee, and "Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers," both directed by Dwight H. Little; and the drama "Left Behind." His television writing credits include "Murder by Night" and "Wheels of Terror."

BTW:
Eliza Dushku.
is buzz enough for me
Old 05-19-03, 10:35 AM
Suspended

I'll see it cuz of Eliza but from the 2 little clips I saw I just get the idea it's just another horror/slasher type of movie
Old 05-19-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just saw the preview, and until they said the name of the movie, I thought that it was for Jeepers Creepers 2.
Old 05-26-03, 09:21 AM

Was just about to start a new post, but first did a search. The girlfriend told me there was a new horror movie starting this weekend (we go see them all in theatre). I never heard of any so I did a quick search. The plot sounds exactly like Hills Have Eyes....one of my personal favorites. Definitely in the top five of horror flicks.

I haven't even seen a promo of anything for this flick, but I'll be there Friday night for sure.

Movieking...whats new mang...long time no email.

I DID see the promo for Jeepers Creepers 2 though. It starts off looking pretty cool, and then gets progressively lamer and lamer. But no doubt I'll probably be there opening night.
Old 05-26-03, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by movieking
I just saw the preview, and until they said the name of the movie, I thought that it was for Jeepers Creepers 2.
Same here.
Old 05-26-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I just think its funny that Jeepers Creepers featured Warren (Justin Long) Cheswick and Jeepers Creepers 2 features Stella Vessey (Nicki Lynn Aycox) who played Warren's "girlfriend" on Ed....Ed's ruling the world!!

Kidding, I actually have seen one commercial for Wrong Turn, and if that's all I knew about it, I would wait for video. The marketing department must have taken the day off this movie came across their desks.
Old 05-26-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ALAN B. McELROY (Screenwriter) wrote:
- "Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever"
- "Spawn"
- "Layover"
- "Rolling Thunder"
- "Rapid Fire"
- "Left Behind"

Well if it sucks, we know why...
Old 05-26-03, 05:00 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
- "Spawn"
- "Layover"
- "Rolling Thunder"
- "Rapid Fire"
- "Left Behind"

Although his script for Halloween 4 was one of the best sequels in that series. Maybe he's just lousy at action and religious movies?
Old 05-26-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
- "Spawn"
- "Layover"
- "Rolling Thunder"
- "Rapid Fire"
- "Left Behind"

Dude, Rapid Fire rules!!!
Old 05-26-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's getting very heavily promoted on MTV and I think FX. I hadn't seen anything and then last night while surfing the net I left MTV on in the background. Every other commercial break included a commercial for the movie. Then my wife taped a Buffy episode off FX this morning and it had at least two or three commercials for the movie as well as Eliza pimping some marathon of Buffy episodes she is hosting in an attempt to promote Wrong Turn.

I'm still not sure if I will catch it or not. The whole premise sounded kinda stupid to me, but the scene at the end of the commercial I saw most with Eliza and the other girl in their underwear kinda peaked my curiousity.
Old 05-27-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

wow...the screenwriter has written some of the most craptacular movies in recent years...hopefully this will be an exception. Looks like the film will open in about 1500 theatres, which isn't too bad....

Fox had submitted 3 different cuts of a theatrical trailer to the MPAA and all were rejected for being "too intense", so rather than keep going, Fox decided to scrap the theatrical trailer all together and opted to just buy TV spots... has this been done before?? I know this isn't a huge movie, but for a summer release to forego a theatrical trailer altogether is....frucking crazy! Well, I'll be seeing it on Friday regardless...but that screenwriter has got me worried...

MATT

but stan winston rules
Old 05-27-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, I found this over at FANGORIA.COM. Not really any spoilers opr even a serious review but makes me only want to see it more:

"A WRONG TURN to Serious Terror

By NATHAN TYLER

“This is hardcore horror.”

That’s how FX wizard/producer Stan Winston describes WRONG TURN (opening May 30 from Fox) during Fango’s visit to the Toronto set. The film is being touted as a throwback to the more visceral, reality-based brand of terror which dominated screens in the 1970s, and aficionados of this era in horror history should be pleased to hear that you won’t find wisecracking killers or CGI monsters anywhere near this film.

“There’s nothing camp about this movie. It’s very hardcore horror, and has the tone of DELIVERANCE and THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE,” says Winston, who is producing the film with Brian J. Gilbert through his Stan Winston Productions, as well as handling the FX. “It’s the real deal, and we haven’t seen—I don’t think—a really good serious horror movie in quite a few years.”

Similar to those classics cited, the plot of WRONG TURN follows a group of unwitting young people who, after making a you-know-what in the West Virginia wilderness, are hunted and terrorized by three inbred, cannibalistic mountain men. The kids must then, of course, fight for their lives against the baleful trio. Directed by genre freshman Rob Schmidt from a screenplay by Alan B. (SPAWN) McElroy, and executive-produced to the tune of $15 million by Robert (RESIDENT EVIL) Kulzer and Erik (I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER) Feig, WRONG TURN features one of the hottest young casts in recent memory, with Eliza (BUFFY) Dushku, Desmond (GHOST SHIP) Harrington, Jeremy (MAY) Sisto and Emmanuelle (RICKY 6) Chriqui tackling the lead roles. Well-acquainted with the genre, all of the actors were gung ho about adding the project to their résumés…except for Dushku, who apparently needed some coaxing after reading the script.

“She didn’t want to do another one of those horror movie romps,” explains Winston, “and I basically told her that this is not just another one of those—this particular movie isn’t like the movies or TV shows [she is used to]. This is not BUFFY, this is not SCREAM, this is much more of a throwback to the down-and-dirty horror of the ’70s, and not be one a typical film for her.”

The saving grace, though, was that the actress happened to be a fan of director Schmidt’s indie festival dramas CRIME + PUNISHMENT IN SUBURBIA and SPEED OF LIFE. “I was interested to meet him,” says Dushku, “and to see why he took [WRONG TURN] on and what he wanted to do with it, because the characters really didn’t have a lot on the page. I thought it would be cool to see what he did with it. And then I ended up meeting with Stan and he showed me all the special effects aspects of the movie, and it was just kind of intriguing and appealing.”

For the director, WRONG TURN posed an opportunity to do something completely different from the work he had done in the past. A lifelong genre fan, Schmidt explains, “I was looking for a horror film. I had a movie at Sundance before this and I did indie stuff, punk rock videos, things like that. I really wanted to do a genre movie, and I read a lot of scripts that were not so good. And then I found WRONG TURN. It was very simple and well-executed, and exactly the sort of thing that I wanted to make.”

As with Winston, what drew Schmidt most of all to the screenplay was that WRONG TURN couldn’t be further removed from much of today’s mainstream horror fare. “The script doesn’t wink at the audience and it doesn’t attempt to be funny; there’s no irony in it,” notes the director. “It has characters you’re supposed to invest in. That’s what these movies—when they’re good—do. Even the bigger ones like JAWS and ALIEN, they do the same thing.” Of the ’70s comparison, Schmidt is careful to note, “This is not a homage—it is like another one of those movies.”

“It’s physical horror. It is shocking. It is unsettling. It is very visceral. It is extremely organic,” adds Winston, the FX master’s flair for the theatrical in full tilt. “The goal is to make you believe when you sit down that the filmmakers are really out to hurt you, and out to scare you. And not let you think, ‘Oh, we love that one. That person is a good one, so she won’t die.’ Yeah, she will. And in a really horrible way.”

(See our WRONG TURN set visit in FANGORIA #223, on sale May 20.)"

Link!
Old 05-27-03, 04:01 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
On a related note, I saw The Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the first time last night. And, um, if Wrong Turn is aiming for that vibe, I don't think it could possibly "fail."
Old 05-27-03, 10:29 PM
Banned

Trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/wrong_turn/trailer/

Wrong Turn has a Texas Chainsaw Massacre vibe to it, especially with who the villians are. Seems like a horror film that will earn it's R rating. The trailer wasn't some cheesy teen flick that made me rolls my eyes like Jeepers Creepers 2 or Cabin Fever, so who knows.
Old 05-27-03, 11:00 PM
Banned

Just watched the trailer and that seems like a freaky movie. I'll be first in line on Friday to watch it though !
Old 05-28-03, 08:26 PM

'Wrong Turn' Looks Incredible

Anyone else seen the trailer for this new flick (coming out May 30)? It looks like a seriously good horror movie.
Some inbred freaks trap some motorists by causing them to get in an accident. From there, it looks like pure madness.
Who else is looking forward to it?
Old 05-28-03, 08:28 PM
Banned

There was a thread about it recently I believe.

I've seen the trailer and it looks incredibly creepy.

I'll be first in line on Friday to see it.
Old 05-28-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Duplicate thread.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ght=wrong+turn

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.