Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will 9/11 be nominated for best picture?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Will 9/11 be nominated for best picture?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisKnudsen
Yeah I would also like to point out that no other war documentaries have made more than 80 million dollars and have hit closer than home for our generation. To show that this is not a war worth fighting for you need to at least find one person who now believes that but used to. But anyways to keep this in the same post instead of a Moore battle, with this in mind, F/11 will be nominated.
With how liberal Hollywood is, yeah that might happen. I truly hope it doesn't...Moore's film ain't that great, and while it's success is impressive, it hardly represents anything special film wise. As a piece of propaganda and in rallying support it's done very well, but I think it'd be a giant waste to have this get nominated for best picture. Almost as bad as giving Gladiator best picture. Heh.

But we know the Academy...it'll be interesting if Passion and f 9/11 are both nominated. Cause the Academy tends to like these runaway box office successes that are...not normal. Granted, I would hate to see F 9/11 get nominated, but I will concede with our Hollywood it is possible. But honestly it won't be about quality...it'll be politics moreso than ever. I can understand why some might admi're F 9/11, but if you actually honestly think it deserves best picture, I think you're crazy. It's not even Moore's best work by far at all. If Roger and Me can't get a best pic nod, no way in hell this should.
Old 07-13-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Oh, and "The Passion of the Christ" has about the same chance of getting nominated for best picture as "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle".
Old 07-13-04, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Abranut
Oh, and "The Passion of the Christ" has about the same chance of getting nominated for best picture as "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle".
Over-exaggerate much?
Old 07-13-04, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Rivero
Over-exaggerate much?
Not really.

What people seem to overlook about the "Passion" is that while it was an enormous financial success, it was equally hated and loved by the critics. It was given a 51% Fresh rating at Rottentomatoes.com. If the critics are indicators of how the academy would vote when comparing "The Passion" to the other films released this year, it seems very unlikely that it will get a nomination.

So far, Harold and Kumar are 100% Fresh, so I think their chances are better at this point.
Old 07-13-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts
Neither the Passion nor 9/11 will be nominated for Best Picture. The Oscars haven't been truly edgy in years -- consider that last year it was thought revolutionary just to have a fantasy picture win. You'll see stuff like "The Aviator" and Stone's Alexander The Great picture be nominated instead.
Old 07-13-04, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Neither the Passion nor 9/11 will be nominated for Best Picture.

Thou hast spoken, Nostradamus. Could you please tell me what next week's Powerball winning numbers will be? There's this really cool six-piece Pearl drumset I've been eyeing for some time that I'd really like to get.
Old 07-13-04, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Rivero
Thou hast spoken, Nostradamus. Could you please tell me what next week's Powerball winning numbers will be? There's this really cool six-piece Pearl drumset I've been eyeing for some time that I'd really like to get.
You've been trolling all day at the forum. Why don't you take some time off and cool down?
Old 07-13-04, 08:06 PM

You've been trolling all day at the forum. Why don't you take some time off and cool down?
Don't worry that was only his 18th post on 7/13/04 i don't think he is gonna catch you considering thats your 32nd post for 7/13/04
Old 07-13-04, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by NEUMANN
Don't worry that was only his 18th post on 7/13/04 i don't think he is gonna catch you considering thats your 32nd post for 7/13/04
18 angry posts.

32 means I should probably take a break.
How did you get that number? Did you just search my username and count my posts?
Old 07-14-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts
This statement is going to come back to haunt you...everyone make a note of it.
Old 07-14-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Honestly, I doubt Passion will get the nod. As noted, the critics were split on it, and truly the base that made this film the success it was is more on the conservative side, not really the Hollywood bunch who'll be voting on this. F 9/11 has a much better chance than Passion IMO, though I doubt either will regardless. By winter time, while neither film will be forgotten, they won't be the furor that they are now. Let's recall how difficult it is for film made before the fall/winter period to be recognized. Now, add in the fact that you have two films that REALLY are split in terms of who likes them, and I think it'll be an uphill battle. F 9/11 best documentary? For sure. Passion = best flogging of a son of deity? Absolutely.
Old 07-14-04, 05:03 PM

Please do.
Old 07-14-04, 05:44 PM

Just for kicks, I have broken down the Rotten Tomatoes score for every film nominated for best picture for the past three years (not that Rotten Tomatoes is the ultimate word on a film's quality, but it's a decent indication of the public's critical view of a film - as well as the academy):

Mystic River 85
Lost in Translation 94
Seabiscuit 78
Return of the King 95
Master and Commander 85

Chicago 88
Gangs of New York 77
The Hours 79
The Two Towers 98
The Pianist 96

A Beautiful Mind 79
Gosford Park 86
In the Bedroom 93
Fellowship 94
Moulin Rouge! 78

Average Score: 87

Passion of the Christ: 51
Fahrenheit 9-11: 83

My guess is with almost a 40 point difference The Passion doesn't stand a chance. F 9/11 is below average, but it's more likely a possiblility (although I still don't think it will get the nom because of the documentary catagory).

EDIT to add: F-911 RT score

Last edited by Abranut; 07-14-04 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-14-04, 06:39 PM

18 angry posts.

32 means I should probably take a break.
How did you get that number? Did you just search my username and count my posts?
I just clicked on your profile in the upper left hand corner of your post and then did a search of all your previous posts(which comes up with your latest posts first) and then counted how many you had at that point on 7/13/04,only took 20 seconds
Old 07-14-04, 06:48 PM

Cool, I've never noticed that small text before.