Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Latest Superman news/rumors. McG-out? Bryan Singer-In?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Latest Superman news/rumors. McG-out? Bryan Singer-In?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by iggystar
James C., he's lanky but can buff up. He wasn't that skinny in The Count of Monte Cristo and I like him, but I don't know.
Cavaziel is a decent fit for Supes/Clark. Although his face is a bit "euro-gorgeous" rather than "all-american-squarejaw." And he'd have to really, really buff up.
Old 08-04-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmm... Comics2film reports that Tom Welling has been offered the role as Supes by Singer. I'm sure this will divide this crowd interested in the Superman film.

And after seeing a rerun of Karen Sisco last night, how about Carla Gugino as Lois? Carla turns 33 at the end of this month.

Old 08-04-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Welling
Old 08-05-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Excellent Call! Great news about Welling too. But he'll turn it down. They had to offer Smallville to him like 10 times. Plus i'm not sure i like the "Worlds Collide" effect this could have on Smallville. I'd prefer to keep the two things seperate.
Old 08-05-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
I'd prefer to keep the two things seperate.
Me too. For now at least. In about 3 years though, I think he'd be perfect to play supes.
Old 08-05-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 197 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Hmm...

And after seeing a rerun of Karen Sisco last night, how about Carla Gugino as Lois? Carla turns 33 at the end of this month.

If they get Carla to play Lois, I will become the biggest Superman fan on the forum.
Old 08-05-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now that I think about it, Carla Gugino would make a great Lois. And she already played a reporter before--during the first season of Spin City.
Old 08-05-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now, I would not pair up Welling with Gugino (she'd blow him off the screen...err, you know what I mean, get your mind out of the gutter!). She's a better actor than Welling is.
Old 08-05-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 769 Likes on 556 Posts
If Tom does take the gig as Superman... there can be only one Lex.

Old 08-05-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Behold Billy Zane in all his Lex Luthor glory

There can be no other.
Old 08-05-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Gugino would probably be too old to play Lois opposite Welling. Anyway, still hoping for Welling as Clark/Supes.
Old 08-05-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 769 Likes on 556 Posts
Considering that
Spoiler:
Lois comes to Smallville next season
why not cast Erica Durance?

http://store2.yimg.com/I/cfqmedia_1803_509855 [Note... this may not be work friendly. D-]

Last edited by Dead; 08-06-04 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-05-04, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who plays Billy Batson?
Old 08-05-04, 09:14 PM

I love the Carla Gugino suggestion, and in a similar vein I also would dig seeing Mary-Louise Parker as Lois, though she suffers from the same problem as Carla in that she's about 12-15 years older than Tom.
Old 08-05-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 934 Likes on 659 Posts
Carla... not bad. Good idea with Billy Zane as well. His characters and acting usually seem to be over the top. I think he would fit in Lex's shoes quite well.
Old 08-05-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe its just a mental thing but when I see Tom Welling being cast i think Smallville:The Movie which is not what I want.
Old 08-05-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 705 Likes on 435 Posts
I always pictured Lois being older than Clark.

In my eyes, Supes is 33, Lois 37, Lex around 48. Although if I had my choice, I'd want a Superman movie that took place in 1958, and was pure Silver Age glory. A Curt Swan comic come to life: bald, super-scientist Luthor, Fortress of Solitude with the Giant Key, a green Brainiac, Legion of Super-Heroes, etc.. The whole knish.

Man that'd be awesome. Don't believe me? Watch me poo out a Buick...
Old 08-06-04, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
Welling
I second that, I just don't want the movie to interfere with Smallville.
Old 08-06-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, Gugino (33) is 6 years older than Welling (27). But I fear that Gugino would act circles around Welling on screen.

In the comics, Supes is around 29-30 years old, and Lois could be around 30-33 without a major problem in my eyes.
Old 08-06-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In somewhat related news, from The Hollywood Reporter

20th Century Fox has terminated its two-year deal with Bryan Singer and his Bad Hat Harry production company -- in the middle of its first year -- in the wake of the director's signing last month with Warner Bros. Pictures to direct a new "Superman" feature. Singer, who has begun working out of "Superman's" production offices at Warners, has not signed an overall deal with Warners, though he is developing a "Logan's Run" remake for the studio as well. Fox has had discussions with Singer to direct "X-Men 3," a sequel to his two successful "X-Men" films, but it had never nailed down that deal, which wasn't part of his overall Fox pact. Neither Fox nor Singer's reps at WMA could be reached for comment.
I don't know if this means no Singer for X3 at all or just a lesser chance of it because of Superman. I'd like to see Singer return for X3, but I guess it is up to Fox to make that decision.
Old 08-11-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From Superma-V

Sources inform us that the working title for the film is UNBELIEVABLE. We can also tell you that X2's Guy Dyas has joined the project as the new production designer, replacing Owen Paterson, who along with costume designer Kym Barrett have left the project. The two were involved with the now aborted Superman FlyBy, for more than a year. Paterson is seeking a new project, Barrett is working on Monster-In-Law and The Virgin of Juarez.

S-V contacted Mr.Dyas to confirm his position and this is what he said exclusively to us: 'Thanks for your interest in Superman. As you know, this is a very closely guarded project, and for a good reason, therefore I can't reveal anything about work that we will be doing. I can, however, tell you that I have come on board as the new production designer for "Superman". '

Guy Dyas started out as a concept illustrator on films like Armageddon, Matrix Reloaded, Mimic, Swordfish and Vanilla Sky. He then moved up and became Art Director on Kangaroo Jack. In 2002 Bryan Singer gave him his big break as production designer, hiring him for X2. This was so succesfull that Terry Gilliam hired him to work on the highly anticipated film, Brothers Grimm. Until recently, Guy was working on Singer's Logan's Run but that is on hold until after Superman. For more info on Guy Dyas click here.

A very reliable industry source tells us that the Superman operation will arrive in Sydney (Fox Studios) later this year. Bryan Singer has been given a two picture deal (Superman and Logan's Run), both of which will be shot in Sydney. Singer and Guy Dyas will initiate concept work, etc, on Logan's Run during the Superman production, again in Sydney. We've been informed that Singer and Dyas are eyeing some top designers and artists to create the look of both films. No word on the (Superman) concept design schedule, but we're sure they'll start this soon. Our source also tells us that Guy Dyas will be flying down to Sydney in the next few weeks. There's a rumor that some shooting will be done in Vancouver, Canada.

Finally here is Batman Begins' writer, David Goyer's opinion on the new Superman team (Courtesy of Comics Continuum):
My opinion of the new Superman team is, "Thank God!" Bryan (Singer) and I have the same agent and I read about it and I called up my agent and said, "Thank you, thank you, thank you," for helping make that happen. I'm really excited about Bryan being on Superman. I think that's exactly what that movie needs. ''
I like this little bit the guys over at Supermanhomepage said about this latest news:

"Whether that relates to the original film's motto "You'll believe a man can fly" or whether it's a comment regarding how long it has taken this movie to get up and running, we're not sure"