Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Latest Superman news/rumors. McG-out? Bryan Singer-In?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Latest Superman news/rumors. McG-out? Bryan Singer-In?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts
Originally posted by glassdragon
who in the hell calls themselves McG anyways.. sounds like the guy has some kind of superority complex to give himself weird names. ok from now on i'm DrG....
Cool! I'm Cheesemeister Fausto!!!!
Old 07-18-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-------
Superherohype.com
Bryan Singer Confirmed for Superman! Source: Variety Sunday, July 18, 2004

Both good news and bad news. Variety has just confirmed that "X-Men" series director Bryan Singer signed a deal Friday to develop and direct Warner Bros.' Superman. The bad? He will not be doing X-Men 3. Here are highlights from the article, we'll link to the full article if/when it becomes available...

-Singer, who helmed "The X-Men" comicbook adaptations for Fox, is expected to work with "X-2" scribes Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris to draft a tentpole that starts production late this year in Australia.

-A tug-of-war over Singer's next project had been going on for weeks, with Fox's third "X-Men" installment competing with Warner's remake of "Logan's Run" to land the helmer. It now looks likely that Singer will not do the third "X-Men," even though he has an overall deal with Fox.

-Besides the recent exit of helmer McG from the "Superman" project, producers Neal Moritz and Gilbert Adler have apparently disappeared from the scene as well. The fate of Jon Peters also is up in the air.

-The studio apparently scrapped a J.J. Abrams script that WB once was high on.

-The studio tapped Australia as a reasonably priced shooting location, with a budget said to be around $200 million, and wanted to put the franchise in the hands of Adler and Moritz. But Moritz's deal was never made and it's uncertain whether Adler, who did have a deal, will remain involved.

-The WMA-repped Singer also is said to have a new take on the pic. Before his involvement, it was to revolve around Superman's battle with Lex Luthor and a mysterious figure from Krypton who has come to hunt down the Man of Steel.

-"My interest in Superman dates back many, many years," Singer said. "In fact, it was the Richard Donner classic film that was my day-to-day inspiration in shaping the X-Men universe for the screen. I feel that Superman has been late in his return and it is time for him to fly again."
------------------------
Old 07-19-04, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singer is an OK choice. he'll turn in a good movie, I'm sure. Something that's good, but nothing extraordinary. X2 was pretty cool, and I'm sure this'll be pretty decent too.

Now, I'm glad Richard Donner isn't directing this though. After watching Timeline, which is one of the worst pieces of junk I've ever seen, I'd rather he just stop making movies.
Old 07-19-04, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 753 Likes on 550 Posts
I was hoping that Singer wouldn't do another superhero franchise. He's going further and further away from what got him started (Usual Suspects & Apt Pupil). I'd like to see him do something original but I'm sure he's capable of the job at hand.

Now let's see if the other superhero director, MSJ can do the same with Ghost Rider.
Old 07-19-04, 11:05 AM

This is such awesome news. My #1 fear regarding a Superman movie was that it'd be an embarrassment, that they'd make either an Austin Powers-style movie or an Armageddon-style movie. I was terrified of Ratner and then McG and then Michael Bay. I don't love the XMen movies, but I think they're pretty good, and at the absolute least, I believe Singer won't make a terrible Superman movie.

from this Supes diehard.
Old 07-19-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well if it's true, I trust him to handle the movie with more care than the others who've been thru the revolving door. Glad that JJ Abrams' script has been tossed too. He needs to fix up Alias first anyway.
Old 07-19-04, 12:53 PM

I think Singer is a good choice. Too bad he won't do X3. Love the first two.
Old 07-19-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, Singer is a good choice. But PLEASE let him finish his Xmen trilogy first!!!!!!
Old 07-19-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

C'mon! I agree, let him finish X3 first!!!!!!!!!!! He's a good choice for Sup but no new director for X3!!!!!!
Old 07-19-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm at least more comfortable with Singer at the helm than the previous choices. Since he is a big fan of the first film, I can only hope that he brings back the respect to the character and legend to the film franchise that is currently done very well with "Smallville."
Old 07-19-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 924 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally posted by Get Me Coffee

-"My interest in Superman dates back many, many years," Singer said. "In fact, it was the Richard Donner classic film that was my day-to-day inspiration in shaping the X-Men universe for the screen. I feel that Superman has been late in his return and it is time for him to fly again."

Love and respect for the first film. A breath of fresh air to say the least. But with all due respect, they had a great concept AND script from Kevin Smith but Tim Burton threw it out the window.

And for fans of X-men. Relax. This time next year Superman will still be in limbo, Singer will have been fired and another new director named. And still with yet another script. So he can go back to Xmen.
Old 07-19-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Sad if Singer isn't involved in X3
Old 07-19-04, 06:30 PM

superman won't get off the ground in the near future so singer will be back with x-men since he did verbally give his word that he was doing X3. why would he lay down the story for the phoenix storyline and not be the one who sees it to fruition.
Old 07-19-04, 08:33 PM

First Halle and then Singer...You win 1 and you lose 1
Old 07-19-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
From CNN

X-Men' director to take on 'Superman'

Monday, July 19, 2004 Posted: 9:53 PM EDT (0153 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- "X-Men" director Bryan Singer has signed on to shoot the next Superman movie, replacing "Charlie's Angels" veteran McG, who dropped out a week ago over such issues as budget and location.

By signing on, Singer puts his next two high-profile projects in a gray zone. He was scheduled to direct "Logan's Run," and then return for a third shot at the comic-book franchise that propelled his career into the realm of big-budget tentpoles: Fox has already scheduled "X-Men 3" for a May 5, 2006, release.

There is no scheduled start date for Superman which, like "Logan's Run," is in development at Warner Bros. (Warner Bros. is a division of Time Warner, as is CNN.)

The Superman movie's script is probably the most time-consuming element that will determine any production start. The previous script was written by "Alias" creator J.J. Abrams. Singer has a reputation for being very involved in the writing of his movies, as well as working with his own stable of writers.

Singer has long nursed a dream to direct a Superman movie.

"My interest in Superman dates back many, many years," he said. "In fact, it was the Richard Donner classic film that was my day-to-day inspiration in shaping the 'X-Men' universe for the screen. I feel that Superman has been late in his return and it is time for him to fly again."

Singer's other credits include "Apt Pupil" and "The Usual Suspects."

Besides McG, directors Tim Burton and Brett Ratner have also been involved with the resurrection of Warners' once-profitable franchise. The primary reason given for the exit of McG, ne Joseph McGinty Nichol, was the inability to agree on a budget, which reportedly hovers around $200 million, similar to what "Spider-Man 2" cost. Casting also was an issue, as was the shooting location. McG favored a New York shoot, while the studio favored Australia.
Old 07-19-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wolverine responds to Singer jumping ship (I love the last three lines )
Dear Superman,

I thought we were friends. Or at least professional colleagues with a healthy respect of each other's powers--and boundaries.

Imagine my shock then when I cracked opened the Hollywood trades Monday morning here at Xavier Mansion, and read that my director--my director--had become your director.

"Supe's on with 'X' Man," Variety said. "Singer Gives Superman 'X'-Ray Vision," the Hollywood Reporter countered.

So, you've stolen Bryan Singer. You know at least when Mystique tries to stab me in the back she jumps up in the air first and does a couple of fancy somersaults so I have time to prepare my claws.

But you--you conniving Kryptonian--you pretend you're all about truth, justice and the American way, when all you're really about is getting back on the big screen anyway, anyhow.

The papers say Singer inked the deal with Warner Bros. on Friday. Variety says he'll probably bring screenwriters Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris along, too.

(Oh, did I say "screenwriters"? I meant "my screenwriters." Mike and Dan helped write X2--maybe you caught that flick while you were busy not getting your stupid movie made.)

With Singer committing to you, the Reporter says his planned Logan's Run remake is now in "a gray zone"--big deal. And Variety says he probably won't have time for X-Men 3--very, very big deal, dude.

Fox has penciled in May 5, 2006, as the release date for X-Men 3. I know you're unfamiliar with the concept, but a release date is WHEN A MOVIE'S SUPPOSED TO COME OUT!

How is my movie supposed to come out without a director? Oh, sure, Fox'll find somebody else. But somebody else won't be Bryan Singer. The man who plotted out and directed our first two movies (combined domestic gross: $372.2 million). The man who recognized a hero with furry sideburns could too be a leading man. The man who knows who Keyser Soze is.

In a way, I don't know why I'm getting all worked up.

So, Bryan's hooking up with you. So, he claims his "interest in [you] dates back many, many years." So, he professes to love the original Richard Donner Superman movie. So, he says, "it is time for [you] to fly again."

So, what?

Superman, you are like the messed-up hot chick who can't keep a guy.

Sure, Bryan's enamored with you--now. At one time, so was McG. So was Brett Ratner. So was Tim Burton. Even Michael Bay was rumored to have given you a look.

Got quite a collection of ex-suitors there, don't you? (Say, do you keep their pictures on a wall in the Fortress of Solitude--maybe next to your Lois Lane shrine?--you nutball stalker.)

Oh, I know, poor Kal-Hell, it's not your fault. It's Warners'. It was the studio that pulled the plug on Burton. It was the studio that wouldn't okay Ratner's choice to play you (then soap star Matthew Bomer). And it was the studio that insisted on shooting in Australia when McG wanted to shoot in New York.

Boo-hoo. Somebody get me a Kleenex.

But what I'll really be bawling about is how people fall for your woe-is-me, I'm-a-cursed-superhero act.

I don't care if BatBale gets more press. I don't care if Halle Berry's Catwoman getup gets more downloads. I don't care if you don't have a locked-in producer, a locked-in star or a locked-in screenplay. We should all be cursed with a $200 million budget and a road-tested comic-book director.

I hear Warners is still going to try to get your tired buns of steel off the ground for a shoot late this year. Might want to renew your Crunch membership, friend. By my tally, you haven't been out of the Barcalounger in 17 years.

Gee, I realize now this letter may be sounding a tad bitter. Forgive me. I was going for really, really bitter.

Give my regards to Bryan. If you ever actually meet him.

[Expletive deleted] you,

Wolverine

P.S.: Superman III sucked.

P.P.S.: Superman IV sucked worse.
Old 07-20-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now if X-Men would just get rid of Wolverine, I'd enjoy those movies.

Perhaps the Superman film will be done well.
Old 07-20-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally posted by glassdragon
who in the hell calls themselves McG anyways.. sounds like the guy has some kind of superority complex to give himself weird names. ok from now on i'm DrG....
I was wondering the same thing......I've seen this jackass name plenty of times before:

From now on I'm: RVL to the 11th power mofo's!!!!
Old 07-27-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From Dark Horizons:

Jim Caviezel was a guest star on "What's Next" on the TV Guide channel. He concluded the interview by saying he hopes his next role involves alot of working out, blue tights, and a red cape.
Old 07-27-04, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Jim Caviezel was a guest star on "What's Next" on the TV Guide channel. He concluded the interview by saying he hopes his next role involves alot of working out, blue tights, and a red cape.

"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!"
Old 07-27-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 924 Likes on 656 Posts
Interesting choice. I can get on board with jim. Then again, I'm up for anyone who isn't a teen idol.
Old 07-28-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After playing Superman and Jesus, whats left?
Old 07-28-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Playing Super jesus?
Old 07-28-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not all that crazy about Caviezel playing Supes, but I think it's because he's lanky, and I want a more mesomorphic body type (closer to a Ed McGuinness Supes, than a lean Miracleman body type).
Old 07-28-04, 01:34 PM

Everytime I see Nick Cage in a movie I think, "He was going to be Superman.", then I shudder and have to get myself back into the movie.

Hopefully, they'll get this thing right and done before I need dentures.

James C., he's lanky but can buff up. He wasn't that skinny in The Count of Monte Cristo and I like him, but I don't know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.