Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

AFI Top 100 Song List-- For once they get it right!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

AFI Top 100 Song List-- For once they get it right!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-04, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still surprised no one else was surprised with Eminem's appearance on the list.

I give him props for him and his movie, but Top 100!?? No way!
Old 06-23-04, 05:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
oh and the title song: "Xanadu', the nail in the coffin of disco music.
Old 06-23-04, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
73. "Isn't It Romantic?" "Love Me Tonight," 1932

Considering the idiots who put these lists together I'm glad it made the list at all, but this really should have been #1
Old 06-23-04, 07:36 PM

I think that they should have only included songs that where made for the Movies,that being said i noticed 2 james bond songs on the list(goldfinger and nobody does it better) but they did'nt include my favorite bond song live and let die.A pleasant surprise to see windmills of the mind on there from the thomas crown affair,biggest ommision was the theme from Mahogeny(do you know where your going to)
Old 06-23-04, 08:06 PM

I watched some of this and I just realized that neither the Star Wars Main Theme or Indiana Jones Raiders' March made the list. These have to be 2 of the most recognized scores. Also another song, even though it's not that great of a song it had a cultural impact, is the Ghostbusters theme probably should have made it.
Old 06-23-04, 11:14 PM
Keeper of the Comfy Chair

It's important to note that the AFI only considers American movies (what with it being the American Film Institute and all), so a lot of apparent "omissions" actually weren't eligible.
Old 06-24-04, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Ringo20000
I watched some of this and I just realized that neither the Star Wars Main Theme or Indiana Jones Raiders' March made the list. These have to be 2 of the most recognized scores. Also another song, even though it's not that great of a song it had a cultural impact, is the Ghostbusters theme probably should have made it.
I love movie scores/themes as much as anyone, but to me a 'song' has lyrics. This was a list for songs not scores.
Old 06-24-04, 09:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by NEUMANN
I think that they should have only included songs that where made for the Movies,that being said i noticed 2 james bond songs on the list(goldfinger and nobody does it better) but they did'nt include my favorite bond song live and let die.A pleasant surprise to see windmills of the mind on there from the thomas crown affair,biggest ommision was the theme from Mahogeny(do you know where your going to)
my fave James Bond 'song' is "All Time High"

and in regards to 'Theme to Mahogeny' - I already noted my annoyance that this song was missing, as well Diana Ross' 'Endless Love' song... sigh ...

Originally posted by Giles

for shame no 'Love Theme from Mahogany' or 'Endless Love'

Old 06-24-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Cardinal Fang
It's important to note that the AFI only considers American movies (what with it being the American Film Institute and all), so a lot of apparent "omissions" actually weren't eligible.
Would Yellow Submarine be considered an American film? Probably not. Then again, most of the songs in that wouldn't really be associated with the film by most people (the possible exception being the title song).

It seems that the songs that made the list that weren't written for the films were songs that were made popular again by being included in a film, such as "It Had to be You" in When Harry Met Sally or "Unchained Melody" in Ghost. "Bohemian Rhapsody" from Wayne's World is a song that could have made it based on this, but as memorable as the songs are in the scenes they are in to fans of the films, "Tiny Dancer" from Almost Famous and "Layla" from Goodfellas didn't make the charts after being included in those films. The same thing goes for the songs in Quentin Tarantino's movies.

Nitpick: the title of the song from Chicago is "And All That Jazz." I also thought that "and" was not in the title because the remaining words are the title of a Fosse film.
Old 06-24-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ghostbusters should have made the list!
Old 06-25-04, 02:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts
Does anyone know who sings the version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" that played in Dr. Mark Greene's (Anthony Edwards) last episode of ER, the one in Hawaii? It has also been in a recent movie, I think "50 First Dates", but not sure? It is such a good rendition that I would like to know or have it. Thanks.

Last edited by OldBoy; 06-25-04 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-25-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by scott1598
Does anyone know who sings the version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" that played in Dr. Mark Greene's (Anthony Edwards) last episode, the one in Hawaii? It has also been in a recent movie, I think "50 First Dates", but not sure? It is such a good rendition that I would like to know or have it. Thanks.
The late, great Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.
Old 06-25-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
So...Lose Yourself gets a spot and Purple Rain doesn't...?

Riiiiiiiiight...
Old 06-25-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
So...Lose Yourself gets a spot and Purple Rain doesn't...?

Riiiiiiiiight...
Thanks, Rogue. Thats just what I was wondering. Great song by Eminem, but I definately thought something from Purple Rain would be listed. According to the AFI website, the only song considered from Purple Rain was "Let's Go Crazy".

also, another vote for Ghostbusters and In Your Eyes.
Old 06-26-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
i was so upset about the "In Your Eyes" diss that I completely forgot that Prince didn't make the list either. I wonder if the song Purple Rain had been nominated instead of Let's Go Crazy would the diss still stand?
Old 06-27-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can anybody tell me why "Knockin' On Heaven's Door", by Bob Dylan, from 'Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid', wasn't even eligible? It wasn't even in the Top 400. I call shenanigans.

Also surprised that they had two Bond songs and neither was 'Live and Let Die'.

The Who's Tommy - Pinball Wizard
Monty Python and the Life of Brian - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
I'm not sure if 'Tommy' counts as British, and I am sure that 'Brian' does.

Little Shop of Horrors - Suddenly, Seymour
They put 'Somewhere that's Green' in the top 400 instead.

No songs from "This is Spinal Tap?"
'Big Bottom' made the top 400 ... I can't believe more people didn't vote for it. I figured one of them would make it.

the theme from Manhattan
No, they had to have lyrics.
Old 06-27-04, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Can anybody tell me why "Knockin' On Heaven's Door", by Bob Dylan, from 'Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid', wasn't even eligible? It wasn't even in the Top 400. I call shenanigans.
Perhaps because it wasn't supposed to be in the film? It's not in the director's cut, apparently.
Old 06-27-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So many of the titles on this list are not songs from movies - they are songs from screen versions of Broadway shows. If they wanted to do a "best song performances in movies" list, that's a different story. There would have been room for a lot of the songs people have been mentioning if they eliminated songs that were never written for the movies.
Old 06-29-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
No, they had to have lyrics.
Well there you go.. the director's cut of Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid uses an instrumental version of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door".