Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sequel to "Elizabeth" in the works

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I'm thrilled about this. "Elizabeth" is one of my all-time favorite films. From IMDB:

Indian director Shekhar Kapur is ecstatic about his plans for a sequel to Elizabeth with Hollywood beauty Cate Blanchett reprising her Oscar- nominated role as the virgin Queen of Britain. The film's makers are using the working title Golden Age for the movie which focuses on the middle years of the controversial royal's reign - she sat on the throne from 1558 - 1603. The 58-year-old legend says, "It is about the battle between Elizabeth's life as a monarch and her personal life. It ends in the destruction of the Spanish Armada on the larger level when the English navy defeated the Spanish invasion fleet in the English Channel in 1588." A start date has yet to be set because of the commitments of director and star - according to British film magazine Empire.
Old 06-06-04, 02:39 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sequel to "Elizabeth" in the works

Originally posted by Daytripper
I'm thrilled about this. "Elizabeth" is one of my all-time favorite films. From IMDB:

Indian director Shekhar Kapur is ecstatic about his plans for a sequel to Elizabeth with Hollywood beauty Cate Blanchett reprising her Oscar- nominated role as the virgin Queen of Britain. The film's makers are using the working title Golden Age for the movie which focuses on the middle years of the controversial royal's reign - she sat on the throne from 1558 - 1603. The 58-year-old legend says, "It is about the battle between Elizabeth's life as a monarch and her personal life. It ends in the destruction of the Spanish Armada on the larger level when the English navy defeated the Spanish invasion fleet in the English Channel in 1588." A start date has yet to be set because of the commitments of director and star - according to British film magazine Empire.
don't they mean "virgin"?
Old 06-06-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Elizabeth II - Elizabether Than Ever
Old 06-06-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Elizabeth II - Elizabether Than Ever
I'm confused, would this movie be a sequel, or about Queen Elixabeth the second?
Old 06-06-04, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by majorjoe23
I'm confused, would this movie be a sequel, or about Queen Elixabeth the second?
Both.
Old 06-06-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Both.
Talk about epic!
Old 06-06-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Note sure how good it would be, but I thoroughly enjoyed Elizabeth so I'm for it.
Old 06-06-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jericho
Note sure how good it would be, but I thoroughly enjoyed Elizabeth so I'm for it.
Why do you doubt it will be not as good as the original? It has the same director and actress for starters. If it's half as good as the first, I'll be happy. I'm all over this.
Old 06-06-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved Elizabeth. Blanchett should have gotten the Oscar over Paltrow.
Old 06-06-04, 10:26 PM

The first movie "Elizabeth" merely told the story of her ascendence to the throne.

This movie can now focus on her reign which was called "The Golden Age" because Britain, during this Elizabethan era, became the all powerful Britain that we know. She basically inherited a Edsel and turned it into a Mercedes. I for one would love to see this story.

Roll Film!
Old 06-07-04, 07:15 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Very cool news. I loved Elizabeth when I saw it in the theater.

I had a bit of an interesting experience. I bought the ticket and the people working the theater were all younger kids, maybe around 15-16. They wondered why someone they thought was around their age(I wasn't, but look younger then I am) would be buying a ticket to that movie. I heard them snicker to each other. I just ignored it and went to see the movie.

I really enjoyed the movie, but I think I was the youngest in the theater by about 20 years. It was filled mainly with seniors.
Old 06-07-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Cinema
Fully agree!......sorry Trip
Old 06-07-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Vryce
Very cool news. I loved Elizabeth when I saw it in the theater.

I had a bit of an interesting experience. I bought the ticket and the people working the theater were all younger kids, maybe around 15-16. They wondered why someone they thought was around their age(I wasn't, but look younger then I am) would be buying a ticket to that movie. I heard them snicker to each other. I just ignored it and went to see the movie.

I really enjoyed the movie, but I think I was the youngest in the theater by about 20 years. It was filled mainly with seniors.
Their loss. They missed a terrific movie. I saw the film at an art house chain right outside of D.C. and the sold out audience were college age and up. I did have a younger friend see the movie at my recommendation and they loved it. They thought it was like "Braveheart" meets "The Godfather". So if the "kids" would give it a chance, I think they could be entertained. AND learn something

Last edited by Daytripper; 06-07-04 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-07-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and yes, Cate deserved the Oscar that year. HOWEVER....Paltrow turned in an Oscar worthy performance too. Glad they both took home the award at the Golden Globes.
Old 06-07-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
More Cate Blanchett, I'm sold.
Old 06-07-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Daytripper
Why do you doubt it will be not as good as the original? It has the same director and actress for starters. If it's half as good as the first, I'll be happy. I'm all over this.
Well I'm a big Cate Blachett fan, so I have no worries there. However, the Four Feathers by Kapur was merely okay in my book. I still liked that movie, but it was not Elizabeth. In fact any movie living up to Elizabeth is a high standard. Not to mention I think her ascension to the throne is a better story. But I'd love to see them try an top Elizabeth
Old 06-07-04, 04:31 PM
Banned

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Old 06-07-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jericho
But I'd love to see them try an top Elizabeth
I would love to top elizabeth, too

Working titles:

Elizabeth II: Queen on top
(Elizabeth explores deep sea fishing)

Elizabeth II: Legally red headed
(co-starring reese witherspoon as elizabeth's counsel to the throne)

Elizabeth part II: Adventures at camp north star
(co-starring bill murray as elizabeth's wiley camp director)

(the pre-requisite) Elizabeth 2: Electric bugaloo

I liked the first elizabeth. It wasn't amazing, but it was pretty neat-O. Nice to see a sequel to a movie where it is warranted.
Old 06-12-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This one will be called Elizabeth: The One Tower, followed by the climactic ending to the trilogy, Elizabeth: The Return of the Queen.
Old 06-13-04, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Cinema
Damn I pissed when Gwenyth won. Cate was robbed!

Finally, a sequel that I'm actually excited about.