Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Coffee and Cigarettes

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Coffee and Cigarettes

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-04, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coffee and Cigarettes

I have no idea why I am posting this, but it was a cool experience for me and I thought I would share it with this board since I frequent it. Anyway, I have recently moved to L.A. and now have the opportunity to go to some of the cool little events that happen here. Tonight was the best event that I have been to yet. I went to see Jim Jarmusch's "Coffee and Cigarettes" at the Arclight Theatre in Hollywood and afterwards there was a short Q&A session with Jim Jarmusch. Other than a few inane questions, i.e How do you like your coffee? and What is your facination with checkerboard patterns in this film?, the session was very interesting. Jim brought up Steve Coogan, from 24 Hour Party People and this film, who was in town for a few days. Afterwards on the way out I was able to very briefly meet them both and to get Jim's autograph on my "Down By Law" insert. I also was able to meet Eddie Izzard which was cool since I love his work. Unfortunately though, I was not able to meet Wim Wenders who was there and was several times no more than 3 feet from me. A good time all around. By the way, if you get the chance and like Jarmusch, go see the film. It was fantastic. Beautiful Cinematography and a funny group of scenes. The ending is also very beautiful.

Last edited by jrsl76; 04-20-04 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-20-04, 07:40 AM
xxx

Oh man...I have been wanting to see Coffee and Cigarettes forever! This is the flick with Tom Waits and Iggy Pop that was filmed like 10-15 years ago, right?
Old 04-20-04, 11:25 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey, i was seated right behind wim wenders! his fashion sense remains very... german. i saw him again in the parking garage. he drives an audi.
Old 04-20-04, 11:40 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by xxx
Oh man...I have been wanting to see Coffee and Cigarettes forever! This is the flick with Tom Waits and Iggy Pop that was filmed like 10-15 years ago, right?
Jarmusch made (I believe) 3 shorts named Coffee and Cigarettes and this feature length version includes the shorts along with new scenes with Bill Murray etc.
Old 04-20-04, 04:47 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Can't wait. Jarmusch is one of the last great truly independent filmmakers. I'd love to see one of his films be a huge hit, though - because he makes them on his own terms. If anyone who makes movies deserves to have a breakout hit, it's Jim Jarmusch.
Old 04-20-04, 11:31 PM

I believe it's release date is May 14th.
Old 04-21-04, 02:13 AM

Re: Coffee and Cigarettes

Originally posted by jrsl76
I have no idea why I am posting this, but it was a cool experience for me and I thought I would share it with this board since I frequent it. Anyway, I have recently moved to L.A. and now have the opportunity to go to some of the cool little events that happen here. Tonight was the best event that I have been to yet. I went to see Jim Jarmusch's "Coffee and Cigarettes" at the Arclight Theatre in Hollywood and afterwards there was a short Q&A session with Jim Jarmusch. Other than a few inane questions, i.e How do you like your coffee? and What is your facination with checkerboard patterns in this film?, the session was very interesting. Jim brought up Steve Coogan, from 24 Hour Party People and this film, who was in town for a few days. Afterwards on the way out I was able to very briefly meet them both and to get Jim's autograph on my "Down By Law" insert. I also was able to meet Eddie Izzard which was cool since I love his work. Unfortunately though, I was not able to meet Wim Wenders who was there and was several times no more than 3 feet from me. A good time all around. By the way, if you get the chance and like Jarmusch, go see the film. It was fantastic. Beautiful Cinematography and a funny group of scenes. The ending is also very beautiful.

Did you see Jimmy Kimmel, His audience and Quentin Tarentino last night at the Arclight ? They were all there to watch KB2 . I guess it was around 10 pm.
Old 05-16-04, 03:42 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Caught this tonight. Fantastic film. Every one of the sequences worked, even if some only had chuckles vs. the out and out guffaws prompted by the others. I would say the highlights were "Somewhere In California," "Renee," "Cousins," "Cousins?," and "Delirium."

Also, who was the actress in "Renee"? She was quite attractive.
Old 05-16-04, 05:47 AM
Banned

Roberto Begnini and Jarmusch

Old 06-13-04, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thoroughly entertaining film.

Bill Murray and the Wu-Tang Clan's RZA and GZA was a trip as they continued to call him "Bill Murray" over and over.

The White Stripes bit was funny, as was the opener with Benigni and Steven Wright.

The Steve Coogan/Alfred Molina piece was great, as is Steve Coogan (rent 24-hour Party People).

The only part i didn't like was the last short of the film. Nothing really to do with not liking the ending, I just thought it was boring.

Still, a solid effort all the way around.

Hopefully, we'll get a regular feature film out of Jarmusch soon.
Old 06-13-04, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw the trailer and can't wait to see this film... btw, I went to see "Night on Earth" in a theater yesterday.