Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fahrenheit 911/Michael Moore wins Cannes top prize, The Palme d'Or!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Fahrenheit 911/Michael Moore wins Cannes top prize, The Palme d'Or!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
Well, I'm interested in seeing this. I have a feeling the award was much more based on politics than the film's merit (I also felt like "Columbine" was a lot weaker film than Moore's earlier and TV work), but I'm highly curious to see what Moore came up with.
Old 05-22-04, 05:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm actually quite surprised this film won. Here's hoping it now gets the July release Moore wants.
Old 05-22-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fanning the flames of controversy, Cannes is reliable as always.

I hope people can judge the film on its own merits. There will be many who won't want the film to be seen, no matter who is distributing it.
Old 05-22-04, 06:00 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know how deserving the film is - I haven't seen it yet. But the indications were that this was a popular film (with its unprecedented ovation) and from some reviews Moore has grown as a film-maker. Apparently he barely makes an appearance in the second half of Fahrenheit 9-11.
Old 05-22-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts
Love him or hate him, Moore gave one of the more moving acceptance speeches I have heard in a while.
Old 05-22-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
IF winning the top prize at Cannes doesn't put the pressure on to release it in America I don't know what will. Just having that prestige alone, coupled with the controversy, would almost guarantee the movie to make some money for whomever distributed it.
I disagree. I think the only people who would go to a film because it's a Cannes winner would have seen the documentary anyway. The controversy, on the other hand, is only helping Moore, as I see it.

Last edited by Corvin; 05-22-04 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-22-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Corvin
I disagree. I think the only people who most likely would go to a film because it's a Cannes winner would have seen the documentary anyway. The controversy, on the other hand, is only helping Moore, as I see it.
Agreed. The Palme d'Or is kinda like the award for "those black and white movies about gay cowboys eating pudding". I don't think it would affect the mainstream audience. I'm interested in seeing it but I'll wait till I can see it without paying for it.
Old 05-23-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Moore obviously made the film partly to fight Bush in the re-election, although I'm not sure how much of an effect it will really have. Bowling for Columbine was one of if not the most successful commerically viable documentary and it made a little over $20 million or the equivalent of a movie like The Alamo. Combine that with the fact the most people who will see the movie are probably anti-Bush anyways, I don't know how much good it will do.

A video release before the election would work better I think, but I can't fault anyone for trying. Maybe he will make a difference?
Old 05-23-04, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
The Palme d'Or is kinda like the award for "those black and white movies about gay cowboys eating pudding".
Is that what you thought Pulp Fiction was?
Old 05-23-04, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Yes, but the jury isn't made up of Frenchmen. Quentin Tarantino was head of the jury this year...not sure who were the other members - perhaps someone can post a list.
The clip I saw showed Tarantino emotional and teary-eyed as he announced the winner.

What a trainwreck of a personality that guy is...

Moore is moreso...

I guess that's part of being an artist...
Old 05-23-04, 08:39 AM

I am surprised that Fahrenheit 911 won, and it means that there must be some truth to the film. After all the people who viewed and voted for the film must have thought that the film is spectacular as it won. This also increases my curiosity for the film, which I will see as soon as I can.

Disney is one of the companies that aim their product to children, which might influences future choices of the children, as they are more susceptible to new information. This blows a whistle in my head, as Disney wanted to prevent Fahrenheit 911 to be released, which now is highly praised in Europe. It seems as if they want to keep us in the dark through a form of censorship that prevents us from getting some information that seems vital. However, thinking of Disney, which is a multibillion company it would not surprise that they favor the present Presidential choice as he has already provided them with tax breaks and maybe more in the future. Disney is also a company that spreads information, which should be of all sorts that should enlighten the people and not keep them in the dark.

I believe that a nation must have people like Michael Moore that sheds new and different light on the existing information, despite how uncomfortable and nasty it might be. If not, it could lead to a dictatorship, as journalists are the individuals who enlighten the people on what the politicians do. If the journalists do not fulfill this duty, then the politicians can roam freely, and do whatever they want (present prison scandal comes to mind). If Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein for the Washington Post did not do their job, they would never have discovered the Watergate Scandal. Thus, to completely trust has proven itself through history to be very dangerous, as we should balance the source of information with other sources than just one, which includes present President and future presidents.

I am looking forward to see Fahrenheit 911, as I want to make my own intelligent and educated decision for what I want to believe, despite all hype and craziness around the film. As of now, I have no opinion of the film as I have not seen it, but I have an opinion on the American release fiasco that surrounds Fahrenheit 911.
Old 05-23-04, 08:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
oh boy this will inflate Moore's ego even more.
Old 05-23-04, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Big Quasimodo
The clip I saw showed Tarantino emotional and teary-eyed as he announced the winner.
I don't know what clip you saw but I watched the winners being announced live. Tarantino was neither teary-eyed nor emotional from what I saw.
Old 05-23-04, 11:08 AM

I love how some people say that the vote was politically motivated or that it was because this festival is in France when an american headed the judges.

Could it be that it was just a good documentary and deserved to win? The festival would not ruin its credibility by giving the top honor to a movie containing false information.
Somehow, I find it very hard to believe that this picture is better than the new Wong Kar-Wai film.

Comparing his past work to Moore's past work, I mean, come on?

This is a politically charged decision, it's fine, none of my business who they give they give the Golden Palm to --

But don't insult my intelligence and tell me this isn't politically motivated.

So what, there were American's on the jury -- they all tilt left in their views, they don't hide it, etc. Again, it's fine what they do and what film they choose...

But, if you don't think this is politically motivated, you need a wake up pill.
Old 05-23-04, 11:10 AM

" I betcha someone or some group will try to delay the film's release until after the election."

Cuz that worked so well for the ADL trying to stop the passion from being released. There won't be as much hoopala from people that oppose this film like there was with the passion, because people know that will create public interest.
Old 05-23-04, 11:14 AM

I don't know what clip you saw but I watched the winners being announced live. Tarantino was neither teary-eyed nor emotional from what I saw.
The clip I saw on CNN at the top of the hour -- he was both teary eyed AND emotional.
Old 05-23-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hate the man. Hate the films.

'nuff said.
Old 05-23-04, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
If Focus releases this movie, then I would say it has an impressive track record when you factor in both Monster and Passion of the Christ.
Focus didn't release either of those films.
Old 05-23-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
Focus didn't release either of those films.

I know, got them confused with New Market. Sorry!
Old 05-23-04, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
It seems as if they want to keep us in the dark through a form of censorship that prevents us from getting some information that seems vital.

It's important for you conspiracy theorists to realize that Disney went on record that they would not release this film years ago. It's not like Moore shot the film, edited it, showed it to Disney and they stood up and said "We're not releasing this!"

Disney told Moore that Disney/Miramax would not be releasing this film before a single frame of film was shot.

Furthermore, I find it funny that you would characterize Michael Moore as someone holding information that is "vital". There is nothing in this documentary that is new information. It's all info that is well documented and represented in the media or alternative press. It's already well known that BinLaden family members were allowed to leave the country on Sept. 11th while all flights were grounded, etc. If, when you finally see this film, you are surprised by any of the information it contains, then you are supremely uninformed.
Old 05-23-04, 12:19 PM

Also, without starting a flaming war, the movie isn't a "Mockumentary". Is it slanted? Sure. But it's not made-up.
Sort of. Telling half the story is not a very accurate documentary, no matter what stance you have. And that's what Moore does.

He likes to tell half of the story. His half.

Triumph des Willens is a good example. It IS a documentary, but if you knew nothing of the truth behind it, you would think that the Nazi movement was the most glorious, powerful notion of humankind ever to exist.

Same with Moore. "Bowling for Columbine" was an emotionally charged mess. Pure logic is thrown out the window for an incessant fool.
Old 05-23-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts
Michael Moore make a politically charged movie? You must be joking!!!!! Since when does he EVER do anything like that!

In terms of the jury, I wouldn't doubt if it were politically motivated, but in all honesty who can blame them? New Flash: a lot of the rest of the world doesn't have that great view of either President Bush or America. I admire any group of people who actually take the time to look at other views and actually think: "You know what, they may be right." I am not saying they agree with terrorists or anything like that, I am saying that their views might reflect a worldview. Believe it or not, we (Americans) are not the ultimate authority/final word on everything that happens in this world.
While I doubt releasing this movie will have any impact on the election and whether or not that nimrod gets re-elected, I applaud some people for trying to make a difference.
FWIW, wait a minute, Bush DIDN'T win the popular votes last time did he? Oh well, the amount by which he lost was slim, and anything that can broaden that gap again to illustrate popular opinion is a good thing IMO.
Old 05-23-04, 02:18 PM

It's important for you conspiracy theorists to realize that Disney went on record that they would not release this film years ago. It's not like Moore shot the film, edited it, showed it to Disney and they stood up and said "We're not releasing this!"

Disney told Moore that Disney/Miramax would not be releasing this film before a single frame of film was shot.

Furthermore, I find it funny that you would characterize Michael Moore as someone holding information that is "vital". There is nothing in this documentary that is new information. It's all info that is well documented and represented in the media or alternative press. It's already well known that BinLaden family members were allowed to leave the country on Sept. 11th while all flights were grounded, etc. If, when you finally see this film, you are surprised by any of the information it contains, then you are supremely uninformed.
It is not the information that I am curious about, but its context of who were involved and why in Moore's perspective that interests me.

Now, why would Miramax/Disney say something like "we are not releasing this film a year in advance"...as the film wins in Cannes? It intrigues me... I am not looking for a conspiracy, but like most people I an curious to know how the country is run...
Let me use a CIA quote, which they used for terrorism: "Follow the money." I wonder where this goes here in the US?

and as Dr. DVD said

...we (Americans) are not the ultimate authority...
Different viewpoints intrigues me, even if I do not agree. This is the beauty with democracy, which does not exist in any kind of totalitarian country...

Cheers

DVD Smurf
Old 05-23-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Love him or hate him, Moore gave one of the more moving acceptance speeches I have heard in a while.
Moore acted like an ass when he accepted the award. I am a registered Republican who is against the war, but I would never go on a foreign stage w/ an international audience and apologize for being an American. He also apologized to Iraqi children, for what, "I am sorry for removing a POS tyrant and his two insane children and now you have a chance at a decent life." This is a war with a lot of grey areas, and I know we have some of our military personnel acting like complete asses but I generally believe that what this country has to offer is heads above anything else that is out there in the world today.

Moore is an extremely funny man, I laughed for hours when he sent the gay men over to Jesse Helm's house to sing on The Awful Truth, I thought Roger & Me was a great documentary, and Moore has taught me a thing or two about how employees should be treated in the workplace, I have learned a thing or two from him but is acceptance speech at Cannes was tasteless.
Old 05-23-04, 03:17 PM
MrN

And yet they gave him $6M to make the film - if anything Disney seems to be very confused in terms of their stance towards this film.

More importantly, Harvey Weinstein seems to be taking charge and getting Moore a distributor, which makes me think Moore is better off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.