Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fahrenheit 911/Michael Moore wins Cannes top prize, The Palme d'Or!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Fahrenheit 911/Michael Moore wins Cannes top prize, The Palme d'Or!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-04, 03:22 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by filmgoer
Somehow, I find it very hard to believe that this picture is better than the new Wong Kar-Wai film.

Comparing his past work to Moore's past work, I mean, come on?
Except this isn't the Oscars - sure Wong's body of work is better than Moore's but that has no bearing on this year. Reputation will get your film into the festival but there's no denying which film was more popular this year.

As for the rest of your post - yes, its a political movie and no doubt the jury was politically motivated but that doesn't have any bearing on the quality of the film.
Old 05-23-04, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by DVD Smurf

Now, why would Miramax/Disney say something like "we are not releasing this film a year in advance"...as the film wins in Cannes? It intrigues me... I am not looking for a conspiracy, but like most people I an curious to know how the country is run...

DVD Smurf
What?

Disney didn't say "we are not releasing this film a year in advance". they said "We are not releasing this film" a year in advance. The prior makes no sense so I don't know what you are deducting from it. The point is that Disney didn't want to relase a film of this type. they did not see a shocking film that exposes the Bush administration and then decide that they must stop this information from reaching the public...
Old 05-23-04, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannes is in France.
Moore makes Bush bashing movie.
France lost money because U.S. removed Saddam.
So Moore wins top prize.

I bet on Monday's THE FACTOR show Bill O'Reilly will say the same thing.
Old 05-23-04, 03:43 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by wm lopez
Cannes is in France.
So Moore wins top prize.

And the inference will be just as wrong when he makes it, too.

I'm no fan of Moore, but to imply this is some sort of French anti-American conspiracy is silly. It's much more likely that it's some sort of pro-Miramax conspiracy instead.
Old 05-23-04, 03:45 PM
MrN

Cannes is in France.
So Moore wins top prize.

Hopefully O'Reilly will have a fact checker because 'France' did not award the prize - the jury did. A jury that was made up of 4 Americans, and only one French member.

Edit to add: The other members were one each from UK, Belgium, Hong Kong and Finland.

Last edited by MrN; 05-23-04 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-23-04, 04:10 PM
Banned

4 liberal Americans no doubt.
Old 05-23-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Got a problem with liberals?

You say that as if liberal Americans are a disease that the country would be better without.

That said, anyone have link to Moore's acceptance speech of the Palm d'Or ?
Old 05-23-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
...liberal Americans are a disease that the country would be better without.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Mind if I act like the "liberal media" and use this slightly abridged version as my signature?

Full credit given, of course.
Old 05-23-04, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD

That said, anyone have link to Moore's acceptance speech of the Palm d'Or ?
You got it. The Awards.

And the Press Conference of winners.

They run a little long, but it's a good show.

Namlala unono.
Old 05-23-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
wow...thanks for the links....

who was the first guy that said "don't vote Bush!"?? Good to see all that international goodwill
Old 05-23-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Conference link works, but a no go on the awards ceremony itself.
Old 05-23-04, 08:05 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
you know i may not be Bush's bigger fan but i do not believe that someone's opinion should be bigger than anyone elses

What Michael Moore has done is ensure his opinion on Bush in a million times stronger and more potent than any other person in the world
Old 05-23-04, 08:30 PM
Banned

Pathetic.
Old 05-23-04, 08:53 PM

Brizz - My pleasure. The young guy is Jonas Geirnaert, who won the Jury Prize for his short film Flatlife - which I bet will be very strongly considered as an extra feature for the Fahrenheit 9/11 DVD. It's apparently 11 minutes long, so it's feasible.

Dr. DVD - that's weird. On the PC at work, it worked fine in Mozilla. On the Mac at home, it only works in Internet Explorer. I had to refresh a couple of times, even then. Keep trying. I'll try to find another source if you haven't been able to see it by the end of tomorrow.

Ayubowan gehilla ennam.
Old 05-23-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Michael Moore raped my childhood and I hate him.

Oh, shit. Wrong thread. Please continue whining.
Old 05-23-04, 09:58 PM

"What Michael Moore has done is ensure his opinion on Bush in a million times stronger and more potent than any other person in the world"

What's stopping you from making your own movie to put your stance on any issue out into the public? Just because Moore is so confident his opinion is the correct one, and wants to share his opinion with others to see if they agree or disagree with him, doesn't mean he has a huge ego. Disagree or agree with him all you want and please. Then, instead of sitting at home, complaining that his opinion is being heard by millions, go out and make yours heard.
Old 05-23-04, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by KTIK
Then, instead of sitting at home, complaining that his opinion is being heard by millions, go out and make yours heard.
Old 05-23-04, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by Original Desmond
you know i may not be Bush's bigger fan but i do not believe that someone's opinion should be bigger than anyone elses

What Michael Moore has done is ensure his opinion on Bush in a million times stronger and more potent than any other person in the world
How do you figure? He has the same first amendment right as anybody else in this country to make his opinion known. Nothing is stopping you or anybody else in this country from making the same statement of your opinions.

Complaining because he has secured a way to distribute that opinion to a larger group really seems like sour grapes to me. If you don't like it, go out and secure your own distribution deal for your statement of your opinion.
Old 05-23-04, 10:08 PM

Yeah, I love the way this type of person thinks. They make a statement that has no truth behind it, then when their error is pointed out, they change directions as if their lies and half-truths weren't any problem at all. Kind of the same way that O'Reilly argues his points actually.

"The French awarded the film. Damn the French because they lost money as a result of the Iraq war."

"Oh, it wasn't the French, it was a jury made up of several people from different countries including four Americans? Well, they were liberal (say in best sinister voice) Americans then"

To a person like wm lopez, only his opinion matters.
Old 05-23-04, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by badger1997
To a person like Michael Moore, only his opinion matters.
FIXED.
Old 05-23-04, 10:52 PM

Please everyone, we can refrain from flaming. Everyone can be heard, so no one need attack previous posters. (Excepting me. I'm an idiot.)

That said, the awards list looks like a great selection so far! I was really glad to see The Ladykillers got a mention. I'm always glad to see American comedies get international awards - since I think international audiences seldom see American films that don't look like Hulk and Kill Bill.

The full list is here.

Ca ndyi.
Old 05-23-04, 11:47 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by KTIK
"What Michael Moore has done is ensure his opinion on Bush in a million times stronger and more potent than any other person in the world"

What's stopping you from making your own movie to put your stance on any issue out into the public? Just because Moore is so confident his opinion is the correct one, and wants to share his opinion with others to see if they agree or disagree with him, doesn't mean he has a huge ego. Disagree or agree with him all you want and please. Then, instead of sitting at home, complaining that his opinion is being heard by millions, go out and make yours heard.
Um actually Moore's opinion on Bush is similar to mine as i said i'm no fan of Bush. So yeah i could do a 'remake' of Moore's movie and just add a couple of new scenes here and there, mainly of nekkid women, can never have enough nekkid women
Old 05-24-04, 01:36 AM
Banned

slightly off-topic, but

to Maggie Cheung winning.
Old 05-24-04, 09:12 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cannes is in France.
So Moore wins top prize.

And I am simple.
Old 05-24-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I first heard about this film being made, I wondered:

If Moore spent all of this time doing research, interviewed dozens of people and then came up with a conclusion that put President Bush in a positive light, would he have even bothered making the movie?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.