Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone actually want to see Shrek 2?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Does anyone actually want to see Shrek 2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Does anyone actually want to see Shrek 2?

Originally posted by NitroJMS
Maybe its the fact that I now hate the original after seeing it a billion times at work, or that Shrek is everywhere at the moment, but is there actually much interest in this sequel? No one I know is talking about this movie even though everyone loved the original back in 2001.

I think the fact that Shrek is becoming what it made fun of in the first film (crass Disney marketing) is really going to hurt it.

BAW-HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

1. Shrek 2 (DreamWorks) / 4,163
$95 million | - | $115 million |

You must really not talk to many people.
Old 05-23-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I think that more people than those at Dreamworks have it out for Disney nowadays.
Old 05-23-04, 08:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by steebo777
The only problem I had with it was the last song: Living La Vida Loca. Did they really need that as the last song? Oh well, the movie still worked very well.
If this is indeed true then I have two things to say:

1. Shrek 2 has got to be the most ****ing awful toy-and-junk-food-commercial pretending to be entertainment, EVER MADE!

2. Anyone who likes it is an idiot. Sorry guys but you really are. You could write 300 pages about what you think is great about this film and I would still think you're an idiot because you liked a film that concluded with a rendition of Livin' La Vida Loca.

Give me a break. It's totally indefensible. There is no justification for liking this. If the first 90 minutes is as good as The Godfather, Gone With The Wind, and City Lights combined it would still be the worst movie ever made because it had Livin' La Vida Loca in it.

Last edited by Pants; 05-23-04 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-23-04, 08:11 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw it on Wednesday and it was good.
Old 05-23-04, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
blah blah blah... Anyone who likes it is an idiot... blah blah blah

I enjoyed the movie, so thanks for the personal attack.

It helps to see a movie before you bitch about it.
Old 05-24-04, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw it yesterday, good movie. It didn't have the magic of the first and I also found some of the music annoying, Livin La vida loca, and can't stand the All Star song. But the movie was funny, Puss n boots was like Mini me in Austin Powers 2, he stole the show.
Old 05-24-04, 07:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
2. Anyone who likes it is an idiot.
I think you crossed the line with this post. Have you even seen it?
Old 05-24-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jeff, while Pants' post may be a little off he has a point. The overuse of "popular" music in the original Shrek is one of the main reasons I've not watched it again. Just my opinion of course, and I hope you're at least open to hear constructive comments from both ends.
Old 05-24-04, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Jeff, while Pants' post may be a little off he has a point. The overuse of "popular" music in the original Shrek is one of the main reasons I've not watched it again. Just my opinion of course, and I hope you're at least open to hear constructive comments from both ends.
There's a difference between "constructive comments" and calling everybody an idiot if they don't agree with you. A HUGE difference.
Old 05-24-04, 11:22 AM
Banned

NO

Last edited by Pants; 05-24-04 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-24-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
There's a difference between "constructive comments" and calling everybody an idiot if they don't agree with you. A HUGE difference.
Oh, I agree.. I did not mean that Pants' comment was constructive at all. However, since he did bring up one of my main complaints I decided to put it in something less juvenile.
Old 05-24-04, 11:36 AM

From this point on anyone who reports liking this film really needs to address this issue. How can you like this? Don't you realize what it says about you when you claim to like something that contains such banality?
I don't think we have to address anything to you. You haven't even seen the film.

But for the record:

Ricky Martin song = BAD
Larry King = GOOD

And overall, the GOOD aspects of this film outweigh the BAD by a big margin.
I'll be leaving this thread now because I don't wish to say anything more or hear anything more about this awful film.
I hate to see you go...but I love watching you leave.
Old 05-24-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
Watched it. Loved it. So did 100 million other people.
Old 05-24-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by PixyJunket
Oh, I agree.. I did not mean that Pants' comment was constructive at all. However, since he did bring up one of my main complaints I decided to put it in something less juvenile.
While the choice of popular songs always bothers me to some degree. This film, even with that one bad note, is better than anything out there right now. And I would beg to say that anyone who would be some insecure to call the people who enjoyed the film and idiot must be a castrated, less than a man crackhead who wears womens undies while singing "we didn't start the fire" on a flute and shaped like a males sexual organ... and they smell bad. Yeah, that must be it. Why? Is there a need for reasons when you can make claims like that out of nowhere? I think not.

The good out does the bad and it's clear from the box office take in that the masses agree. Enjoyable movie and the enjoyment you got out of the 99% is not destroyed by that 1% of bad.
Old 05-24-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to say that I agree with the reviewers who have said that it may be better than the first one. I'm pretty sure I laughed harder than when I saw the first one for the first time. We are taking the kids in my youth group to see this weekend, so I'll get a chance to test it's rewatchability. I'll have a better idea after seeing a second time (too much stuff to process in one viewing).

Personal favorite scene:
Spoiler:
During the "Cops" montage, when they pull the catnip out of Puss's pocket and he says "That is not mine." I laughed several times later on that night at that one line.

I could care less about "Livin' La Vida Loca" . . . it seemed to me that it was a tie in to Puss In Boots' nationality. I thought it fit in fine, but didn't really think much about it either way.

jeffkjoe - Great job by you guys. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by talemyn; 05-24-04 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by talemyn

jeffkjoe - Great job by you guys. Keep up the good work. [/B]

Hey, thanks!

Old 05-24-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Boy its nice to see that the Star Wars and the Matrix are not the only film series that people are constantly complaining about and flaming
Old 05-24-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tanman
Watched it. Loved it. So did 100 million other people.
Actually, a little closer to 15-20 million likely saw it. It grossed $125 million, but many of those were likely children's tickets which messes with numbers a bit.
Old 05-25-04, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
Originally posted by NitroJMS
Actually, a little closer to 15-20 million likely saw it. It grossed $125 million, but many of those were likely children's tickets which messes with numbers a bit.
Calm down. It was just an exaggeration.

Old 05-25-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Went and saw it last night . . . while the story lacked some of the elements of the first, the pop culture homages were once again masterful (come on, they even squeezed in Sanford and Son and Blazing Saddles!). It was very amusing as different segments of the audience laughed at different jokes.

I'm not sure what drugs Pants is on, but there was (surprisingly) actually very little product placement in the film (I will agree that I am sick of seeing Shrek on EVERY damn product at the grocery store). What bit there was, once again, not so much placement (that shameless awful scene in Scooby Doo 2 was product placement) as it was pop culture references (Old Knavery, Farbucks, Saxxon 5th Ave.).

The only real change I would have made would have been to make the Fairy Godmother into more of a "Godfather" figure with "mob" ties.

As with the first film, I found myself watching the background more often than the focus. The best jokes are the hidden jokes.

Old 05-25-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw it. It was funny, better than the first. My favorite line:

Spoiler:
When Puss draws his sword on Shrek and Donkey, Donkey screams "Shrek, he's got a piece!" Funny stuff!