Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Donnie Darko -- Director's Cut

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Donnie Darko -- Director's Cut

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-04, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This will definitely be a double dip for me. I can't wait!
Old 04-27-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm most interested, since I'm one of the few who thought the film was "only" good with lots of potential, several missed opportunities and a couple of notable setbacks. The longer cut might be a considerable improvement, although I kind of doubt it.
Old 05-07-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

niiice
Old 05-07-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I like that poster. Not as cool as the Frank bunnyhead one, but it works for the DC, especially with an ax-weilding Donnie.
Old 05-07-04, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by Drop
Wow, I like that poster. Not as cool as the Frank bunnyhead one, but it works for the DC, especially with an ax-weilding Donnie.
I think that it will give the movie a differnt vibe for people who haven't seen it. I can't wait!
Old 05-08-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 05-08-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by drjay
Ryo - I can't imagine watching it blazed for the first time. Several of my friends did, and understood nothing except the bunny scared the SHIT out of them, hahaha.
I was completely sober and I didn't understand it.
Old 05-09-04, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DodgingCars
I was completely sober and I didn't understand it.
My ego demanded that I understand it, so after an hour-long conversation with the friend I watched it with, I got out my copy of A Brief History of Time and kind of made some real-life sense out of it. Then I watched with commentary and realized the director certainly had no sense of real physics, but oh well, I still love the movie.
Old 05-27-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Donnie Darko: DC to be released in theaters on June 4th (7 screens in Seattle)

According to BoxOfficeMojo, this will be released on June 4th on 7 screens in Seattle. So if you live in Seattle....GO! Show them that people will see it , then maybe it'll get a wider release.
Old 05-28-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
thought it was may 29th?

though a wider release is expected more towards summer so no need to get the pitch forks and picketing signs. New Markets got the cash now a days to do a wide release for a film.
Old 05-28-04, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the 29th is when it is at the Seattle Film Festival. I might be wrong though.
Old 05-28-04, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
think you are right about that
Old 05-28-04, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just found this....

According to MovieTickets.com, it starts playing on June 2nd in New York. BUT when I looked up on MovieTickets.com to see what theaters, it says that it doesn't start playing until July 23rd. Hmmmm......
Old 05-28-04, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

interesting. they sure need to get orginized on this quickly as time just keeps on coming closer.
Old 05-28-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since the first release played here in Nashville, I'm hoping this cut will as well.
Old 05-30-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
So, did anyone attend the show yesterday at the Seattle film festival? If so, can you post your review and thoughts?
Old 06-03-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Donnie Darko: Director's Cut Review

First one I've seen, and it's GOOD!

Added footage gives 'Darko' new depth

By SEAN AXMAKER
SPECIAL TO THE POST-INTELLIGENCER

Donnie Darko (Jake Gyllenhaal) is an otherwise normal rebellious, angry kid who slumps and frumps his way through the confusion of his life. He just happens to have a little more confusion than most of us, much of it caused by visitations from a demonic looking 6-foot rabbit named Frank, who tells him that the world is going to end in 26 days.

MOVIE REVIEW
DONNIE DARKO: DIRECTOR'S CUT

DIRECTOR: Richard Kelly

CAST: Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone,

Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne,

Drew Barrymore

RUNNING TIME: 133 minutes

RATING: R for language, some

drug use and violence

WHERE: Bella Bottega, East Valley 13, Grand Cinemas Alderwood, Uptown, Varsity

GRADE: A

In Richard Kelly's visually imaginative and intellectually challenging debut film, Donnie is a contemporary Holden Caulfield in a grim and glorious world of nightmares and dreams: jet engines fall from an empty sky and alternate realities and time travel are as present as teen angst and high school melodrama. At least they are to Donnie, who can suddenly see the fabric of fate in the ectoplasmic trajectories that lead us to our destiny.

But it's also a frustrating world in which fatuous platitudes are offered in place of practical advice, where censorship hangs over dedicated teachers like a sword of Damocles, and where teenagers aren't trusted to handle the complexities of the world, even through the mirror of literature and philosophy.

Fiction predicted reality perfectly. Distributors thought that young audiences wouldn't understand the film and gave it a disastrous release to an urban adult audience in 2001. It was DVD that transformed it from box office flop to home video cult hit, a veritable phenomenon among teens and tweens, who connect with its inarticulate hero and debate the film in chat rooms, discussion forums and fan Web sites.

Using the momentum from its home video success, the producers are relaunching the film, hoping to find the audience that eluded it the first time around and entice the converted into the theater with a big screen experience and an even denser cinematic presentation.

While 20 minutes of additional footage doesn't transform the film, it enriches the characters (tender new scenes between Donnie and his family makes the heady conclusion even more devastating) and gives the science fiction underpinnings a stronger philosophy (albeit one closer to Philip K. Dick than Stephen Hawking).

But even while it "explains" Donnie's odyssey more clearly, it paradoxically opens the film up to alternate interpretations. Whether you think the tangent universe of "Donnie Darko" is real, dreamed or a schizophrenic hallucination, the wonderfully weird trip leaves you with meaty questions, both metaphysical and moral, and a journey through time-space that is, if anything, even more philosophically invigorating and emotionally intense.
Old 06-03-04, 11:10 AM

Sounds good...hopefully when it comes to theaters it will be in my area.
Old 06-03-04, 11:20 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
just...
can't...
wait...
for...
it...
to...
hit...
DVD!!
it will hit soon...right?????
Old 06-03-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didnt see it in theatres but remember reading some great stuff about it so I bought the DVD and love the movie. If only audiences would give it a try, they might like it.
Maybe Jake's popularity will grow after Day After Tomorrow and people will go see him in D.D.
Old 06-03-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I give the movie a thumbs up for attempting to be philosophical it was still a jumbled mess. Hopefully the Directors Cut will make a little bit more sense.
Old 06-03-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by scott1598
just...
can't...
wait...
for...
it...
to...
hit...
DVD!!
it will hit soon...right?????
screw dvd, Give me theater listings and times Stat!
Old 06-03-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

And I just bought the old DVD. Damn.
Old 06-03-04, 02:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally posted by cleaver
that's alright..i'm sure you didn't pay more than $10.00..so not too bad, right?
Old 06-03-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cleaver
No big, it's not the same movie. Well, not exactly. The difference is the twenty minutes of deleted scenes incorporated back into the film (some of which weren't on the DVD as extras), upgraded special effects and more 80's songs thrown in on the soundtrack. Bring it on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.