Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Quentin Tarantino flick? Kill Bill Vol.2 Vs. Reservoir Dogs (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Best Quentin Tarantino flick...?
Reservoir Dogs
7.14%
Pulp Fiction
58.57%
Jackie Brown
13.57%
Kill Bill v1
6.43%
Kill Bill v2
1.43%
Since Kill Bill was originally one long epic, both parts combined.
12.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Best Quentin Tarantino flick? Kill Bill Vol.2 Vs. Reservoir Dogs (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-04, 02:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts
Well, when you post best Tarantino flick, it kinda opens it up to ones he also wrote and one he wrote that happens to be one of my all time favorites is "True Romance". This is the movie that started it all for ultra-violence, incredible characters, witty dialogue, and the QT staple- "ultimate shootout". This predates "Resorvoir Dogs" infamous last stand scene that has become a relic in modern day cinema.

"True Romance" is one of those quirky, action movies that hits all the right notes if you like that sorta stuff..and I do. It may be raw and slightly under-developed than the rest, but that is what makes it brilliant in its own right..the fact that it was a testing ground for all of QT's other magnificent opus' and that it is still quite a piece of amazing work.

From Walken to Hopper..they all give so much to the roles that you can't help feel the giddy happiness when watching.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention "Pulp Fiction" and Kill Bill Vol. 1" as they are two of my favorites as well. Not just by QT, but of all movies. They just sparkle with energy and are so incredibly unique that you wonder if we will ever see 2 like it again.

Duel Guns Recoil
Old 04-20-04, 05:00 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulp Fiction is one of the greatest films ever made. It's the best and my favourite (although I do agree that the scenes from when Bruce Willis enters the cab until he hits Marcellus with his car are dead sloooooooooooowwwww and don't hold up on repeat viewings).

Kill Bill is also masterful - probably my second and third favourites, with Vol. 1 being far behind the greatness of Vol. 2. I can't wait to see Vol. 2 repeatedly on DVD.

Jackie Brown is far underrated - after the masterpiece that was Pulp Fiction people seem to have been disappointed by this slower character-driven film. But it was QT at the top of his filmmaking game at the time - I think Kill Bill surpassed it, but Kill Bill doesn't have the heart and soul that Pulp Fiction does.

Reservoir Dogs - dead last for me - but it's still a good film. It's small and does hold up well on repeat-viewings, but it's a little gangly and awkward at times - which is to be expected for a first film.

What Kill Bill shows is that QT isn't a one-trick pony. He's truly one of the great filmmakers and is here to stay.

I just hope he doesn't wait five years to make another film.
Old 08-12-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Kill Bill Vol.2 Vs. Reservoir Dogs

I have found my new all time favorite movie and it is Kill Bill Vol.2.

For the longest time I thought my fav. director of all time would never be able to trump his first film Reservoir Dogs...............but he has and he did so in such a huge way.

Now, since I didn't title this thread appropriately I know everyone who hates the QT will be posting here............It will be interesting to see how long this thread stays on topic (no matter how short it may be as well).

It was such a bold statement for me to make, but it's true.

I just get so damn lost in Vol. 2 - I love every second of it and I can't get enough. There's so much heart and emotion poured into this film and hits me like a ton of bricks everytime.

A homage?? Of course it is but even the sources from which this film was created cannot compare to the pure adreanline rush I get from Vol. 2, it's just so well done and there isn't one bad second or scene.

Of course this is my take and I'm interested to see what others think (obviously the Tarantino fans who's fav. film by him is the Dogs).
Old 08-13-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Hmmm, tough call for me. Actually, I like PULP FICTION and KILL BILL Vol 1 better than KB Vol 2 and RESERVOIR DOGS, but I really can't decide between the two films you mention. I think it will take more viewings of KB2 to make a decision (I've only seen it 4 times so far, compared to the countless times I've seen DOGS). A tentative ranking for me would be:

1. Kill Bill Vol 1
2. Pulp Fiction
3 or 4. Reservoir Dogs
3 or 4. Kill Bill Vol 2 (both of these two are equal right now)
5. Jackie Brown

At any rate, all of these rankings are very close. I'm a huge QT fan, and all 5 of these films blow away most US films from the past 12 years that I have seen, IMO.
Old 08-13-04, 12:42 AM
MSD

Jackie
Pulp
KB vol1
KB vol2
Res Dogs
Old 08-13-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Reservoir Dogs

I'd also put True Romance at #1 above all of QT's work.
Old 08-13-04, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was never a huge fan of Dogs, so looks like this for me:

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill Vol 1
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill vol 2
Reservoir Dogs
Old 08-13-04, 02:45 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tony Dvdfan
I was never a huge fan of Dogs, so looks like this for me:

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill Vol 1
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill vol 2
Reservoir Dogs
Old 08-13-04, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
If I had a gun to my head my list would look like:

Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Perhaps the most brilliant pace I've ever seen in an action-oriented film. Arterial sprays,great-looking women,Ennio Morricone,Sonny Chiba,Ichi the Killer-regulars, and a dose of anime gives this an automatic "A" for me)
Kill Bill Vol. 2 (Sentimental because some of it was shot in my hometown of Victorville/The High Desert. But It's got Gordon Liu,Ennio Morricone (Again),Michael Madsen,A killer cat-fight and and a remarkable performance by David Carradine)
Pulp Fiction (Fractured timeline has never been used better and an abundance of excellent performances. Racial slurs are the only thing that handicaps this for me)
Jackie Brown (I identify with Quentin by saying that it's a "hangout" movie because that's exactly what this is for me. It helps that I'm a lover of both classic soul music and blaxpoitation. And this one is able to slide since it's not an entirely Tarantino creation)
Reservoir Dogs (I'm not a big fan of many of the dogs *'cept for Blonde* so that hurts things a bit. Not a big fan of the abrupt ending either but hey, what can you do)

Big Tarantino fan here in case you didn't know.
Old 08-13-04, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1. Pulp Fiction
2. KB1
3. Dogs
4. KB2
5. Jackie Brown
Old 08-13-04, 08:30 AM

1. Kill Bill Vol 2
2. Kill Bill Vol 1
3. R Dogs
4. Pulp
5. Jackie Brown
Old 08-13-04, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill Vol 2
Kill Bill Vol 1
Jackie Brown
Reservoir Dogs
Old 08-13-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Ergyu
1. Pulp Fiction
2. KB1
3. Dogs
4. KB2
5. Jackie Brown
Me, too.
Old 08-13-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

my rankings (i love em all)
1. pulp fiction the quinisential Tarantino flick, so many great lines, and many complete passages that i know by heart i've seen it so many times in 2 years.
2. true romance sure its not a film he directedl, but the dialogue is still there. the scicilian speech by dennis hopper is brilliantly written and acted (walken is amazing as always)
3. kill bill 2 while its not quite as action packed as 1, there is so much deph and heart, its hard not to recommend to anyone
4. kill bill 1 easily his fastest paced movie the entire house of blue leaves sequence is great
5. reservoir dogs, the ear scene is very darkly funny, and steve buscemi is probably my favorite character actor.
6. jackie brown, this and kill bill 2 are his most mature works, and the one movie where De Niro does not play a cop or a gangster.
Old 08-13-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My Rankings:

1) Pulp Fiction (I had never seen a movie like it before)
2) Reservoir Dogs
3) Jackie Brown
4) Kill Bill vol 2
5) Kill Bill Vol 1
6) The scene he directed in Four Rooms

I didn't really like True Romance that much, but maybe I will give it another viewing since I haven't seen it since it was new.

I love all of his movies that he did himself, but the part he directed in Four Rooms is probably an average movie.
Old 08-13-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
my rankings (i love em all)
1. pulp fiction the quinisential Tarantino flick, so many great lines, and many complete passages that i know by heart i've seen it so many times in 2 years.
2. true romance sure its not a film he directedl, but the dialogue is still there. the scicilian speech by dennis hopper is brilliantly written and acted (walken is amazing as always)
3. kill bill 2 while its not quite as action packed as 1, there is so much deph and heart, its hard not to recommend to anyone
4. kill bill 1 easily his fastest paced movie the entire house of blue leaves sequence is great
5. reservoir dogs, the ear scene is very darkly funny, and steve buscemi is probably my favorite character actor.
6. jackie brown, this and kill bill 2 are his most mature works, and the one movie where De Niro does not play a cop or a gangster.
That sums up my views pretty perfectly.
Old 08-13-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Reservoir Dogs
Jackie Brown
Old 08-13-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Old 08-13-04, 03:52 PM

1. Reservoir Dogs (the impact this movie had on me when I first saw it in the theatre was pretty profound as a moviegoer. As revelatory as seeing Taxi Driver, Bladerunner, Road Warrior, and other movies that changed the modern hard boiled genre. The characters, the tension, the explosive violence, the music, the dialog, and it was politically incorrect to boot)

2. Pulp Fiction

3. True Romance*

4. NBK*

4. Kill Bill Vol.1 and 2 (too many awkward moments with flashes of brilliance, for me anyways)

5. Jackie Brown (a better movie than Kill Bill but not too exciting to watch)

Dead Last: Four Rooms short.

*QT movies to me.

Last edited by IanH; 08-13-04 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-13-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

NBK should not be consitered a QT movie, yeah he wrote the script, but Oliver Stone and company threw out 90% of the scene's and made new ones, and QT has disowned that one as well.
Old 08-13-04, 04:17 PM

Yes, I know. Oliver Stone's heavy hand is all over that one and I know QT distanced himself from that project. But for me during the early 90's that was the era of Quentin Tarantino and I cannot not think of NBK and not think QT. Its just my personal list.
Old 08-13-04, 04:44 PM

Kill Bill Vol. 2
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Reservoir Dogs
Old 05-25-08, 05:37 PM

To me, Jackie Brown was QT's best and most mature work. Hell, I might even put Death Proof above Reservoir Dogs.
Old 05-25-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Reservoir Dogs

I'd also put True Romance at #1 above all of QT's work.
I still agree with my 2004 self.
Old 05-25-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
I like my previous post in this thread - a while after, my love for the res dogs came back.

Having said that, I still love vol.2 as well and can honestly say at the time, it did trump the dogs for me but upon revisiting dogs again.........It brought something back for me and for some reason, it once again became my all time fav.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.