DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Best Quentin Tarantino flick? Kill Bill Vol.2 Vs. Reservoir Dogs (merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/359402-best-quentin-tarantino-flick-kill-bill-vol-2-vs-reservoir-dogs-merged.html)

Rogue588 04-19-04 03:29 PM

Best &/or Favourite Quentin Tarantino flick? And why...?

So now that Kill Bill v2 has been released, which flick of QT's do you think is the best?

I realize "favourite" might not always mean "best", so if you can differentiate between the two, and they are different things, feel free..

das Monkey 04-19-04 03:38 PM

That's really hard, because I don't want to give <b>Kill Bill</b> an unfair "fresh in memory" advantage. Before this, I would have said <b>Jackie Brown</b> was the best, and <b>Pulp Fiction</b> was my favorite. Now, I'm tempted to list <b>Vol 2</b> as the best.

das

Rivero 04-19-04 03:41 PM

Jackie Brown

Ordell Robbie: Look, I hate to be the kinda ***** does a ***** a favor, then, BAM!, hits a ***** up for a favor in return. But I'm afraid I gotta be that kinda *****.

Beaumont: What?

Ordell Robbie: I need a favor.

Sessa17 04-19-04 03:42 PM

I have to go hands down, Kill Bill being that I wasn't a Tarantino fan before this movie (I refer to them as being one movie). In fact, I think I've gotten in several arguments in this forum (& tons in real life) way before Kill Bill came out, posting/saying how overrated Tarantino is. Before KB the only movie of his I really liked was Jackie Brown, so Kill Bill is his masterpiece IMO & a flawless film. It will have it's haters, many of which belong to this forum but for me it's just the art of film at it's finest. Also, since loving Kill Bill so much, I've rewatched all of his other stuff & have a new appreciation for his work.

As for why it's my favorite. I'm a dork, like Tarantino, the movie is an homage to all of my favorite genres so I just felt like it was a movie made just for me.

Corvin 04-19-04 03:49 PM

I think Pulp Fiction is QT's best film, and it is also my favorite film (from him). Kill Bill: Volume 1 would probably be the runner-up.

antennaball 04-19-04 03:53 PM

I've gotta go with Pulp Fiction on both counts. They're all good, but I think Pulp stands out in my mind because of the superior dialogue.

Supermallet 04-19-04 03:54 PM

His best is probably Pulp Fiction, and for a long time my favorite was Jackie Brown, but now my favorite is Kill Bill (as one long movie).

Corvin 04-19-04 04:05 PM

Originally posted by antennaball
They're all good, but I think Pulp stands out in my mind because of the superior dialogue.
I forgot to point out why in my original post, but suffice to say, I'm with antennaball. Gotta' love the script.

matome 04-19-04 05:06 PM

Well, the only two in the running for me here were Pulp Fiction & Kill Bill. While PF gets the nod in the writing department for the most part, I felt the scenes with Bruce Willis in the cab and the motel room put a drag on the film. Whenever I watch it, I chapter skip those. Now, even with Kill Bill clocking in at four hours, I actually wish it could've been longer and would love to see any scenes that he still cut out from the film. I thoroughly enjoyed every one of the 237 minutes from KB.

Simpson Purist 04-19-04 05:10 PM

1. Pulp Fiction - The one that got into QT flicks, plus it's got everything you want in a movie. Great characters, dialogue, humor, action, etc.
2. Kill Bill Volumes One and Two - A 4-hour revenge flick? QT makes magic once again.
3. Jackie Brown - Totally underrated gem, once again shining with great dialogue. QT's most intimate film.
4. Reservoir Dogs - While I still love the film, I do think it gets a bit overrated upon repeat viewings.

necros 04-19-04 05:40 PM

I like Pulp Fiction the best, followed by kill bill (both). KB is awesome, but it's a bit too "artsy" for my tastes and I think Q is the only one out there that could pull it off in the way/style he did. But, I just like how pulp fiction flows and stuff the best. I never saw jackie brown, but I've seen Resivoir Dogs. I'd have to say True Romance deserves honorable mention though even though he just wrote it.

Rypro 525 04-19-04 06:12 PM

what makes Kill Bill "artsy"?

LBCrazyFool 04-19-04 06:27 PM

It was Pulp Fiction until I saw Kill Bill Vol. 1 this past weekend. Man, that blew me away. Can't wait for my R2 box set to get here because I have been itching to watch it again.

My favorite movie that he wrote is True Romance, hands down...

nemein 04-19-04 06:30 PM

Reservoir Dogs because it's the only one I can stand to rewatch. I think that may be more because of what the movie was originally taken from and I think QT did a better job of pacing/revealing the "twist" than the original did.

QuiGonJosh 04-19-04 06:51 PM

Kill Bill...both...one big movie!

caiman 04-19-04 07:23 PM

Surprised at the lack of love for Reservoir Dogs.

My order:

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Kill Bill
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Jackie Brown

Reservoir Dogs is just... awesome. The music, the characters, the gritty violence, the stageplay-esque style. Great freakin' movie.

Dr. DVD 04-19-04 08:22 PM

Pulp will most likely always be one, but the Kill Bill saga is now firmly rooted at #2 on my list.

talemyn 04-19-04 09:07 PM

Gotta be Pulp Fiction. The writing is the main reason, but only just behind it is the cinematography. This was the film that made me realize how much impact good cinematogrpahy can have on a film.

Darkfriend 04-19-04 09:31 PM

Pulp Fiction for me.The great cinematography and dialogue was like a welcomed slap in the face :lol:

Troy Stiffler 04-19-04 09:50 PM

Pulp Fiction is the best; a real staple in the way films are made. I respect it over all of his others.

Kill Bill is my favorite.

RyoHazuki 04-19-04 11:12 PM

1. Reservoir Dogs- Great dialouge, every scene works, most realistic Tarantino flick.

2. Pulp Fiction- Probably best dialouge but drags in places.

3. Kill Bill Pt.2-Great movie, great dialouge, great action although still kinda feels like half of a story.

4. Kill Bill Pt.1- A buttload of good action but not enough in the script department.

5. Jackie Brown- Basically Pulp Fiction without the fiction or fun. Too much wannabe Tarantino dialouge.

MasterCXtreme 04-19-04 11:23 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Pulp will most likely always be one, but the Kill Bill saga is now firmly rooted at #2 on my list.
Same case with me. I prefer V2 over V1, but I don't feel comfortable rating it as 2 different movies. Reservoir Dogs takes the third spot. Jackie Brown is last, but not least.

NaturalMystic79 04-20-04 10:51 AM

Pulp Fiction : best story, acting, dialogue and had the best pacing. Kill Bill is very overrated, IMHO.

Giles 04-20-04 10:57 AM

Originally posted by Simpson Purist

3. Jackie Brown - Totally underrated gem, once again shining with great dialogue. QT's most intimate film.

exactly, and Pam Grier is fierce!

GuessWho 04-20-04 01:55 PM

Jacki Brown is a 2nd tier "Tarantino Movie" because it's an adaptation of a book -- it's not an original idea of QT's.