Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Documentary about McDonalds?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-04, 10:20 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep hearing about a recent documentary that someone did where for a whole month he ate every meal at McDonalds, and by the end he was all sick and fat. Anyway I hear it's pretty good so I wanna see it. Anyone know what it's caled and where I can find it?
Old 04-11-04, 10:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Supersize Me
Old 04-11-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^BANNED! we all knew you were an insider Groucho!
Old 04-11-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was reading about this movie elsewhere and it seems to me the guy must be a hypochondriac or allergic to beef or something. According to what I read he was having adverse reactions within a couple of days. Was he vegan before starting the diet or something?
Old 04-11-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You would get FAT eating McD every day!
Old 04-11-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by wmansir
I was reading about this movie elsewhere and it seems to me the guy must be a hypochondriac or allergic to beef or something. According to what I read he was having adverse reactions within a couple of days. Was he vegan before starting the diet or something?
His girlfriend was a vegan and he kind of followed the diet before starting this "adventure".

I ate McDonalds all the time growing up and you know when I gained weight? When I left home and started culinary school. The meals were more balanced but I still put on that freshman 15 that everyone talks about.

This guy wasn't a normal person and this stupid stunt had an adverse effect on him because he couldn't take it. It reminds me of the South Park where the boys stop eating meat and one of them develops little vaginas all over from not eating the meat.
Old 04-11-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eugh, every time I try McD's now 'n then my stomach wants to murder me for an hour afterwards, and I'm not allergic or anything like that. I can't imagine the pain this guy was in for the month, haha.

I've heard the point of the movie is more based on portion size and the reasons behind us eating so much fast food anyway--not just slamming McD's. I haven't seen it, but I definitely will check it out if it's playing around here.
Old 04-12-04, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I'm definitely interested in seeing this. And all those who think a Mickey D's burger meal is "healthy" really need to go read "Fast Food Nation."

Last edited by The Antipodean; 04-12-04 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-12-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
And all those who think a Mickey D's burger meal is "healthy" really need to go read "Fast Food Nation."
Really, though, is there anyone actually debating this? I don't think people are under the impression that eating a meal at McDonald's is similar to eating a truly healthy meal.

I have no interest in seeing this movie. A guy gets sick after eating McDonald's for a month straight. Who would have thought?
Old 04-12-04, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
According to some news reports, McDonald's recent menu revisions were partially motivated by the strong response to this movie at film festivals.
Old 04-12-04, 10:52 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by marty888
According to some news reports, McDonald's recent menu revisions were partially motivated by the strong response to this movie at film festivals.

Yeah, both showings of this film sold out at the SF film festival, before tickets even went on sale for the general public.
But since a theatrical release is pretty much assured for this film, I'll be catching it later.
Old 04-12-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
People just don't care. They figure they don't have the time or can't make the time and live a lazy life. oh wells.
Old 04-12-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
Supersize Me
Recommendations

If you like this title, we also recommend...

Italian Job, The (2003)

Old 04-12-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Recommendations

If you like this title, we also recommend...

Italian Job, The (2003)

Even better, if you click on "More Recommendations" it says Godfather trilogy.
Old 04-12-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ate McDonald's straight for 10 days and didn't gain a pound. I should make a movie and have McDonald's finance it.
Old 04-12-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Originally posted by flashburn
Even better, if you click on "More Recommendations" it says Godfather trilogy.
Oh my god! Are you trying to tell me that that's where the rest of the horse went?!
Old 04-12-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Just looked at the IMDB link. In the trivia it says that McD's will no longer sell "Super Size." I have heard this before, but does anybody know of a McD's that doesn't still have Super Size? (PS--They will probably just change the name to "Dimpus burger and a liter of cola.")

Edited to add: After thinking a little more about this, what idiot would eat nothing more than fast food, in particular fast food from only one place, and then act surprised that he got fat? Duh.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 04-12-04 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-12-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^^ McDonalds has made an anouncement that it will phase it out. So it may still be on there, but by the end of summer super sizing will be phased out.
Old 04-12-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gimme a literacola!!!
Old 04-12-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will want to see this doc for sure.

I used to eat McD once in a while as a kid. But the last time I had McD (last month) I wasn't hungry for a day and a half

I didn't feel sick, I just was not hungry... Like my stomach was cemented with that Royale with cheese.

Oh and when I'm watching the news after waking up at 7 am, sipping my coffee and I see one of their ads with a Big Mac taking all the space on my TV, I want to puke.

Nah nah nah nah nah.... I'm hatin' it
Old 04-12-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I haven't had McDonalds for a good six months. Haven't felt healthier.
Old 04-13-04, 11:14 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Expect a BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE type release pattern for this film.
Old 04-13-04, 11:24 AM
Suspended

Actually I like McDonalds food, well some of it anyway, but like all fast food or overly fried stuff, just don't eat a lot of it and you'll be OK. I'd still like to see this documentary though. I figured it was out on DVD or something, guess I'll wait for it since we don't get "artsy" movies at the theateres around here, they're all 10 screen megatheaters that only play the usual hollywood junk
Old 04-13-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That documentary is little more than an idiot starving himslef to prove that you need balanced food to live. It's all stuff we already know. Now if you want to really know some secrets about the fast food industry, like profits, how they cook/process the food, etc, check out this amazing book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
Old 05-09-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just saw this excellent doc yesterday. Wow! It really opened my eyes to the gigantic portions we are now accustomed to. a lot of stuff i knew, but chose to ignore in the past.
I was especially intrigued by the scene where they show a gastric bypass operation. I had just had mine done 5 days earlier, see.
Needless to say, I am now VERY aware of portion sizes with my golf ball size stomach.
I recommend this film. Hope it helps a lot of people WAKE UP.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.