Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill: Volume 2 thoughts

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kill Bill: Volume 2 thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-04, 01:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by jough
I've seen some interesting things debated before, but never something that was EXPLICITLY stated in the film.
No kidding. Tons of interesting things to discuss about this movie and we get:

"I thought Bill worked for the Bride?"

and

"OMG Budd's Sword is not a Hanzo WTF LOLOLOLOL"
Old 04-27-04, 01:10 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw this friday and was pleasantly surprised as I wasn't a huge fan of the original. It was just too much action/style, not enough substance IMO and was a little too over the top IMO.

The second slowed things down, had more charater development and was just much better as a whole IMO.

I think I'd have enjoyed the whole thing better if it had came out as one movie with some stuff I personally didn't care much for cut out (anime scene, house of blue leaves fight shortened up) to make the pacing better when watching the whole thing.
Old 04-27-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I think I'd have enjoyed the whole thing better if it had came out as one movie with some stuff I personally didn't care much for cut out (anime scene, house of blue leaves fight shortened up) to make the pacing better when watching the whole thing.
I agree. Although I still enjoyed both films very much for totally different reasons.

Pai Mei cracks me up so much, I love seeing more of him in Kill Bill Volume -0.045521

Old 04-27-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,406 Likes on 1,621 Posts
I don't think it's from Dead or Alive Final (didn't originate at least) as I recall hearing that long ago. Of course, I do have an chinese family, maybe it's kanji I know nothing about.

That said, yes - it was said that way for a purpose, where its from though? I don't know.
"Ah, so" is just a Japanese way of saying "I see". Its a short form of saying "Ah, so desu" (which is sometimes said as a question, "So desu ka?" which is more of an equivalent to "Really?"). It can also be further shortened to just "So", without the interjection "Ah" (not really a Japanese word, just a sound).

Bill and Beatrix both know Japanese, so I could see them using the expression from time to time. I don't really think its a homage to a film or anything.
Old 04-27-04, 07:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by cultshock
Bill and Beatrix both know Japanese, so I could see them using the expression from time to time. I don't really think its a homage to a film or anything.
Well, okay, but in Dead or Alive Final one character says it in response to just about every line, to the point where it's a defining characteristic of the film, so it's possible that it is an homage.
Old 04-27-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Well, okay, but in Dead or Alive Final one character says it in response to just about every line, to the point where it's a defining characteristic of the film, so it's possible that it is an homage.

No.

Old 04-28-04, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by superd
Yeah no kidding. What a stupid debate.
Ok people... it's just an observation, I said I may not be right (and have no problem not being right).... but at least a few other people picked up on it as well. The script is the only postitive evidence anyone has provided and I am not aware of it's source as it obviously isn't what is on film. Everything else everone is saying is just as interperative as my observations..
If you don't want to play please feel free to move along... plus it's not like more irrelevant stuff hasn't been 'discussed' around here.

I thought it was extremely obvious that Budd kept his Hanzo sword for sentimental reasons, but he was pissed that Bill kept wanting him to do more assassin stuff, so he told Bill that he pawned it. He knows that telling that to Bill would piss him off and it works.
Yes, but the scene could also show that Budd has fallen from a kick ass fighter into a trailer trash loser who did sell a valuble item for a few bucks.

1. Movie mentions that Budd had/has a Hanzo sword that Bill gave to him.
Does it ??? I don't remember it stating that Bill gave the sword to Budd... Bill only asked if he still had it.

4. Not much later, Uma finds a sword in Budd's trailer. It is enscribed from Bill. Ding Ding Ding. Why is it not obvious at this point?
It's not obvious because of #1 above and we never see the Hanzo engraving.

5. Uma tells Elle that it is Budd's Hanzo. We have no reason to believe she is lying.
AND

Just saw it again yesterday. Elle asks the Bride "Is that Budd's Hanzo?" and the Bride nods. Elle then notes that Budd said he pawned it, and the Bride says "I guess that makes him a liar then."
Because movie characters always tell the 'truth' ?

The Bride may be trying to bluff Elle... again, the main thing that makes me question the sword is that The bride intentionally turns the inscription away from Elle at this point to hide it... WHY ??? No one addresses this. I thought she may be turning the Hanzo engraving towards Elle to show her but I didn't see it.... do we ever see the other side of the sword ?

6. Uma kicks butt with it (against her own Hanzo), confirming once again that it is a Hanzo.

Was O-Ren's sword a Hanzo ?? She held up for a while with hers for longer than the Bride-Elle battle.

Despite the Captain Obvious posts, I think the scene can play out either way just fine in the context of the movie... i'm really not arguing just to argue or trolling, I could find a million other subjects if I wanted to do that. So no more "OMG U HAV3 N0 C1U3, WTF !!!!!!!!111111!1" post thankyou.

Last edited by greg9x; 04-28-04 at 03:51 AM.
Old 04-28-04, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's a Hanzo blade. nothing is pointing otherwise
Old 04-28-04, 04:07 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by RichC2
No.

I do have to say this, though. This line of conversation dearly makes me want to go watch Dead Or Alive 2 and Dead Or Alive Final again.
Old 04-28-04, 09:39 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by greg9x
Does it ??? I don't remember it stating that Bill gave the sword to Budd... Bill only asked if he still had it.
The sword is engraved:

"To Budd, the only man I ever loved. -- Bill"

The Bride may be trying to bluff Elle... again, the main thing that makes me question the sword is that The bride intentionally turns the inscription away from Elle at this point to hide it... WHY ??? No one addresses this.
Because we're being shown the engraving.

Was O-Ren's sword a Hanzo ?? She held up for a while with hers for longer than the Bride-Elle battle.
Yes, O-Ren also has a Hanzo.

Despite the Captain Obvious posts, I think the scene can play out either way just fine in the context of the movie... i'm really not arguing just to argue or trolling
I can see how people would debate things that happen off-camera, or motives of characters, etc., but you're arguing about things that were explicit in the film. There's nothing in the film to support your argument that Budd's sword was not a Hanzo. There's a lot to support that it is.

I read on another forum someone arguing that the Bride didn't really kill Bill, and that she just knocked him out. When questioned about his sanity or crack use he said "Well, you never do see him die, do you?" and of course, you DO see him die. I suppose for some people they need to flash up title cards like:

BILL IS REALLY DEAD NOW
HE IS NOT JUST KNOCKED OUT
HIS HEART EXPLODED INSIDE HIS CHEST

Or maybe, getting back to the topic at hand:

THE BRIDE IS HOLDING BUDD'S HANZO SWORD
SEE, BUDD LIED ABOUT PAWNING IT
IT WAS GIVEN TO HIM BY BILL
SEE THE INSCRIPTION?
THE BRIDE IS BATTLING ELLE WITH BUDD'S HANZO SWORD
ELLE IS HOLDING THE BRIDE'S OWN HANZO SWORD
THIS FIGHT IS A CLASH OF THE HANZOS
IT IS A KUNG FU MOVIE TRADITION

AH SO

I guess some people have small bladders or get sleepy in a dark room, and tend to miss much of the film they're watching.
Old 04-28-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jough, you rock.
Old 04-28-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally posted by greg9x
Main reasoning as said above, she deliberatly turns the inscription away from Elle (Why ?? The only thing she would have to hide is evidence that it is NOT a Hanzo sword since she is trying to convince Elle that it is), plus we never see the Hanzo engraving on the sword itself. (Although on the Tonight Show, David Carradine said Bill's sword was supposed to have a Devil engraving instead of the Dog, but believe it was still a Hanzo).
Why does she turn the sword the way she does? It's simple, she wasn't holding it in an attack position. The flick the wrist let Ellie know that it was now on, and she was now ready to kick some ass.

But that having been said, I think there might be something to your idea, please indulge my insanity. We aren't told when this movie takes place (if you ignore the "In 2003 Uma Thurman will Kill Bill" line from the trailers), but since Earl McGraw is alive in this film, despite dying in From Dusk Til Dawn, perhaps this film takes place before that film, and if that's the case, maybe it takes place before Pulp Fiction. And maybe Budd did pawn the sword.

I was watching Pulp Fiction last night, and when we get to the "Marcelus squeals like a pig" scene, Butch saves him with a samurai sword, a sword from a pawn shop... Could it be that Budd did pawn his Hanzo, and that sword went on to save Butch and Marcelus?

I don't believe this theory for a second, but the coincidence of a pawned samurai sword in both films made me think of the connection.

But the fact that Budd's sword was in a Hanzo case, and that it was able to match the Bride's own Hanzo, makes it pretty clear it's the real thing.
Old 04-28-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

El Paso and Los Angeles are not the same thing.
Old 04-28-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone know where to get the song "Sunny Road To Salina" by Bernard Girard-Christophe that plays over the bootleg trailer for Vol 2? My searches and ITunes turn up nada.
Old 04-28-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
El Paso and Los Angeles are not the same thing.
He didn't say where he sold it. Also, wasn't there conflicting info given about where Budd actually was? Or maybe it was in the script.

EDIT: Oops, I meant "He didn't say where he sold it" not "He did say." Maybe he hocked it while on vacation, or before he moved to El Paso.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 04-28-04 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-28-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by majorjoe23
He did say where he sold it. Also, wasn't there conflicting info given about where Budd actually was? Or maybe it was in the script.
Eh.. I think it runs along the lines of Budd being in Texas and somehow burying The Bride in California somwhere and getting home before morning. (and of course The Bride WALKING back in time to confront Elle.. hehe).
Old 04-28-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll have to watch for it again, but I could've sworn the license plate on Budd's pickup truck is a California one.
Old 04-28-04, 01:16 PM

Budd is in California. This point is muddled, because we assume this hick is living in a trailer in Texas. He says he hocked the sword in El Paso, and we think, "he is in El Paso". And for the record, he flat out states "In El Paso it's (the sword) worth $250" so no, unfortunately a Hanzo, althought that would be cool, didn’t save Marsellus. Also, the truck did have a CA plate, and yes, The Bride couldn't walk back to Texas.

So, recap, Budd lives in a trailer in a desert area of Southern California. He buried The Bride there. He died there. He claimed to have pawned the sword in El Paso, but he indeed did not. WE DO SEE THE HANZO SYMBOL ON THE SWORD. I’m pretty sure of this. The quotation that jough gave us is also flat out 100% proof. I'm sorry man, I know people are ragging on you, but seriously, the sword was made by Hatori Hanzo. See it again and pay real close attention.

Knowing O-Ren's was a Hanzo too is interesting, because I was wondering that myself when I was watching Vol 1 last night. The handle has little flowers and crap on it, I was wondering if Hatori would put shit like that on a sword. Which just made me think, when did Hanzo make that for her? He quit making swords 28 years ago. Perhaps Bill just had cool Hanzo swords laying around to hand out to his minions, but then why does O-Ren get one and not Elle, or Beatrix for that matter? I'm starting to think O-Ren's sword wasn't a Hanzo, but I'll rewatch and maybe look for the symbol.

What do you guys make of this sword business? But once and for all, Budd’s god damn sword is a Hanzo and he is living in Cali. If you still don't believe it, ask youself this, why would the owner of an El Paso strip club ask his bouncer not to wear a cowboy hat? I'm sure that would be some form of Texan Treason.
Old 04-28-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm.. also the strip bar owner was coking up, more proof of California. Thanks for clearing that up, I've only seen it once and I probably associated the pawn shop line with his residence. However, I don't think O-Ren's sword is a Hanzo.. I don't recall ever seeing anything that suggested it would be, (or that it wouldn't be, for that matter).. I must've missed where that was broguth up in this thread.
Old 04-28-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think Oren's was a Hanzo. I got the impression that only Bill and Budd were deemed worthy of a Hanzo and Oren, Elle, and Beatrix were denied the honor of owning one. Thats that Oren called the Bride a liar when she said it was a Hanzo sword and why Elle had to buy one from Budd.

D
Old 04-28-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
O-REN (ENGLISH)
That really was a Hattori Hanzo
sword...

Her sword FALLS from her grip...in the snow by her feet.

O-REN (ENGLISH)
I always dreamed of owning one...

O-Ren FALLS to her knees, toppling forward.
Old 04-28-04, 04:55 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by outcastja

O-REN (ENGLISH)
I always dreamed of owning one...
I guess you dreamed that line, too, because it's not in the film.
Old 04-28-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought when Elle was telling Bill where to leave the flowers if he was feeling sentimental was a cemmentary in Texas...
Old 04-28-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. Line in the script, not in the movie..
Old 04-28-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts
I thought when Elle was telling Bill where to leave the flowers if he was feeling sentimental was a cemmentary in Texas...
Naw, she says "Go to Barstow, California - when you get here, walk into a florest..."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.