Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill: Volume 2 thoughts

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kill Bill: Volume 2 thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-04, 01:48 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sword was a Hanzo sword. Look up a page or so for a script quote from that scene.

The point was that Budd didn't really hock his sword, and that the Bride and Elle were having a Hanzo-on-Hanzo fight.

The Bride didn't take the other sword because she is a killer, not a thief.
Old 04-26-04, 02:01 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by jough
Also, she doesn't need it. She's not out for money and she's been trained to wield one blade. A second would just mess her up.
Old 04-26-04, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well she did use two swords in the house of blue leaves battle.. but that's a seperate issue.

It's a hanzo sword. I don't see why there is a debate about it. It's clear Budd was just trying to play it off to bill like he didn't give a damn.

If Vol 3 is made in 15 years I would imagine that the sword left behind will be what Nikki uses.
Old 04-26-04, 03:11 AM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Well she did use two swords in the house of blue leaves battle.. but that's a seperate issue.
Against many simultaneous opponents in a non-stop fight where she had to move on her feet and not even think. She was just surviving in that fight, she wasn't paying attention to niceties of style.
Old 04-26-04, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Maybe she was a replicant?
Old 04-26-04, 04:30 AM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Maybe she was a replicant?
She could be. That's fine. Just as long as Deckard ISN'T!
Old 04-26-04, 08:55 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Does anyone know the name of the song that is playing when The Bride is punching the board for the first time? It's not on the soundtrack. Thanks.
Old 04-26-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that was an RZA special. Unfortunately the soundtrack doesn't contain those snippets like the Vol. 1 ST did.
Old 04-26-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Something I noticed while watching this film. I noticed that whenever someone says "Ah, so" it sounds exactly the same as how Sho Aikawa's cyborg character says it in Dead Or Alive Final when someone speaks to him in a language that he doesn't understand. Anyone that has seen both films have any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Fandango; 04-26-04 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-26-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,406 Likes on 1,621 Posts
I didn't see Dead or Alive Final, so maybe I'm not really sure what you are getting at. The way that Bill and Beatrix said the line didn't sound particularly unusual to me.
Old 04-26-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I think it's only really apparent if you've seen Dead Or Alive Final, what I was getting at is maybe QT threw in a reference to that film by doing this which I think would be cool as the Dead Or Alive series is one of my favorites.
Old 04-27-04, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts
I don't think it's from Dead or Alive Final (didn't originate at least) as I recall hearing that long ago. Of course, I do have an chinese family, maybe it's kanji I know nothing about.

That said, yes - it was said that way for a purpose, where its from though? I don't know.
Old 04-27-04, 02:25 AM
Banned by request

I've heard the "Ah, so" in other films from before Dead or Alive Final. It's just used a LOT in Dead or Alive Final, so you notice it a lot more.
Old 04-27-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts
http://bustedtees.com/product_info.php?products_id=34 !

Yeah, now I wanna know where I've heard it dammit .
Old 04-27-04, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jough
The sword was a Hanzo sword. Look up a page or so for a script quote from that scene.

The point was that Budd didn't really hock his sword, and that the Bride and Elle were having a Hanzo-on-Hanzo fight.

Well, i'm not convinced... not saying i'm right, but definatly have to see it again.

Main reasoning as said above, she deliberatly turns the inscription away from Elle (Why ?? The only thing she would have to hide is evidence that it is NOT a Hanzo sword since she is trying to convince Elle that it is), plus we never see the Hanzo engraving on the sword itself. (Although on the Tonight Show, David Carradine said Bill's sword was supposed to have a Devil engraving instead of the Dog, but believe it was still a Hanzo).

A Hanzo on Hanzo fight would have been interesting but it never came down to that, only an intial clash... A Hanzo vs non-Hanzo fight has more tension with the main character at a disadvantage, even if it's only the one clash.
Plus scripts change... middle of filming "Hey wouldn't it be better if she thinks she found a Hanzo sword then pulls it out and it has a cheesy inscription on it ?"

Also Budd is very eager to sell the Brides Hanzo after Bill tell's him a Hanzo is priceless, which may mean he actually did sell his cheap but kept a 'lesser' sword from his brother due to sentimentality.

Could be another 'What's in the briefcase ?' thing that your never meant to know for sure.

Last edited by greg9x; 04-27-04 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-27-04, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If it wasn't a hanzo blade it wouldn't have lasted when the blades were going against each other. simple as that. Hanzo sword has been seen to cut through all others with ease.

Budd may not like bill anymore or they have there differences, but he already has a sword and thus, wouldn't want to keep the brides when he can easily sell it to elle for a million.

No, this isn't a "what's in the briefcase" We never assumed what was in it off what qt gave us. He makes us pull it together that the sword is a hanzo sword.

look at the facts:

Bill Gave budd a sword
Bill Gave budd a Hanzo sword
Budd has a sword in his room that was a gift from Bill
simple logic. The sword is the one bill gave him.. which was a hanzo sword.
Old 04-27-04, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by greg9x

Plus scripts change... middle of filming "Hey wouldn't it be better if she thinks she found a Hanzo sword then pulls it out and it has a cheesy inscription on it ?"

Here's an early draft of the script

The BRIDE'S POV:
She watches from a high perch, Budd practicing with a ...
SAMURAI SWORD.

The BRIDE
searching under his bed, she sees a sword on the floor,
resting in a shiny, black wood mahagony sheath. She removes
it from its hiding place.

WOOD SHEATH
Its one of Hanzo's sheaths. She opens it. It is a Hanzo
sword. Near the handle, etched in the steel, are the English
words; "To My Brother Budd, The Only Man I Ever Loved, from
Bill."

She closes the sheath, this will do. She sees a pair of
cowboy boots. Picks one up and places the sole of the boot
against the sole of her foot. Her feet and this man's boot
are around the same size. She slips her dirty feet in them.

She's good to go.

EXT. DESERT

Elle crawls from the wreckage of the Trans Am, holding the
Hanzo sword, looking like she's just been in a car wreck.

A cut on her head makes blood run down the side of her face.
Luckily for her, not the side with the good eye.

The camper door swings open. The Bride emerges from Budd's
home, looking like a Barbie doll that's been dug up after ten
years buried in the backyard, carrying a Hanzo sword. Every
footfall creating a cloud of dust.

The two women, each carrying a samurai sword, face each other
in showdown position.

A shark smile spreads across Elle's face.
Old 04-27-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cue the "Jaws" theme...
Old 04-27-04, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy Christ.. I can't believe this is even being debated.
Old 04-27-04, 09:28 AM

Holy Christ.. I can't believe this is even being debated.
Seriously. I really have to wonder if he just can't put it together, or if he's just doing this to see how much he can get people to argue over an obvious point.

Basically, if Budd sold his Hanzo sword, why would he have bought a replacement, then gotten it engraved?
Old 04-27-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yea this is silly. But also, why would Bill give his brother (the only man he ever loved) anything less than the best?

I'd like to bring up a different point. Bill never knew his father and aquired many father figures. His mother was apparantly a prostitute (I gather Estaban was atleast one of her pimps, could be way off here though). So do Bill and Budd have different fathers? They seem to have a pretty wide age difference, I'd say atleast 10 years. If that's the case then if they have the same father, Bill would probably know him.
Old 04-27-04, 10:59 AM
Banned by request

I don't think Bill and Budd are real brothers, but rather symbolic brothers.
Old 04-27-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think Beatrix is out for revenge, she just couldn't find a job after coming out of a coma and had nothing to do. Hey, when a girl has nothing to do, she usually gets a one-way ticket to Okinawa and convince a sword master maker to come out of retirement to make her a kickass sword just so she can slice and dice. At least it was on the original script.
Old 04-27-04, 11:13 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Just saw it again yesterday. Elle asks the Bride "Is that Budd's Hanzo?" and the Bride nods. Elle then notes that Budd said he pawned it, and the Bride says "I guess that makes him a liar then."

See, he lied about selling the Hanzo. Get it?

I've seen some interesting things debated before, but never something that was EXPLICITLY stated in the film.

Sheesh.
Old 04-27-04, 12:48 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Yeah no kidding. What a stupid debate.

I thought it was extremely obvious that Budd kept his Hanzo sword for sentimental reasons, but he was pissed that Bill kept wanting him to do more assassin stuff, so he told Bill that he pawned it. He knows that telling that to Bill would piss him off and it works.

The movie does nothing to make you think that it isn't a Hanzo sword. If you want to argue that it isn't a Hanzo sword, then you are basically arguing with the movie's script. Thats just dumb.

1. Movie mentions that Budd had/has a Hanzo sword that Bill gave to him.
2. Budd tells Bill that he got rid of the sword for super cheap because he didn't need a sword anymore. It is obvious he is lying to piss off Bill, because he said he pawned it for really cheap. I don't believe for a second that he didn't know it was worth more than that.
3. Budd is willing to sell Uma's Hanzo for a million bucks. Why? Because he already has one!
4. Not much later, Uma finds a sword in Budd's trailer. It is enscribed from Bill. Ding Ding Ding. Why is it not obvious at this point?
5. Uma tells Elle that it is Budd's Hanzo. We have no reason to believe she is lying.
6. Uma kicks butt with it (against her own Hanzo), confirming once again that it is a Hanzo.

It is completely worthless to argue, because the movie makes it extremely obvious.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.