Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill: Volume 2 thoughts

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kill Bill: Volume 2 thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mentioned line was Beatrix bluffing, I thought.

Also in the Blue Leaves scene Beatrix hits many swords that it doesn't cut through.

Bill seemed to care when Budd said he pawned the sword. Bill said the sword was priceless. Why would Bill engrave on a "priceless" sword. Also why would Budd say that he pawned it?
Old 04-24-04, 02:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki
The mentioned line was Beatrix bluffing, I thought.

Also in the Blue Leaves scene Beatrix hits many swords that it doesn't cut through.

Bill seemed to care when Budd said he pawned the sword. Bill said the sword was priceless. Why would Bill engrave on a "priceless" sword. Also why would Budd say that he pawned it?
Budd would say that he pawned it in the conversation with Bill to hurt Bill. They had a falling out and Budd knows the Hanzo swords mean something to him. Also, notice he said he sold it in El Paso. That means it was probably right after the Beatrix job. He's saying it to hurt Bill.

The other reason to say it is to keep your enemy off guard. If he lets people think he's become a soft, tubby titty-club bouncer, they won't be on their guard when they're around him, which makes him more dangerous.

The sword is priceless because it's so powerful. This isn't the equivalent of the Queen's crown jewels here. I can easily see Bill engraving one or asking Hanzo to engrave it.

And considering the way Elle was rushing Beatrix, using the ultimate Hanzo sword, I think a non-Hanzo sword probably would have broken.
Old 04-24-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,038 Likes on 822 Posts
Apparently all Hanzo swords have "engravings" on them, The Bride with her Demon/Dog/Whatever and Budd with his Message from Bill.

Budd probably said he pawned it to piss off Bill, it was pretty obvious, both stated and implied, that they weren't getting along to well, what better way to piss somebody off than say they pawned something totally priceless for a measily $250, it doesn't help that it was a personal gift from Bill.

And no, the bit was:
Elle : "What's that?"
Bea : "Budd's Hanzo Sword."
Elle : "He said he pawned it."
Bea : "Well I guess that makes him a liar, now don't it?"

Plus, what kind of brother would Bill be if he gave Budd anything less than the best
Old 04-24-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bill wasn't Budd's enemy so the whole "keeping your enemy off guard" doesn't really hold up.

Also I highly doubt Hanzo engraved the sword for him. Did he giftwrap it as well?
Old 04-24-04, 02:32 PM
Banned by request

The demon/dog thing isn't an engraving. It's Hanzo's signature. He puts that on every sword.

So maybe Hanzo didn't engrave it, but I don't see why it's out of the realm of possibility that Bill would get it engraved.

And Bill wasn't Budd's enemy but they aren't on good terms anymore. They're not going to kill each other, but Budd at least clearly does not want to be in Bill's company anymore.
Old 04-24-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nobody said Bill was Budd's enemy, they just weren't getting along at the time. That doesn't make them enemies, it makes them "angry at one another".

Hanzo and Bill seemed to have a pretty strong history with one another as well, so I wouldn't doubt that Hanzo would engrave something for Bill, isn't that big of an issue.

I don't know why Ryo is having such a hard time just accepting the damn thing.
Old 04-24-04, 02:34 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by RichC2
I know I know, I edited that out after I read your response a second ago, sheesh gimme a minute to correct things
And I deleted my post as soon as I saw your edit.
Old 04-24-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And dammit I deleted mine as well as soon as I saw you delete yours
Old 04-24-04, 02:41 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, but I quoted yours and I figure I'll let it stay.

To summarize: Hanzo stamps all of his swords with the little dog/demon thing. It's his signature.

Bill may have asked Hanzo to engrave Budd's sword, or he may have gotten it engraved later.

Budd lied to Bill and Elle when he said he pawned his sword.

Ryo is wrong.
Old 04-24-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Says you.
Old 04-24-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm...maybe the Hanzo dog was engraved on the other side of the blade? If you look closely at the scenes where Hanzo hands the sword over (as well as the fight scenes) you will see that only one side has the Hanzo dog.
Old 04-24-04, 05:22 PM
Banned by request

Originally posted by matome
Hmmm...maybe the Hanzo dog was engraved on the other side of the blade? If you look closely at the scenes where Hanzo hands the sword over (as well as the fight scenes) you will see that only one side has the Hanzo dog.
Yes, the stamp is only on one side.
Old 04-24-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Says you.
Ha, don't worry about it. You are wrong. Budd was angry with Bill, that's why he said he pawned it.

Quote from Bill: "You've got to stop being angry with me, and start being afraid of Beatrix." Something along those lines.

Not to mention Uma calls it a Hanzo sword. They make every indication it IS a Hanzo sword, part of the reason that scene is so built up. Now these two ladies are fighting with...TWO Hanzo swords!
Old 04-24-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,574 Posts
Yep, my impressions after my first viewing of the film:

Its a Hanzo sword (why would Bill bother to give and have engraved a sword that was lesser than that)

Budd told Bill that he pawned it just to hurt Bill

The orginal script says its a Hanzo sword. QT changed many things from the original script, but why would he change that?

So in my unofficial opinion, the engraved sword was the Hanzo that Budd said he pawned but really didn't.
Old 04-25-04, 12:32 AM

overall a good conclusion to the Bride's saga
but the following bothered me

Spoiler:
why the hell did B, a top class assasin decide just waltz through the only door on that trailer to kill Bud, it's like she's asking to get shot
and what exactly did she get shot with?
an impact like that should have killed her or at least broken a few bones somewhere
and I just did buy the whole digging out of the grave sequence used a little too much "movie magic"

I was a little dissapointed that there wasn't another huge fight scene but it's understandable

lastly I know Uma did most of her own stunts and trained pretty hard for the fights but in most of that sequence with Gordon Liu her moves looked more comical than deadly
Old 04-25-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
syphon00, try reading the thread.. though it may be sixteen pages.. which leads to ask, why use spoilers? someone gets 16 pages into this they asked for it.

She was shot with Rock Salt. it was said on film. A non-lethal method to take someone down.
Old 04-25-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

but in most of that sequence with Gordon Liu her moves looked more comical than deadly
I think that was on purpose. She, I'm guessing, learned more from Pai Mei than punching through wood and a few pressure points.

For some reason Bea ALWAYS uses the front door - Vernita, House of Blue Leaves, Budd's Trailer 2x, and at Bill's casa. Doesn't fully explain her loss of IQ points but it happens, but shes the confrontational kind.

And yeah, as stated, Rock Salt "I can't imagine how bad that stings."

As for the way she "escapes" I won't say it's the most realistic, though about the only way imaginable and it does make sense - its just one of those "that isn't possible, is it?" scenes. Then again Kill Bill never was the most realistic movie ever made, what with the thousand year old master and arterial bleeds from tiny cuts in the Japanese and the likes there of.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-25-04 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-25-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In Bea's first encounter with Pai Mei, she does move slow and amateurish, but once she trains with him, their synchronized moves later look much tighter and well-disciplined.
Old 04-25-04, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RichC2
I think that was on purpose. She, I'm guessing, learned more from Pai Mei than punching through wood and a few pressure points.
I'm going to disagree. I mean, sure, we can say that she wasn't trained (in comparison to Pai Mei, although she states she's an expert at some sort of martial arts), but what it comes down to was that the moves were slow, clumbsy, unpolished. Did it bother me? Not really. Uma is an actress, not a martial artist. I took that scene (as well as many others) with a grain of salt. For example, in the House of Blue Leaves, Uma appears a bit uncomfortable with the sword for someone who is a top assasin. Again, grain of salt.

Last edited by Corvin; 04-25-04 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-25-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Corvin
I'm going to disagree. I mean, sure, we can say that she wasn't trained (in comparison to Pai Mei, although she states she's an expert at some sort of martial arts), but what it comes down to was that the moves were slow, clumbsy, unpolished. Did it bother me? Not really. Uma is an actress, not a martial artist. I took that scene (as well as many others) with a grain of salt. For example, in the House of Blue Leaves, Uma appears a bit uncomfortable with the sword for someone who is a top assasin. Again, grain of salt.
Oh no, we all know she's no pro. And I think killing by the sword was always more an honor thing than weapon of choice - not positive really. But I think on the Pai Mei scene, in particular, she was worse than usual on purpose - I agree he moves were off but I believe they were supposed to be. Play it back to back with House of Blue Leaves - and while she still looks uncomfortable in HoBL, she looks way less so on the Pai Mei scenes.

No Pro, but the Pai Mei part was still likely intentionally off.
Old 04-25-04, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Question about the music. In the scene where Bill goes to Budd's trailer, you guys happen to know what music is playing?
Old 04-25-04, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Saw it Friday afternoon. Pretty good, but not great. The fight with Elle was absolutely marvelous though. I have no idea why anyone would think that Budd's sword wasn't a Hanzo sword. While i hoped the ending would have a big fight, i thought the way it ended was appropriate for the story. I stand by my comments in the other thread pre-watching it that it isn't anything that deserves an Oscar nod, although i enjoyed Carrdaine quite a bit.
Old 04-25-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts
Saw it the other day. Really great. Overall really enjoyable, the fight between Elle/The Bride was great too. I was glad, that the 2nd half of the movie wasn't fight heavy, that it relied more on the background story and a lot of solid dialogue. The ending kind of surprised me, as I was expecting something else, but overall I really enjoyed it, and can't wait for this on DVD. I should've stayed way after the credits, I heard somewhere that there were bloopers?
Old 04-25-04, 04:22 PM
Banned by request

At the very end of the credits you see a take from the Crazy 88 fight where Beatrix pulls out the guy's eye. QT calls cut and Uma says something like, "Can't we do that again? It's so much fun!"
Old 04-25-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
I have no idea why anyone would think that Budd's sword wasn't a Hanzo sword.
Realize this is getting a bit over debated but I belive it wasn't a Hanzo sword.... notice how when Elle ask if it is a Hanzo sword The Bride turns the engraved side away so Elle can't see it and let her know it wasn't a Hanzo sword. The Bride also seems very nervous before the charge, because I belive she is concerned the sword won't hold up against the real Hanzo sword.. it does luckily but she resorts to the eye thing because she doesn't believe it will continue to hold up. Plus, didn't she only take the one sword when she left ?? Think she would have taken both if they were both Hanzo's.
Could be wrong but that's what I got from it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.