Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kevin Smith to Fans: "can some of you reign it in this week?"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Kevin Smith to Fans: "can some of you reign it in this week?"

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 402 Likes on 285 Posts
[post deleted by k.smith]
Old 03-24-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
You people are harsh. He is just asking the bashers to wait until AFTER they actually see the movie(i.e. the weekend) to bash it. And I don't think he is saying it will bomb in any shape or form. None of his movies have ever been top 10 B.O. material. He is just reiterating that this one will be no different so there really is no need for the excessive bashing.
I agree. And considering how many "Kevin Smith fans" may be let down by the movie, he's just telling them to backoff for a bit. No big deal, personally i dont care, he can do what he wants.
Old 03-24-04, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"if you're not gonna say something nice, don't say anything at all... 'less you're looking to get banned."

Though I'm sure Kevin won't mind if you want to piss on someone else's movie....
Old 03-24-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 321 Likes on 205 Posts
Banky: Stop the movie? What are you, crazy?
Jay: All these *******s on the internet are calling us names because of this stupid ****ing movie.
Banky: That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously. Stopping the flick isn't gonna stop that.
[typing a message on an internet chat room]
Jay: All you ************s are gonna pay. You are the ones who are the ball-lickers. We're gonna **** your mothers while you watch and cry like little bitches. Once we get to Hollywood and find those Miramax ****s who are making that movie, we're gonna make 'em eat our shit, then shit out our shit, then eat their shit which is made up of our shit that we made 'em eat. Then you're all you mother****s are next. Love, Jay and Silent Bob.
--Kevin Smith
Old 03-24-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm disappointed by this action, and I'm sure he regrets it already.

Have any of you been to the VA web board? It's a pigsty. Ten or eleven regular posters that have decency and intelligence, and ten thousand idiots. While I understand his action, I don't think he's doing himself any favors by expressing this wish. It won't have any effect, and it makes him look whiny to non-fans.
Old 03-24-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree this makes him look a little whiny, but I think he is right to fear the "indie crowd" who will be pissed off at a lack of in-jokes and an overabundance of feel-good movie. He's probably just trying to stem any hopes of fans that the movie will open big.

DonnachaOne - I totally agree about the VA web board; I tried becoming a regular poster there and I just couldn't deal with the idiocy floating around there.
Old 03-24-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts
Like the way he makes it clear that his movie will most likely get beaten by everything else out at the time.
Old 03-24-04, 12:28 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I can see why Smith is acting this way. Fanboys show no mercy, and without snowball references, rubber poop monsters, and Jay, they might revolt.

JERSEY GIRL is a wonderful, warm, very sentimental movie. Smith's voice is intact in the film, but no "snoogans." That could upset the mall punks.

I don't blame him for asking the "fans" to cool it. Frankly, I wish more directors took the initiative to speak directly to their fanbase.
Old 03-24-04, 01:47 PM

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-03-24
Old 03-24-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 270 Posts
"I would especially never see anything written by Kevin Smith!"
Old 03-24-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Kevin seems a little worried that he may have made a movie too sappy for his hardcore "Jay & Silent Bob" fans, and not appealing enough to the rest of America.
Dead on . . .

I saw Jersey Girl last night at a sneak preview and it is definately not the typical Kevin Smith kind of movie, but it does have a lot of Kevin Smith "flavor" to it. As such, it will be, likely, too sentimental and soft for fans of the View Askew universe, but, at the same time, possibly too "blue" for those who are fans of sentimental films.

Personally, I enjoyed it. I think it will take at least another viewing before I decide whether or not to add it to my collection, but I'm glad that I saw it.

As for KS's comments, having seen the movie, I think I understand where he is coming from and, personally I kind of respect him standing up for and being honest about himself and his work.

Maybe George Lucas needs to stop by and whip a few people into shape.
Old 03-24-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts
I agree with the GL statement. Rather than address the fans, he just blows them off like nothing ever happened.
Old 03-24-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 274 Posts
Watching the trailer for this created, just by itself, way too much negative buzz for me.
Old 03-24-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont get the notion that everyone has to love the movie if you're a fan of his other work, hey, some great directors make bad movies.
Old 03-24-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
You people are harsh. He is just asking the bashers to wait until AFTER they actually see the movie(i.e. the weekend) to bash it. And I don't think he is saying it will bomb in any shape or form. None of his movies have ever been top 10 B.O. material. He is just reiterating that this one will be no different so there really is no need for the excessive bashing.
Actually, he is asking more than that. He is asking that they don't express their opinion on it (if negative) until after the weekend is OVER, regardless. So if you see it Friday night, as many hardcore Smith fans would, and you don't like it you should keep your trap shut until Monday. He doesn't want the bad word of mouth to hurt it's opening weekend. To request that is one thing, but to threaten banning if you speak up is another, and it reeks of desperation.
Old 03-24-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 321 Likes on 205 Posts
This reeks of Chris Jericho's anti-message-board tantrum from about a year ago

But about Smith, it didn't seem to me that he was asking for a holdoff of movie criticism--he mention Kilbourn and his appearance on "Yes Dear"--maybe he just wants people to stop being critics of the promo interviews themselves. He also mentions Rotten Tomato, which means he doesn't want people criticising others' criticism.

Comments about movie > Comments about promo interviews and others' comments

Last edited by GuessWho; 03-24-04 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-24-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts
Unfortunately it's a foregone conclusion that between the competition, bad buzz and the whole Bennifer thing, this ain't gonna do that well. I'm waiting for the DVD myself.
Old 03-24-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Wow, he's pretty much admitting that the film sucks and is going to bomb at the box office.
I think its in response to the early reviews posted at Rotten Tomatoes (currently at 21%).
Old 03-24-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Chasing Amy is worse than Mallrats?
Personally, I don't think it is necessarily worse. But I enjoy Mallrats more. Chasing Amy is my least favorite View Askew flick, and I know I'm in the minority.
Old 03-24-04, 07:20 PM

Donnacha, I totally agree with you man. It's one of the many reasons I don't find the time to post on the board anymore.

I used to spend all of my time there foolishly attempting to regulate all the idiots who would show up, but it's like trying to breathe water... and also not be a fish.

Anyway, the point is he isn't asking for an eternal silence and the dude is usually more than willing to put up with endless critiques and take it in stride.

He isn't saying that he doesn't want to hear what we think, but he's saying that given that we are the fans and he gets enough crap from people in the media who are only out to bring up Lopez who is in the film for 10 minutes... well let's not getting in both ends basically.

For his part he also asked that all positive stuff be cut off in the meantime too, so it's not like he's asking for all good no bad, he just said let's keep it all quiet until we know for sure.

I mean, these are the same idiots (general view askew forum members) who showed up in 2002 to talk about how shitty the movie was going to be simply because Lopez was cast.

Never having seen it or anything, they were ready to write it off based on one cast member.

I think that says a lot about what he's up against when he already has to fight through ten questions per interview about a relationship he wasn't in (bennifer) and a movie he didn't make (Gigli). Then to come to his own message board full of fans and getting to hear about how great or shitty his movie is days before it's even been released.

I think the guy is golden and has a great sense of humor about himself and so on, but one of the things I love about him is that he always feels human, and I know I don't want to have a bad day and then come home and have my friends recap how bad my day was as if it was a TV show.
Old 03-24-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why not just shut down the board for the weekend???

Friggin' whiner!
Old 03-24-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would you like some cheese with that..

Sorry someone had to say it.
Old 03-24-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds a little like a whiny little B&$%! Which is funny since his humor is all over people like that. Kind of like high brow low brow. I'm actually surprised by those comments even those it was on his own boards because with the negative press over the film and the 'Bennifer' situation I would think he would want to Reign(haha) in the situation. He knows he has a lot of detractors and I would think those comments would add fuel to the fire and it probably did seeing some of the comments on this board even though were a friendly bunch
Old 03-24-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by S Kilpatrick
I mean, these are the same idiots (general view askew forum members) who showed up in 2002 to talk about how shitty the movie was going to be simply because Lopez was cast.
I see nothing wrong with this logic...
Old 03-24-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I were him i'd gotten busy making another small film right after figuring out that jersey girl wasn't up to snuff and the whole backlash thing against J & B.
Something small and funny and without the hassle of big actors reputations to screw it up. sort of like make up sex for his audience. sometimes make up sex is best.

Or, not let my sentiments about family life get the best of me and make a picture that audience wants and expects of me.

Or, have a vision and stick to that vision no matter what and owning up to it till death do you part come rain or shine.

Or, just eat some marshmallow orange circus peanuts.
I really like those.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.