Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spartan -- D: Mamet -- S: Kilmer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spartan -- D: Mamet -- S: Kilmer

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JParks94563
At the end of the movie as I recall, the person Val's character is with says lets go home and it cuts to an over shot of London. Why would he be protected by a friendly gov. like the UK if he hadn't been working for them all along. I very much could be wrong...
You are very much wrong. I think you should watch the end of the movie again. The British guy watching the TVs with Kilmer says "Time to go home," and Kilmer responds with "Lucky man." The whole point of the that scene at the end of the movie is that Kilmer's character can't go home again, even though he did the right thing by going after the girl and getting her back. The ending you are suggesting is completely ridiculous, and has nothing to do with what happened in the rest of the movie.

(And if you are talking about Kilmer with the Hispanic girl at the airport scene at the end, she says "We got the girl back, and Kilmer responds with "Yeah, she just took the long way home.")

As for being "protected by a friendly government," you are thinking too hard. You don't think that with his skills, Kilmer could create a new identity for himself and not be found? That's the way I took it, and it seems to jibe with the rest of the movie. The whole spying for another country thing you are suggesting doesn't fit at all with what happens in this movie.
Old 03-26-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't really care for "Spartan." And I really like "Glengarry Glenross" and "State and Main."

I think he lost me after one of the main characters gets killed. I can't explain what bothered me about this movie.
Old 03-26-05, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FinkPish, you are right, I rewatched the movie, hadn't seen it for months, must have mixed it up with another movie I saw. My apologies.
Old 03-27-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
"Now your arm's broken."
Old 03-27-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"You've got to set your motherfucker to recieve."
Old 03-27-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This was one of my worst blind buys ever. Luckily I bought it used at Hollywood Video during one of their 3 for $25 sales, then traded it into BBV during their $8 promotion.
Old 07-30-12, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Spartan -- D: Mamet -- S: Kilmer

Spartan is still really good. When you watch it you feel propelled. Even though you know how everything's going to turn out after watching it once, it feels fresh seeing everything from Scott's perspective as the plot unfurls. What a great film.
Old 07-30-12, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 677 Likes on 526 Posts

I remember really liking his flick. One of the best rentals I ever watched. I'd like to get this on BD if available.
Old 07-30-12, 09:46 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,238 Likes on 878 Posts

I love this film. I re-watched it sometime last year, and it still held up pretty well.
I always forget that
Spoiler:
Kristen Bell plays the daughter. I never recognize her in the pictures... only when you finally see her.