Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best film directed by Pedro Almodovar

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which is best?
Law of Desire (1987)
2.63%
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988)
10.53%
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (1990)
13.16%
High Heels (1991)
0%
Kika (1993)
0%
Live Flesh (1997)
5.26%
All About My Mother (1999)
23.68%
Talk to Her (2002)
28.95%
Bad Education (2004)
0%
Other
15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Best film directed by Pedro Almodovar

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-04, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
best/favorite Pedro Almodovar movie

Which is your best/ favorite?
Old 11-25-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have to admit to not seeing any. Frankly, I do not have any interest to because I haven't heard any good things about his movies. Maybe this thread will change that though.
Old 11-25-04, 06:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
talk to her, but i havent seen much. whats the one with the nuns doing drugs? i wanted to see that

cant wait for bad education. my friend saw it on a plane and said it was amazing.
Old 11-25-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Have to admit to not seeing any. Frankly, I do not have any interest to because I haven't heard any good things about his movies. Maybe this thread will change that though.
That's funny to me because I was just thinking the other day how Almodavor is on a very short list of directors where I'll watch whatever they do.
Old 11-25-04, 09:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

his movies are great. hes a very smart and well rounded man. i saw him speak before. his movies are serious but hes got a dynamite sense of humor. talk to her was like no movie ive ever seen. if you like your movies left of center, you must see it. im surpised you haven't heard good stuff about him. critics literally line up the street waiting to suck his cock before the release of his next film
Old 11-25-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I've always meant to rent his films - maybe one of these days I will get around to doing so.
Old 11-26-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am ashamed to say that I have never seen an Almodovar movie.
Old 11-26-04, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If I didn't see that last sentence, I would have claimed you a crapper , but hopefully comments from users who have seen his films can change your mind.

You are missing some of the most beautiful film experiences ever!

----------------------

Best & Favorite : Talk To Her

I cannot praise this film enough! The performance from Javier Cámara will break your heart (even if you don't like what he did) and Darío Grandinetti turns in a beautiful performance where he cries a lot in the film . When this is done in a lot of films it really turns me off, but his skills as an actor along with the script are an exception.

This film has so many great scenes. A "silent film" scene is probably the most remembered, but I love when Marco (Grandinetti) is at the house party listening to Caetano Veloso play his beautiful music and the matador scene is so beautifully filmed.

Okay. I am going to go and watch the film again. A shame that Spain did not submit this film for the Academy Award (it surely would have won).

Of course All About My Mother and Women On The Verge of A Nervous Breakdown are both excellent.

Last edited by conscience; 11-26-04 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-26-04, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Although Almodovar is an excellent director and so are most of his movies (come on people there are some stinkers out there), his movies are an acquired taste and I wouldn't recommended to everyone.

My favorite is Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, my first Almodovar movie and still favorite.

I have yet to see Talk to Her and the new one Bad Education.
Old 11-27-04, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Talk to Her continues to get better with every viewing.

Also, too bad most people won't get a chance to Bernal in
Bad Education, now that the MPAA refused to lower the
NC-17 rating it gave out.
Old 11-27-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's always dvd (and a long wait time), but F theatres and the MPAA.
Old 11-27-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

....o, boy....Have you heard about the Oscars?....Cannes, Venice, Locarno, Goya, Moscow, San Sebastian, Film Festivals...

Pro-B
Old 11-27-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
....o, boy....Have you heard about the Oscars?....Cannes, Venice, Locarno, Goya, Moscow, San Sebastian, Film Festivals...

Pro-B

I saw that the other day and sort of laughed.

I mean his films are critically acclaimed by so many critics around the world. Pop must have been talking about his friends not saying good things...
Old 11-27-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I went off the board and voted other.
Though I loved some of the films listed, Matador, I thought
was incredible. Law of Desire was great too, and an eye
opener for someone who had never seen one of his films
at the time, and thinking "oh cool, it has antonio banderas!"
Really good though.
Old 11-27-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Talk to her of the 3 I've seen - All About My Mother and Women on the Verge.
Old 11-27-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist

Pro-B
Of course. I'm also well aware of Ingmar Bergman, Akira Kurosawa, Patrice Leconte, Francois Truffaut and Jean-Luc Godard. Its not that I haven't heard of him, its that I haven't read many praises of his films. Much to my disappointment Talk to Her won Best Original Screenplay. Despite how good the screenplay might have been it was a Foreign Film that stole the Oscar. Anyhow, I'll probably check out Talk to Her eventually.
Old 11-27-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Of course. I'm also well aware of Ingmar Bergman, Akira Kurosawa, Patrice Leconte, Francois Truffaut and Jean-Luc Godard. Its not that I haven't heard of him, its that I haven't read many praises of his films.
What do those names have to do with the Awards and Festivals pro-bassoonist mentioned?

Much to my disappointment Talk to Her won Best Original Screenplay. Despite how good the screenplay might have been it was a Foreign Film that stole the Oscar.
That has to be one of the craziest things I have ever heard!

So Talk To Her should not have won the Screenplay Oscar because it was in a foreign language? Therefore it stole it?

The screenplay contained words just like the other three American nominees, they were just in Spanish.

Trust me, many American films wish they could have an excellent screenplay like this film did.
Old 11-27-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by conscience
What do those names have to do with the Awards and Festivals pro-bassoonist mentioned?

That has to be one of the craziest things I have ever heard!

So Talk To Her should not have won the Screenplay Oscar because it was in a foreign language? Therefore it stole it?

The screenplay contained words just like the other three American nominees, they were just in Spanish.

Trust me, many American films wish they could have an excellent screenplay like this film did.
I believe he was trying to point out things I was unfamiliar with. Yes I've heard of film festivals and award ceremonies. And admittedly I have not seen Talk To Her, and maybe its Oscar was well-deserving but I always favor Oscars going to American films because it is American award show.
Old 11-27-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe he was trying to point out things I was unfamiliar with. Yes I've heard of film festivals and award ceremonies. And admittedly I have not seen Talk To Her, and maybe its Oscar was well-deserving but I always favor Oscars going to American films because it is American award show.
The point pro was making was the connection between Almodovar and several major awards shows and festivals that give him the deserved recognition. We all appreciate your knowledge of other great filmmakers, but that is a moot point in this conversation.

An American Award show? Count how many British people alone that have won Oscars and how many films have won Oscars that were made outside of the United States (Lord of the Rings ROTK being the most recent). This is not just an American Awards show.
Old 11-27-04, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally posted by conscience
An American Award show? Count how many British people alone that have won Oscars and how many films have won Oscars that were made outside of the United States (Lord of the Rings ROTK being the most recent). This is not just an American Awards show.
I would place a large bet that most outside of the US think it is.

Anyway, Talk to Her would be the best of the ones I have seen (others I have seen: All About My Mother, High Heels, and Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down). None of them really were much to talk about, though, IMO.
Old 11-27-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by The Cow
I would place a large bet that most outside of the US think it is.
Well duh. Just like we (as Americans) think the BAFTAS are just a British awards show, but it isn't.
Old 11-27-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Where a movie is made is not the criteria for whether or not it is foreign. Despite the differences of nationalities between different actors, directors and crew members, the award show is American. Hence, the Foreign Language category and the absence of many great films in the Best Picture category.

I have not heard many good things about Almodovar's films on DVDTalk nor other sites. While my friends are, no doubt fans of movies, their tastes range from ok to terrible.
Old 11-27-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
All About My Mother is the one I liked the best. I haven't seen Bad Education, but I've seen most of the others. All are really good, except maybe Kika (I'm not sure about Kika, I only saw it when it first came out and I remember thinking it was kind of dumb but I might get more out of it now).

I have not heard many good things about Almodovar's films on DVDTalk nor other sites.
Have you heard bad things, or just nothing at all? Because I've never heard of anyone (well, other than Cow above) who's actually seen his movies that didn't like them.
Old 11-27-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where a movie is made is not the criteria for whether or not it is foreign. Despite the differences of nationalities between different actors, directors and crew members, the award show is American. Hence, the Foreign Language category and the absence of many great films in the Best Picture category.
Yes, the show is "American" in the sense that it is hosted by lame and/or over the hill American comedians and is broadcast from an "American" city.

No, the show is not "American" in its presentation of Awards to winners. As there is no rule stating that foreign films do not have the right to compete in competitive categories.

I guess if we are going by your "rules", we will have to take away the Oscars from Sophia Loren, all the awards for Life Is Beautiful, and even those numerous competitive Oscars given to those Bergman films you love so much!

Old 11-27-04, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally posted by Ginwen
Have you heard bad things, or just nothing at all? Because I've never heard of anyone (well, other than Cow above) who's actually seen his movies that didn't like them.
Note: I didn't hate them. They definitely are worthy of being checked out. They are not bad, just not my taste for repeated viewings.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.