Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,485 Likes on 913 Posts
So did they combine anything from the other books in with the movie Lion, Witch & Wardrobe or is it all from that story alone?
Old 12-12-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by necros
The story though, to me, while it was good, it just seemed to move too fast. It's almost like the first half or at least 1/3 of the movie is them finding their way to the wardrobe and then the next thing ya know it's like 2 days later and the 16 year old kid is leading an army of fawns and centaurs that he didn't even know 15 minutes ago. There was no real backstory or character development for most of the narnia characters, like Aslan for instance, he's this big lion that the kids love even though they've only known him for what seemed like a day or 2 tops and had maybe a 5 minute conversation with. Then there was that big centaur leader guy who seemed like an important character, but he had maybe 2 lines, a few smiles and bows and that was pretty much it.

After I saw the movie, this was pretty much my take as well. I had bought the hardcover Chronicles a month ago, but I hadn't read it. I went back and read "The Magician's Nephew", which is the book Lewis wanted to be read first in the series, and that really explained a lot---the creation of Narnia and the talking animals, how the witch got there, the significance of the lamppost, why the wardrobe opened up to Narnia, etc. So, I was able to forgive most of the lack of these details in the movie, as I assume they'll all be dealt with fully in a future film---and I think The Magician's Nephew would make an awesome movie. Does anyone know if that's the one they plan to do next?
Old 12-12-05, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw it today. I thought it was great. I hope it continues to do well while in competiton with King Kong. I will pick this up on dvd when it comes out next year.
Old 12-13-05, 11:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
this is just a techical comment/gripe I just learned about this and it kind of pisses me off, apparently the DLP presentations of the film are a Technicolor Qualcomm's (server type) 'exclusive'. From my understanding all the DLP's with Boeing's system were left out of the deal.
Old 12-13-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
After I saw the movie, this was pretty much my take as well. I had bought the hardcover Chronicles a month ago, but I hadn't read it. I went back and read "The Magician's Nephew", which is the book Lewis wanted to be read first in the series, and that really explained a lot---the creation of Narnia and the talking animals, how the witch got there, the significance of the lamppost, why the wardrobe opened up to Narnia, etc. So, I was able to forgive most of the lack of these details in the movie, as I assume they'll all be dealt with fully in a future film---and I think The Magician's Nephew would make an awesome movie. Does anyone know if that's the one they plan to do next?
I thought I had seen some where that Lewis did NOT want the Magican's nephew to be first. It's a prequel and reading it first takes away some of the mystery and wonder that is TLTW&TW
Old 12-13-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 668 Likes on 464 Posts
Originally Posted by squidget
I thought I had seen some where that Lewis did NOT want the Magican's nephew to be first. It's a prequel and reading it first takes away some of the mystery and wonder that is TLTW&TW
It's complicated. Lewis himself never re-ordered the books, it happened after his death. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Narnia :
The first American publisher, Macmillan, put numbers on the books and used the publication order. When HarperCollins took over the series, the books were renumbered using the internal chronological order, as suggested by Lewis' stepson, Douglas Gresham......

Gresham quoted Lewis' reply to a letter from an American fan in 1957, who was having an argument with his mother about the order:

"I think I agree with your order (i.e. chronological) for reading the books more than with your mother's. The series was not planned beforehand as she thinks. When I wrote The Lion I did not know I was going to write any more. Then I wrote P. Caspian as a sequel and still didn't think there would be any more, and when I had done The Voyage I felt quite sure it would be the last. But I found as I was wrong. So perhaps it does not matter very much in which order anyone read them. I'm not even sure that all the others were written in the same order in which they were published." (Dorsett & Mead 1996)
Nevertheless, many fans of the series who appreciate the original order, which introduces important parts of the Narnia universe in the early part of the series and then provides explanation for them later in the prequels, in particular the creation story in The Magician's Nephew, take offense with the reordering. Other arguments for the publication order include that Prince Caspian is subtitled "The Return to Narnia", and that the following fragments of text from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe support it as being the first book in the series:

"None of the children knew who Aslan was, any more than you do."

"That is the very end of the adventure of the wardrobe. But if the Professor was right, it was only the beginning of the adventures of Narnia."

Another argument cited by proponents of the original order is that if the series is first read in the chronological order, the reader can never experience the original order without the knowledge of the prequels. On the other hand, the chronological order can still be enjoyed after first reading the original order.
Old 12-13-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Saw this film on Sunday. We both walked out after an hour or so of insufferable drivel.

What an absolutely atrocious pile of crap. There is no joy in this film at all, no life, no sense of wonder, nothing.

I know that it was supposed to get better toward the end but frankly by that point we didn't care. What a relief to leave the theater, it was like getting out of suspension early or something.

This film should have cost like 2 million to make, I heard the budget was double of FOTR. Insane. Obviously some serious raping going on there. Guess I am in the wrong line of work...

Not recommended. Better to watch paint dry or something else more exciting.
Old 12-14-05, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
Saw this film on Sunday. We both walked out after an hour or so of insufferable drivel.

What an absolutely atrocious pile of crap. There is no joy in this film at all, no life, no sense of wonder, nothing.

I know that it was supposed to get better toward the end but frankly by that point we didn't care. What a relief to leave the theater, it was like getting out of suspension early or something.

This film should have cost like 2 million to make, I heard the budget was double of FOTR. Insane. Obviously some serious raping going on there. Guess I am in the wrong line of work...

you walked out - an hour into it - there was an additional hour and twenty minutes of it -
Old 12-14-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by porieux

Wow, I'd hate to hear your reaction to the idea of attending church, seeing as someone compared it in another thread...
Old 12-14-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
you walked out - an hour into it - there was an additional hour and twenty minutes of it -
Which was an hour and twenty minutes of time he didn't spend watching a movie has wasn't enjoying.

Honestly, I enjoyed the film, but if he didn't like the first hour, I don't think the last hour twenty would've salvaged the film for him.
Old 12-14-05, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Which was an hour and twenty minutes of time he didn't spend watching a movie has wasn't enjoying.

Honestly, I enjoyed the film, but if he didn't like the first hour, I don't think the last hour twenty would've salvaged the film for him.
yeah, but by making the generalization that the whole film was an "absolutely atrocious pile of crap" when he didn't stay around to watch it in it's entirety isn't fair and lacking on his part.
Old 12-14-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, but by making the generalization that the whole film was an "absolutely atrocious pile of crap" when he didn't stay around to watch it in it's entirety isn't fair and lacking on his part.
I dunno, can you give an example of a film where the first hour wasn't a good indicator of the film as a whole?
Old 12-14-05, 10:34 PM

the new 'King Kong'
Old 12-14-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the new 'King Kong'
I haven't seen it yet, but does the filmic language used in the film really take that dynamic of a shift? I mean, in Narnia, sure the last 1 1/2 hours are more action packed than the first hour, but I think the first hour sets up the "flavor" of the film very well. If the characters or story hasn't grabbed you in the first hour or so, you're not going to have the investment in the characters or story to care about how it plays out, big action scenes or no.
Old 12-15-05, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not really a spoiler, just discussion about a couple of characters...
Spoiler:
Anybody else get a pedophile vibe from Mr. Thomnas and the White Queen?

Last edited by SuprVgeta; 12-15-05 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-15-05, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuprVgeta
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Only in the sense that both were initially falsly charming and offered food or sweets to lure the children back to their homes, for ulterior motives. I didn't get any vibe of sexual attraction to the children from either though.
Old 12-16-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A good movie, but would rate it below King Kong which I also saw this week... as others said, a little bit more story on the kids recieving training and preparing for the battle (don't know if that was in the books) would have been nice... CGI was a bit too obvious in some scenes.. but overall a very enjoyable movie.
Old 12-16-05, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by greg9x
A good movie, but would rate it below King Kong which I also saw this week... as others said, a little bit more story on the kids recieving training and preparing for the battle (don't know if that was in the books) would have been nice... CGI was a bit too obvious in some scenes.. but overall a very enjoyable movie.
I would agree with almost everything greg9x said, except for rating it below King Kong. Only because I haven't seen King Kong yet. I did enjoy Tilda Swinton as the Witch.
Old 12-16-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
I dunno, can you give an example of a film where the first hour wasn't a good indicator of the film as a whole?
From Dusk 'Til Dawn.
Old 12-16-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My two cents:

I enjoyed the movie, and thought it very well done. A few quibbles:

For a story which ultimately revolves upon "blood," and how the Witch has the right to a traitor's blood, etc., the sticky red substance was conspicuously absent visually. I know it's a family film and there are strict guidelines and so forth, but not a drop anywhere? Not even at the Stone Table? More blood, please.

We didn't get to know Aslan before he died. His death did not have the same emotional impact it has in the book, because it was difficult to care about him as a character. So much of Aslan's mystique in the book is created the way Lewis describes him and the other characters' reactions to him. This was largely missing from the film.

Finally, none of the children seemed to fully understand that Aslan actually went to die in Edmund's stead. None of them comprehended what actually occurred at the Stone Table. Even Susan, as she mourns over Aslan's body, can only muse in bewilderment, "He must have known what he was doing." I kept waiting for the realization to dawn upon them. I thought for sure that at least Edmund would get it. Nope.

All that said, very good movie.
Old 12-16-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SuprVgeta
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It's a sad state of affairs when you can't plot to kidnap and murder kids without being accused of being a pedophile.
Old 12-16-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
From Dusk 'Til Dawn.
Good call, although that just barely makes it, the first vampire appears at 1 hour 1 minute into the film.
Old 12-18-05, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by MadameTourvel
I enjoyed the movie, and thought it very well done. A few quibbles:

For a story which ultimately revolves upon "blood," and how the Witch has the right to a traitor's blood, etc., the sticky red substance was conspicuously absent visually. I know it's a family film and there are strict guidelines and so forth, but not a drop anywhere? Not even at the Stone Table? More blood, please.

We didn't get to know Aslan before he died. His death did not have the same emotional impact it has in the book, because it was difficult to care about him as a character. So much of Aslan's mystique in the book is created the way Lewis describes him and the other characters' reactions to him. This was largely missing from the film.

Finally, none of the children seemed to fully understand that Aslan actually went to die in Edmund's stead. None of them comprehended what actually occurred at the Stone Table. Even Susan, as she mourns over Aslan's body, can only muse in bewilderment, "He must have known what he was doing." I kept waiting for the realization to dawn upon them. I thought for sure that at least Edmund would get it. Nope.

All that said, very good movie.
When was this specifically dismissed as a spoiler thread "only for those who already seen the movie". .

MARK YOUR SPOILERS!!!

Thanks alot BTW.
Old 12-18-05, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seven pages into a thread about an old childerns book? wow.
Old 12-18-05, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 967 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by necros
The story though, to me, while it was good, it just seemed to move too fast. It's almost like the first half or at least 1/3 of the movie is them finding their way to the wardrobe and then the next thing ya know it's like 2 days later and the 16 year old kid is leading an army of fawns and centaurs that he didn't even know 15 minutes ago.
They trek across country. Hardly two days. I didn't feel rushed a bit. Only for a brief moment when the wolves first started after them at the Beavers' house, but rationale becomes, oh someone is trying to kill us, maybe this something to prophecy thing.

Originally Posted by Patman
It would seem the children just accept their prophetic destiny and almost overnight become capable of waging Braveheart-like battle (at least for Peter, the oldest).
That was the beauty of it, to me. Susan wasn't perfect with her bow despite it being magical, and Peter was very clumsy with the sword. Weilded it well enough to not get killed, but not well enough to wage a William Wallce like attack. Just the way he held it showed his inexperience. Only Lucy was spot on with her dagger.

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I wasn't so much let down by the pacing or the effects, but the casting nearly killed the movie. The child actors were awful.
Wow. I thought they were perfectly cast, and acted great. The whole cast seemed like a perfect fit. The kids as well as the White Witch and Tumnus were exactly like I had imagined from the book.

Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
I COMPLETELY disagree that the child actors were miscast. I liked how none of them were big name actors, and I really did like Lucy, as did the people I saw the film with.
Same here. she is a 5 year old, dealing with an adult situation. She is still going to act like a 5 year old. It's like those complaining about Dakota Fanning screaming and being scared in WOTW while their is an alien invasion going on. It's like they are kids, that is how they act in unsure situations.

Originally Posted by MadameTourvel

This was my only real beef with the film. The relationship with Aslan seemed glossed over. And Susan & Lucy weeping at the stone table rang hollow to me. You hardly knew the guy.

---------
To me the best thing about the movie was the translation of the book. Rarely does a book make it to screen intact, but this one succeeded. When I read the book I had vivid pictures of every element Lewis was describing. It was amazing to think that someone else came away with the EXACT same imagery as I. The movie was like someone had read my mind and put those images on screen. That says a lot about C.S. Lewis' writing style.

One question though, my memory is fuzzy. Was "Santa" in the novel, or was he referred to as Father Christmas? For some reason my mind is leaning toward the latter.

And count me as one wanting more. An extended DVD and future films of the series. This movie was top notch entertainment.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.