Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Old 12-09-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could barely stay awake through the first two acts. They really needed to pick up the pace. The last act was good.

Strange how some Christian groups accept this fantasy film about good versus evil but, simliar movies/books like the Harry Potter series are considered blasphemy.
Old 12-09-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by edstein
I could barely stay awake through the first two acts. They really needed to pick up the pace. The last act was good.

Strange how some Christian groups accept this fantasy film about good versus evil but, simliar movies/books like the Harry Potter series are considered blasphemy.
Not all Christian groups are against Harry Potter. Don't assume because one camp is making a sound that all camps are.

I really enjoyed the movie, in spite of some of the digital effects just being pretty weak, but I didn't care because I really liked the story.

So what book in the Narnia series do we see these kids again?
Old 12-10-05, 12:59 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
Little Lucy was one of the most annoying onscreen children in any movie in recent memory
I agree 100%: the movie overal was very enjoyable - better than HP (I'm not a big HP fan anyway) but nowhere near LOTR. But Little Lucy was really, really annoying with her fake smile during the whole movie...
Old 12-10-05, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Did anyone else besides me think the White Witch's henchman dwarf was Deep Roy? Those two guys could be brothers!
Old 12-10-05, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
So what book in the Narnia series do we see these kids again?
The four kids show up again in Prince Caspian.
Edmund and Lucy in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
They appear in The Horse and His Boy as adults b/c the story takes place during their reign in TLTHATW.
3 out of the 4 appear once more in the Last Battle.
Old 12-10-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My question is ... is little Lucy more annoying in this film, or in the BBC version. Ugh, I haven't seen that BBC version in 15 year, and I still cringe.

As for Edmund coming off as a prick ... well ... isn't that the point? I think you'll find that most of the characters are fairly flat.
Old 12-10-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with the Deep Roy comment! Definitely a ringer for him. I'll give you that Edmund is supposed to be a bit of a prick, but it's because he feels like he never gets the attention he deserves, is always overshadowed by his siblings and he's just trying to break away... but I didn't get any of that from the movie...sure even in the book many characters are flat, but I thought the movie could have fleshed them out a bit for our sake...

Thinking more about the movie, I suppose I liked it more than I initally did...my main problem comes in knowing that it could have been a CLASSIC if they had tweaked the script to add a bit more depth (sure, the movie would have been 3hrs, but it'd be worth it) and better casting choices....

MATT
Old 12-10-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
Thinking more about the movie, I suppose I liked it more than I initally did...my main problem comes in knowing that it could have been a CLASSIC if they had tweaked the script to add a bit more depth (sure, the movie would have been 3hrs, but it'd be worth it) and better casting choices....

MATT
I could have sworn I heard somewhere that Narnia was going to be a three hour movie, but Disney cut it down for theatrical purposes and to suit the feisty kids that would surely be viewing it. Here's hoping for a Collector's DVD next Christmas!!

Who was the voice of Captain Morgram (sp?), the wolf? IMDB lists an editor from some of Adamson's other movies named Sim-Taylor somebody, but it just lists the name as Wolf and not the actual character. I could have sworn it sounded like Michael Wincott. Of course I guess voice work can be done by just about anyone with some sound doctoring, just like they did with Matt Wood to make him General Grievous in ROTS.
Old 12-10-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed the music in the movie quite a bit. It came across to me as familiar, but I can't quite place it. Does it remind anyone of something else? I'm thinking specifically of some of the battle music that had kind of this new age, drum beat, hard to describe...
Old 12-10-05, 10:08 AM

I COMPLETELY disagree that the child actors were miscast. I liked how none of them were big name actors, and I really did like Lucy, as did the people I saw the film with.

On a side note, I think that Tilda Swinton was fucking PERFECT for this movie.
Old 12-10-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
Yeah she was! I was a little distracted at first though, cause a couple people behind me thought they were experts on who was who. A few minutes after Aslan showed up, one of them is like, hey, it's Liam Neeson. Well no crap Sherlock! They also said that the white witch was the Borg Queen from First Contact. I could see it, but wasn't sure. Good to see that they were wrong, and I won't have to think of the white witch trying to seduce Data from now on...
Old 12-10-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 176 Posts
I agree that Swinton did a good job. She took the approach of underplaying the role where a lot of past interpretations have chosen over the top. Aside from the scene in her castle with Edmundson, she never really raises her voice, shouts her lines, or cackles like the version I saw in the cartoon, nor did they bury under layers of white make-up like the lower budget version from BBC/PBS.
Old 12-10-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone else a little distracted by Susan's lips? Women pay good money for collagen for lips that size.
Old 12-10-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by beatccr
The four kids show up again in Prince Caspian.
Edmund and Lucy in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
They appear in The Horse and His Boy as adults b/c the story takes place during their reign in TLTHATW.
3 out of the 4 appear once more in the Last Battle.
If they ever try to make the other books into movies, I wonder if the studio will want to tamper with that to try to get the kids in all the stories? I would sure hope not.

And I guess I am also one of the few who didn't mind the kids, and liked Lucy!
Old 12-10-05, 02:16 PM

Yeah, I didn't mind the kids either. Lucy had the cutest expressions, and really helped put you into that childlike, wonder-filled mindset that the story requires IMO.
Old 12-10-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 170 Likes on 121 Posts
Good, but not great. Didn't quite rise up to the next level for me, but I grew up on the books and had a good time. But after "Return of the King," any big battling armies of creatures scene is going to be somewhat of a letdown, IMHO.
Old 12-10-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
I COMPLETELY disagree that the child actors were miscast. I liked how none of them were big name actors, and I really did like Lucy, as did the people I saw the film with.

Agreed. I thought the entire cast was fine, and loved all the kids. Lucy was especially good at setting the tone of wonderment, and that helped the movie a lot.

However, no one rocked like Swinton. My goodness. She was awesome.

I loved the movie no end. I hope the rumors of a longer cut coming on DVD are true. The more the merrier.
Old 12-10-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was great movie. Not Best Picture Great, but a fun movie that i enjoyed. The cast was pretty good, the Deep Roy guy confused me a little. Definately hoping for an extended cut, probably going to be a 3-4 disk edition somewhere down the line. I hate comparing movies to each other. I hate that this is getting compared to Lord of the Rings. I can understand why it is being compared to it, but it just sucks that anything Fantasy is going to be compared to LOTR. It almost cheapens everything that comes out, because its not as good as LOTR or the fight scenes are like it. Anyways i expect them to announce that they will film the next movie in about a month. Maybe they can lock the kids up for a year or two and just really get into the series.
Old 12-10-05, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw it tonight. It was pretty good. Nothing too impressive. Good looking but not much depth. Ehhhh. The majority of the theater audience clapped at the end which i thought was annoying.
Old 12-10-05, 11:27 PM
Suspended

just posted this in the religion topic guess it shoulda gone here

I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. I took the girlfriend who wasn't really thrilled at all to see it but came out raving about how much she loved it. I was finally truly amazed by CGI and how lifelike all of the talking animals appeared and moved and everything. It was very well done.

The story though, to me, while it was good, it just seemed to move too fast. It's almost like the first half or at least 1/3 of the movie is them finding their way to the wardrobe and then the next thing ya know it's like 2 days later and the 16 year old kid is leading an army of fawns and centaurs that he didn't even know 15 minutes ago. There was no real backstory or character development for most of the narnia characters, like Aslan for instance, he's this big lion that the kids love even though they've only known him for what seemed like a day or 2 tops and had maybe a 5 minute conversation with. Then there was that big centaur leader guy who seemed like an important character, but he had maybe 2 lines, a few smiles and bows and that was pretty much it.

Maybe they'll explain it all in the 12 hour directors cut dvd that's gonna come out unannounced 3 weeks after the theatrical version is released.

Still though, it was a very enjoyable movie and it's worth your $10 ticket if anything just to see beavers dressed up as knights.

oh and anyone else think the lead wolf was Michael Madsen? it sounded a lot like him, but I checked IMDB and it wasn't I was convinced it was...

Last edited by necros; 12-10-05 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-11-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those beavers were the best thing in the whole film.

Hopefully they will film a new mini feature for the dvd like MARCH OF THE BEAVERS or something.
Old 12-11-05, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Those beavers were the best thing in the whole film.

Hopefully they will film a new mini feature for the dvd like MARCH OF THE BEAVERS or something.
*Moving to Mature*
Old 12-11-05, 10:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by exm
I agree 100%: the movie overal was very enjoyable - better than HP (I'm not a big HP fan anyway) but nowhere near LOTR. But Little Lucy was really, really annoying with her fake smile during the whole movie...
and her hideous front teeth.
Old 12-11-05, 11:46 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by necros
Then there was that big centaur leader guy who seemed like an important character, but he had maybe 2 lines, a few smiles and bows and that was pretty much it.
I couldn't agree more. There was a moment between Peter and this guy before the battle that suggested they were close, yet he's barely in the film.
Old 12-12-05, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by necros
The story though, to me, while it was good, it just seemed to move too fast. It's almost like the first half or at least 1/3 of the movie is them finding their way to the wardrobe and then the next thing ya know it's like 2 days later and the 16 year old kid is leading an army of fawns and centaurs that he didn't even know 15 minutes ago. There was no real backstory or character development for most of the narnia characters, like Aslan for instance, he's this big lion that the kids love even though they've only known him for what seemed like a day or 2 tops and had maybe a 5 minute conversation with. Then there was that big centaur leader guy who seemed like an important character, but he had maybe 2 lines, a few smiles and bows and that was pretty much it.
I agree with this 100%. It's probably been close to 20 years since I read the book, so maybe the problem is there as well, but it really felt like the plot glossed over how some of these characters got to care about each other.

For me, the worst moment of the movie was when Santa Claus showed up to give the kids their magical weapons. I couldn't stop laughing throughout that scene and for the rest of the movie, I'd snicker any time I thought of it.

A lot of the visuals felt very Lord of the Rings-ish to me. Notsomuch the creatures in Aslan's/Peter's army, but very much so for the White Witch's followers. Also, when the giant birds flew over, dropping rocks on the bad guys, it felt like a combination of shots from Return of the King. It seems like that scene could've been staged in a way that didn't immediately bring another recent movie to mind.

On the plus side, the acting was top notch. I thought Tilda Swinton & the guy who played Mr. Tumnus were great and the kids were quite good for most of the film. I didn't care for the professor at all, but since he was barely in it, that's not much of a gripe. The cgi was great too and I thought it was one of the best jobs I've seen of matching voice talent to fully cgi characters.

All in all, I found the movie to be slightly disappointing, but this was probably mostly due to how much I'd anticipated it. If I had to rank it, I'd give it 2 1/2 out of 4 stars.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.