Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

SAVED . . . no, not the sequel to The Passion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-04, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great trailer and for that matter, great timing:

LINK
Old 03-01-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm.. so it's a movie that makes fun of Christians and especially Christian teens?
Old 03-01-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by DodgingCars
hmmm.. so it's a movie that makes fun of Christians and especially Christian teens?
If so, count me in!
Old 03-01-04, 04:08 PM

Parodying may be a better term for it . . .

"You made me run over Jesus!" Now that's funny.
Old 03-01-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

And it has the Culkinator.
Old 03-01-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by javanut
Parodying may be a better term for it . . .

"You made me run over Jesus!" Now that's funny.
The film seemed mean spirited to me. The characters in the film who hold on to traditional Christian beliefs are portrayed as wackos while those who characters who question those beliefs are portrayed as "normal."
Old 03-01-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully Macaulay Culkin does better in this film than Party Monster....but judging by his performance in the trailer I am not counting on it. "Are you playing footsies with me?" "Wheelies."

The others look to be pretty good. I like Jena Malone for some reason.
Old 03-01-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure if I want to gauge my eyes out. . .or. . .shoot them. . .or be excited. I'm confused. So is this movie going to appeal to non-christains?
Old 03-01-04, 05:27 PM
Cool New Member

hmmm, reminds me of my highschool days,
i choose not to run with that crowd and they labled as a child of darkness, dawm stop calling me!leave me alone.
Old 03-01-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The film seemed mean spirited to me. The characters in the film who hold on to traditional Christian beliefs are portrayed as wackos...
I think it's not that, so much as wackos with Christian beliefs.

I'm a practicing Catholic, but good Lord, so many teenagers have such weird ways of expression and acceptance... and extreme religion is one of them.

Yes, I meant EXTREME religion. Not in the "far from moderate" sense, but in the "COOL! AWESOME! BUZZ WORD!" sense.

Many religious-zealot teens really put the "mental" in "fundamentalism". It's no different than if they chose to be punks, or goths, or whatever. Nothing wrong with any of the teen cliques... there's just some WEIRD ones in each clique.

More power to them, if it makes them happy. Though, I expect they're all going to hell for making Christian rock sell...
Old 03-01-04, 06:31 PM

Crazy christians.
Old 03-01-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by bodomnet
Crazy christians.
Hey now... not all of them are crazy.

Though after the overzealous crowds for The Passion, I had to laugh at the following statement:

"Man, all these christians packed into an auditorium... in wiser times, they'd have released lions..."
Old 03-01-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
I think it's not that, so much as wackos with Christian beliefs.

I'm a practicing Catholic, but good Lord, so many teenagers have such weird ways of expression and acceptance... and extreme religion is one of them.

Yes, I meant EXTREME religion. Not in the "far from moderate" sense, but in the "COOL! AWESOME! BUZZ WORD!" sense.

Many religious-zealot teens really put the "mental" in "fundamentalism". It's no different than if they chose to be punks, or goths, or whatever. Nothing wrong with any of the teen cliques... there's just some WEIRD ones in each clique.

More power to them, if it makes them happy. Though, I expect they're all going to hell for making Christian rock sell...
Well.. there are some wacko adult Christians too. Trust me, I've met them. Ones that think that people who watch the Simpsons are going to Hell, etc... except they wouldn't say Hell, because that's a bad word.

In all honesty, I probably shouldn't judge the movie too harshly by just its trailer.
Old 03-01-04, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Hey now... not all of them are crazy.

Though after the overzealous crowds for The Passion, I had to laugh at the following statement:

"Man, all these christians packed into an auditorium... in wiser times, they'd have released lions..."
hmm reminds me of a song 'Feed Christians to the Lions'
I know they arent all crazy.. just so many I see are over the top and major hypocrits
Old 03-01-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I have a feeling that this will end up appealing to more mainstream and having a 'message' at the end rather than being unapologetic for their making fun of that culture.
Old 03-01-04, 08:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
I have a feeling that this will end up appealing to more mainstream and having a 'message' at the end rather than being unapologetic for their making fun of that culture.

That, my friend, would be quite a shame.

Perhaps it will end with Chris Rock saying, "And remember, it doesn't matter what you believe in...as long as you have a good idea." And then he will wink to the camera.
Old 03-12-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Reminds me of:

The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys

Hell it even has Jena. <3 <3

In any case, as a former Catholic school kid, I'm sold. Anything that seems to be joking about it, I'm all for it.
Old 03-12-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I probably shouldn't judge the movie too harshly by just its trailer.
I think you should leave that up to GOD.

I am Christian, and proud of being 'narrow' about many things (drugs, sex, language, etc.).

The trailer makes the movie look funny. Too bad that it probably will not be.

Oh, and "The Simpsons" was a forbidden show until around '95. Looking back, it is pretty silly that my parents didn't want me watching it. I don't hold it against them. But did they ever watch the show before judging it?

What are the Christian ideas behind being so strict when it comes to media (books, movies, music, television)? I never really understood that.
Old 03-12-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's the very idea of religion. to control it's followers into doing/acting the way they want them to act. Why strict on media? Because that's the purpose of religion.
Old 03-12-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
The trailer had some funny moments, but it looks like the movie could be a little harsher. I'm sure they didn't want to piss off every christian out there.
Old 03-13-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now I truely am not trying to sound condescending or argumentative or anything like that, but I honestly have to wonder if you really understand Christianity when you make comments like these:
Originally posted by bodomnet
. . . just so many I see are over the top and major hypocrits . . .
. . . and . . .
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It's the very idea of religion. to control it's followers into doing/acting the way they want them to act. Why strict on media? Because that's the purpose of religion.
Point 1: Hypocrisy - Let me start out by saying, yes, there are some hypocrits out there . . . I'd never be so crazy as to claim that that is not true, but you also need to understand that the ideals that Christians strive towards are just that . . . ideals. But, like everybody else, they are human too and are just as likely to trip and fall during their attempt to live up to an ideal as anyone . . . even to the point of messing up repetatively or even habitually.

Supporting certain rules and standards of living , but giving into temptation in the process is very different from pretending to support ideals, but actively practicing otherwise. Unfortunately, those two "lifestyles" can look very much alike.

Point 2: "Control" - The idea of religion is not to control its believers. When certain types, genres, etc. of media are "black listed" (so to speak) by religious groups, it is merely in an attempt to reduce temptation. Ideally, people should be able to resist on their own when they encounter temptation, but, in reality, that is far easier said than done. As such, parents, religious leaders, etc. try to remove what they consider to be negative influences in an effort to reduce that temptation.

While I personally believe that getting burned is a more effective/meaning lesson in the dangers of fire than trying to warn and reduce interaction with that fire, you certainly can't blame adults from wanting to protect kids from what they perceive as danger. Additionaly, as you get older, the consequences of of "getting burned" get far more severe (pregnancy and STD's, drug addiction, drunk driving, etc.) In those cases, it is better not to learn the hard way.
Old 03-13-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

oh great, this turns into PASSIONS discussion part 2.

but I honestly have to wonder if you really understand Christianity when you make comments like these
lets just put it that I have my views and you have yours. There is no need to wonder about me. Mind your own business about your beliefs and I will do the same.
Old 03-13-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts
How can this be any more funny than Dogma was? I think this'll be a hoot.

Jena Malone
Old 03-13-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn_straight!
Old 03-13-04, 10:04 AM

looks like it will be funny, and piss a lot of people off that take life and religion too seriously, sounds good to me

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.