Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

SAVED . . . no, not the sequel to The Passion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

SAVED . . . no, not the sequel to The Passion

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It's the very idea of religion. to control it's followers into doing/acting the way they want them to act. Why strict on media? Because that's the purpose of religion.

spoken like a true Catholic
Old 03-13-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
How can this be any more funny than Dogma was? I think this'll be a hoot.

Jena Malone
Probably

I think the girls in the van will steal the movie
Old 03-13-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Though, I expect they're all going to hell for making Christian rock sell...
Old 03-13-04, 02:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
How can this be any more funny than Dogma was? I think this'll be a hoot.
Just about anything would be funnier than Dogma.

As for religion being used a means of control, well, it has. Once religions become organized, they exert a level of control over their followers. In Christianity, it's fairly lax (due to their method of salvation). In Orthodox Judaism and Islam, it's quite strict. And while there's a supposed separation of church and state in the U.S., that's not true in many countries. For example, Ireland only legalized divorce a few years ago. Religion is a method of control, there are no two ways about it.
Old 03-13-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by troystiffler
What are the Christian ideas behind being so strict when it comes to media (books, movies, music, television)? I never really understood that.
My personal theory is that this is so christians don't become un-brainwashed.
Old 03-14-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Just about anything would be funnier than Dogma.
True dat.

As for religion being used a means of control, well, it has. Once religions become organized, they exert a level of control over their followers. In Christianity, it's fairly lax (due to their method of salvation). In Orthodox Judaism and Islam, it's quite strict. And while there's a supposed separation of church and state in the U.S., that's not true in many countries. For example, Ireland only legalized divorce a few years ago. Religion is a method of control, there are no two ways about it.
Yes, one major aspect of organized religion is control over the membership. Just like being a member of the Moose Lodge imposes certain guidelines on you, or living in a civilized society imposes the rule of law. I was able to reconcile my faith in Christ and my dislike of church (I was raised Southern Baptist, but I got better) by realizing that anything that people get their hands on can and will eventually be twisted and corrupted somehow. So I worship alone or in very small, relaxed groups where polite discussion and agreement to disagree is most often the case. If I were given to flights of fancy, I might conjecture that the whole church thing was invented by Lucifer to sabotage God's plan.
Old 03-15-04, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 624 Posts
I was kind of surprised to see Mandy Moore in this. I haven't seen A Walk To Remember, but I've heard that her character's christianity was an important part of that movie. Interesting to see her twist her image a bit here.
Old 03-15-04, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
money talks.
Old 03-15-04, 09:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
the film is fun but flawed. Jena, Macauley, Patrick Fugit, and Heather Matarazzo bring a freshness to the characters they portray and Mandy Moore does a complete 360, and plays a utter be-otch. The film's portrayel of Christinanity is conveyed as a tad of a mockery and Martin Donovan's Pastor Skip doesn't add to the film's tone and comes across as less credible character and one-dimensional.
Will be very curious to see how this film does both critically and how it is marketed.
Old 03-15-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This must have gone over my head....or it's just not interesting. Unless they're saving the funny parts (what trailer actually does that?) it wasn't really offensive or funny......heh....Macauley- that is kinda funny
Old 03-15-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Mind your own business about your beliefs and I will do the same.
That is how I generally like to keep things . . . unless the conversation warrants it or if people ask for my beliefs, I tend to keep them to myself. However, in this case, some disparaging and, at least in my mind, inaccurate remarks were being made about my beliefs, so I felt compelled to respond.
Originally posted by Suprmallet
Religion is a method of control, there are no two ways about it.
Religion is a method of control? Absolutely.

The purpose of of religion is control? Absolutely not.

As for Dogma, I love that movie . . . I think it is Smith's best movie to date. It's funny (I love the whole "Mooby Boardroom" scene) and it gives you a lot of ideas to chew on. I can't imagine Saved even being considered in the same league as Dogma, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Old 03-15-04, 01:06 PM
Retired

Originally posted by DodgingCars
The film seemed mean spirited to me. The characters in the film who hold on to traditional Christian beliefs are portrayed as wackos while those who characters who question those beliefs are portrayed as "normal."
Sounds like a must see to me.
Old 05-15-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Likely meaningless but thought I'd add - Ebert and Roeper is doing an early review of this flick next week. What does that mean?

Ebert liked it.

But then, he's been a Mandy Moore fan for years now.
Old 05-16-04, 12:56 AM
Banned

With the unexpected huge success of THE PASSION, and many teens having seen it.
It's only natural that the dark forces put out a movie that would make fun of teen christains.
Can't have all those converted teens go thru life without any doubts, not in these times we live today.
Old 05-16-04, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Jena Malone is in it, So I'm watching no matter what.
Old 05-16-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Giles
and Mandy Moore does a complete 360, and plays a utter be-otch.
360?

--------

Does Macauly Culkin have the same acting range as he did in Party Monster? (non-existent?)

I love Jena Malone and Heather Matarazzo...so I will see this (but I will probably have to wait until video 'cause it doesn't look like it will come here.
Old 05-16-04, 03:10 PM

Saw the film, wasn't impressed at all. The main problem with the movie is that it's trying to be a dark social satire and a John Hughes teen melodrama. It's like oil and water. What little relevant social commentary there is in the film, is overshadowed by dumb, generic characters that are merely acting out stereotypes and a "message" ending that feels like it was pulled from an after school special.
Old 05-16-04, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by conscience
360?

I agree.

Take that Mandy Moore!
Old 05-17-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I care about what the media and you guys are saying, but at the same time I dont. My faith isn't hinged on what others say about it.

I understand the film's a parody, and thats fine. Many christians seem hellbent on shoving our beliefs down others throats, and that certainly isn't the way to do things. (and not above criticism)

I do have to add that when something is close to your heart and the priority in your life - of course your going to take it seriously.

Also about the hands-off approach to the arts and media that many believers have. Thats just how some people are, I would never criticize someone for being too cautious. I dont think that way, I enjoy looking at other works even if I dont agree with it. And some people won't see what I see - thats the great thing about art!

End of sermon. Tapes available in the lobby for $3.
Old 05-17-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally posted by troystiffler
What are the Christian ideas behind being so strict when it comes to media (books, movies, music, television)? I never really understood that.
Usually the old standby is the "whatever is pure, good, true...meditate on these things." While I agree with that, I think many people confuse 'seeing and hearing' with 'meditation.'

Also I tend to see things in the arts that many of my fellow believers dont, so what might not seem good to them I see as great and worth spending my time on.

The apostle Paul sums it up great - whatever we do lets do it for God's glory. I think hanging out with my non-believing co-workers at the local pub and having a good time is very much giving glory to God.
Old 05-22-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Yeah, uh. Two Thumbs Up from E&R.
Old 05-22-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id...908&cf=trailer

The first 3 and half minutes are online.

I really am looking forward to this film.

And I must say, I like what Ebert and Roeper said in their reviews. They said that this movie is NOT making fun of the christian religion, it is making fun of the people who use the christian religion to hide behind and use as an excuse for their hateful attitude towards others.

Last edited by Seantn; 05-22-04 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-22-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Seantn
They said that this movie is NOT making fun of the christian religion, it is making fun of the people who use the christian religion to hide behind and use as an excuse for their hateful attitude towards others.
Those very people often lack the ability to see the difference.....sad, but true.
Old 05-23-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I try not to sterotype religeous people, I really do. But then some local church mom will pop up in the media, railing about prayer in school, or wanting a book banned, Pat Robertson or Falwell will make some assinine comment and just destorys any open-mindedness I may have had for the, or worse, some real nutjob like Fred Phelps will get his name in the paper and just completely destroy any positive feelings I may have for these people.

OTOH, maybe it's just fundementalists we need to be making fun of, rather than Christians in general.
Old 05-23-04, 04:03 PM
Banned

To many liberals "open mindedness" means taking a bite of the apple in the Garden of Eden.
Many church people know that not following the 10 Commandments is fun, but if we did all of the worlds problems that we have today wouldn't exist.
That's why they try to push it on our culture.
Where the Hollywood, liberal media pushes the oppisite view and that's where we are at today.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.