Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Quentin Tarantino:Great filmmaker, or JackAss?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Quentint Tarantino:JackAss, or great filmmaker?
JackAss
17.31%
Great Filmmaker
32.21%
JackAss who happens to be a great filmmaker
50.48%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Quentin Tarantino:Great filmmaker, or JackAss?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-04, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man, tarantino isn't showing up for the ONE thread that he definatly should be in
Old 02-28-04, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
There's a lot of Tarantino jackass stories in the book Killer Instinct by Jane Hamsher (the producer of Natural Born Killers). Then again, she paints everyone in the book as a jackass so they sould probably be taken with a grain of salt.

My favorite story is about Quentin and Spike Lee (a terrific film maker, but let's face it, an undeniable JackAss). Spike Lee alleges that while he and his wife were standing in line to see The Blair Witch Project, Quentin snuck up behind him and whispered in his ear 'I'm blacker than you are!'.
Old 02-28-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He seems pretty cool in the interviews I've seen him in. And I only saw one of his movies: Pulp Fiction. It's a very good movie, but not awesome as many claimed. So I can't say if he's a great filmmaker either. Can there be a 4th option in the poll?
Old 02-28-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by glassdragon
man, tarantino isn't showing up for the ONE thread that he definatly should be in

The first thing that I thought of when I saw this thread was, "I can't wait to see what Tarentino has to say about this."

I guess I still can't wait.
Old 02-29-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More weird than Jackass
Old 02-29-04, 09:07 PM
Banned

jackass.
Old 02-29-04, 09:31 PM

Not a jackass [eeeeeh, don't like that word] but I don't like any of his movies.
Old 03-01-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Famous people actually show up in these forums??? (sorry, I have no clue - I'm new here).
Old 03-01-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
While he is not the greatest actor alive, he has actually done some good to very good work in the past.

I, for one, think he was quite effective in the opening 30 or so minutes of "From Dusk to Dawn."
Old 03-01-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't really care about his personal life, whether he is a jackass or what not. It is not like I have to interact with him on a personal level EVER. However, I really enjoy his films, his style, his choice of music in his movies. I think he is a great film maker, perhaps controversial, but I enjoy his works, alot.
Old 03-01-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rival11
Famous people actually show up in these forums??? (sorry, I have no clue - I'm new here).
I don't know if anyone "famous" has actually shown up, although there are definitely people from "the industry" that make their presence known from time-to-time.

As for our comments about waiting for Tarantino to make a comment, he is simply a member here who is a fan of QT and goes by that user name.

At least I think that is the case . . .

Quentin? Is that really you?
Old 03-01-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were entertaining post-modern rehashes of the various cult flicks that Tarantino had been digesting for years. However, the hype that followed and annointed him as the virtual "second coming" was way, way overdone. To me, "Kill Bill" (the first part anyway) seems to prove he is running out of creative juice sooner than later.

As for the jackass part - yeah, he comes across as both aggressively geeky (stands to reason, given his personality and gawky appearance) and an egomaniac (also stands to reason, given how every critic and film fan has been kissing his ass for the last ten years). To be fair, we'd all probably turn into jackasses given the same situation.

So to sum up - yeah, overrated on all counts.
Old 03-01-04, 06:27 PM

Great Filmmaker My opinion.
He does have a bit of an ego at times but **** it.
Old 03-01-04, 06:43 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
I lost a lot of respect for him after his 9/11 comments.
Old 03-01-04, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by William Fuld
what where they?
Old 03-01-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What 9/11 comments?
Old 03-01-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think he's a jackass. He reminds me of Goofy the disney cartoon dog (man, dogman?)
Old 03-01-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by talemyn
I don't know if anyone "famous" has actually shown up, although there are definitely people from "the industry" that make their presence known from time-to-time.

As for our comments about waiting for Tarantino to make a comment, he is simply a member here who is a fan of QT and goes by that user name.

At least I think that is the case . . .

Quentin? Is that really you?
Ebert (or someone very close to him) has "browsed the forums" since a few years ago (2001?) he mentioned a chapter list for Muholland drive in a chicago sun times article, that a poster from here had posted
Old 03-01-04, 07:13 PM

Rolling Stone: Has 9/11 or the war on terror had any impact on you personally or creatively?

Tarantino: "9/11 didn't affect me, because there's, like, a Hong Kong movie that came out called 'Purple Storm' and it's fantastic, a great action movie. And they work in a whole big thing in the plot that they blow up a giant skyscraper. It was done before 9/11, but the shot almost is a semiduplicate shot of 9/11. I actually enjoyed inviting people over to watch the movie and not telling them about it. I shocked the shit out of them...I was almost thrilled by that naughty aspect of it. It made it all the more exciting."

Rolling Stone: But on some level you must have been caught up in the reality of 9/11.

Tarantino: "I was scared, like everybody else. 'OK, what is this new world we're going to be living in? Is it going to be ****ing Belfast here?' And I didn't want to ****ing fly nowhere. I remember thinking at the time - this was when they were shooting the 'Matrix' sequels in Australia - 'What if everything, all this shit, breaks out, man?' And all that's left in Hollywood are the 'Matrix' people? That would be a ****in' drag' (Laughs)."
Old 03-01-04, 07:16 PM

That's not exactly an out rage.
Old 03-01-04, 07:17 PM

I didn't say it was.
Old 03-01-04, 07:19 PM

Just seem's a minor thing to lose respect for.
Old 03-01-04, 08:09 PM

Tarantino is 40 years old, not fourteen. For him to react to one of the worst tragedies in U.S. history that way says a lot about him as a person. I'm still a fan of his films, I just think less of him as a man now. (I didn't expect him to start weeping or singing God Bless America, but a more thoughtful answer beyond his glib, Beavis-like answer would've been something.)
Old 03-01-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rolling Stone: Has 9/11 or the war on terror had any impact on you personally or creatively?

Tarantino: "9/11 didn't affect me, because there's, like, a Hong Kong movie that came out called 'Purple Storm' and it's fantastic, a great action movie. And they work in a whole big thing in the plot that they blow up a giant skyscraper. It was done before 9/11, but the shot almost is a semiduplicate shot of 9/11. I actually enjoyed inviting people over to watch the movie and not telling them about it. I shocked the shit out of them...I was almost thrilled by that naughty aspect of it. It made it all the more exciting."
He's only responding to the "creatively" part of the question. He's basically saying his style and perspective on making films hasn't changed, as it hasn't changed for virtually the entire industry. How would 9/11 effect filmmakers in general? The question is irrelevant because he doesn't make action films. It's like asking the Merchant/Ivory team if 9/11 will have any impact on how they "creatively" make their period piece films.

He answers the "personally" part of the question when the interviewer followed-up with a more clarified and specific question. Quentin's response to this was generic, but there was nothing offensive about it.

Last edited by cupon; 03-01-04 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-02-04, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ehhh... yeah. IMO, if the first thing you say to a "how did 9-11 effect you" question is...

9/11 didn't affect me...
something is wrong with you.

j

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.