Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 03:48 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jaeufraser
September 17th? What, does Paramount not have any confidence in this movie? I mean, they did buy the thing...

This is a dumb move in my opinion. While summer is exceptionally busy, I'm not really sure moving to September will do anything but just reduce the audience.
Spider-man 2 would have crushed it, so it's a great move IMO.
Old 04-21-04, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Less crowded in September. Maybe they're going for a different crowd or there's a shift in thinking on the product's capability.
Old 04-21-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts
Well, it definitely won't have to worry about much competition with that as a date.
Old 04-21-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Always a bad sign. From the trailer I could tell this is no blockbuster as I'm not exactly sure who they will be targeting. This movie reminds me of The Rocketeer a bit and that was no huge moneymaker.
Old 04-21-04, 04:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Well, it definitely won't have to worry about much competition with that as a date.
The latter weekends of September are actually a fairly lucrative choice with the right movie. Not summer, but some coin can be made.

UNDERWORLD did 21 mil that weekend in 2003
Old 04-21-04, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Paramount has been known to do boneheaded moves like this. Back in 1996 or 97 they had that movie the Flood, ready for release in May. For some reason, they thought the marketing was bad (it had been fully promoted) so they pulled it, renamed it, and released it in January. Granted, the movie was never going to be a mega hit, but at least in May it would've made more than 20 million dollars total.

is that now deep impact?
No Deep Impact was a big hit. The Flood became "Hard Rain."

And no, I don't think September is a good choice at all. September is great for small films, Underworld being a great example. Underworld was a 23 million dollar film, so September was quite fitting. But look at the Rundown...it grossed about the same as Underworld, but was still not very successful, I think somewhat due to a bad release date, not to mention that it cost 80 million versus 23 million. Sky Captain is an expensive movie...60 milion plus. I can't comment how much Paramount paid for it, but looking at how much films make in September...it's chances are weak at best. Making as much as Underworld would not be successful for this movie.

I dont' know...I think it's dumb. This is pure summer movie material, and at worst it should be an August release. This date jsut indicates lack of confidence, not a smart move imo. Sure the movie might've had a hard time in the summer, but I don't think it'll fare better in September either.

Last edited by jaeufraser; 04-21-04 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-21-04, 04:51 PM

Smart move! Why split Rev with release dates? I dont get it. Glad to see them think wisely and move it back. They can get max. $$'s worth with it not competing with a serious contender.
Old 04-21-04, 05:37 PM
Banned

September is a DUMPING GROUND

Why would Paramount do this...it's not like they have a single other thing to promote this summer.

No wonder they're in last place
Old 04-21-04, 06:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Pants
Hardly.

I thought we went through this already...
Old 04-21-04, 07:10 PM

It's not because of box office competition. A friend of mine worked at the effects house that's working on the effects for the film. When she left the small company, they were still less than 10% done with the footage, and this was a month ago. They are simply behind in schedule. There are special effects in nearly 80% of the film she says, so you can imagine just how far behind they really are.....
Old 04-21-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 741 Likes on 543 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
So is Feb/Mar... but that didn't stop The Passion of the Christ now, did it?
Old 04-21-04, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
I'm rooting for this one big time, great story about the making of it, as the guy built a 6 minute portion of it for 4 years on his home computer, self taught before getting the big league financing. Can't say this is a great sign, but it seems like more of an "intellectual" action movie versus what the xXx crowd looks for at the summer cineplex, so maybe it's for the best. But this isn't a good sign after the Super Bowl add to push it back. I hope it makes it!
Yup. It this was released say 10 years ago, it would have a really good chance at being a classic.

Your typical XXX/Kill Bill/Hellboy big explosions and mecha violence fan of today probally wont' "get it".

Sad...looks really good.
Old 04-21-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hey, thats the Stargate SG-1 theme music!
D
Old 04-21-04, 11:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have to say, all the trailers for this make it look like a lame remake of The War of the Worlds, with equally lame special effects. I hate the soft cinematography people use to blend live action and SFX more effectively. It bothers me in The Lord of the Rings, and it looks like this whole movie was shot that way.

I'd be surprised if it were half as enjoyable as Hellboy, and I'm pretty sure it's not because I don't "get" it.
Old 04-21-04, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by Derrich
Hey, thats the Stargate SG-1 theme music!
D
Its actually the music from the Stargate movie.
Old 04-21-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Seems like a practical move. This looks like a good movie that would get lost in the summer shuffle. It would have debuted between Harry Potter, Stepford Wives, Chronicles of Riddick, The Terminal and Spidey 2 so it would have lost audiences to those more mainstream movies.
I think this isn't going to be a big $150 million hit in the movie theaters, but in September it could stand a good chance to make more than its budget back.
Old 04-22-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow release date moved...

Originally posted by scott shelton
... to September 17th.
Happy birthday to me!

(Thinks)

Wait, that's a Friday? Damn, it'll be hard to get out of work...
Old 04-22-04, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is too bad. I was looking forward to seeing this in a couple of months. It reminded me of The Rocketeer, a personal favorite of mine. Sure, Spiderman 2 was opening from it in a couple of weeks but that release date in June wasn't too crowded. What, was Garfield opening?
Old 04-22-04, 09:41 AM
Banned

I don't know why but i'm probably more excited to see this in the summer than any other movie. I just think it looks very different from anything else that is coming out.
Old 04-22-04, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Hmmm....I smell a bad test screening.
Actually no, you are smelling wrong. The reason for the movie is because the companies that were used to do some of the overflow FX work are doing a really bad job. Those shots that were out sourced are now been bought back in house and it's going to take more time to get everything done.
Old 04-22-04, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by JustInsane
Actually no, you are smelling wrong. The reason for the movie is because the companies that were used to do some of the overflow FX work are doing a really bad job. Those shots that were out sourced are now been bought back in house and it's going to take more time to get everything done.
Hmm, well I guess blaming Paramount wouldn't be right then. But will this film make the Sept 17th release date then? I know this film has a TON of post-prod work needed, I wouldn't be surprised to see this get bumped to winter.
Old 04-23-04, 02:31 AM
Banned

ROCKETTER bombed and so did IRON GIANT, two movies that have a style like SKY CAPTAIN.
They need to add a kissing scene between Anglina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow to wann see this movie.
Old 04-23-04, 12:03 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by devilshalo
So is Feb/Mar... but that didn't stop The Passion of the Christ now, did it?
Yeah, but for every Passion that comes along, we get a dozen Pluto Nashes and Kangaroo Jacks.

Sadly, based on the performance of previous Pulp action/adventure movies (Rocketeer, Phantom, and so on), I can only predict doom for the movie regardless of when Paramount releases it. Mainstream audiances just wont jibe with The Vibe.

Pity, because I am *SO* looking foward to this. It looks to be great fun indeed.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 04-23-04 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-23-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by El-Kabong
I can only predict doom for the movie regardless of when Paramount releases it. Mainstream audiances just wont jibe with The Vibe.
On the bright side, it could easily be a movie like Donnie Darko that becomes a hit on DVD.
Old 05-10-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the newest Xbox Magazine demo disc theres a trailer for Sky Captain when it was still coming out in the summer and it is sweet, they have underwater airplane dog fights, it just looks too cool. One bitch is that it does look like everyone is standing in front of a green screen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.