DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/344076-sky-captain-world-tomorrow.html)

MaDJoE 12-20-03 07:11 PM

Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow Trailer

Can someone tell me were this came from? This movie just came out from nowhere.

SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW

fumanstan 12-20-03 07:20 PM

I only skimmed through the thread about this movie, but after watching the trailer earlier today, it looks absolutely amazing. Can't wait to find out and see more of it.

Rogue588 12-20-03 07:32 PM

might be some more information over here -- http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=287428

wm lopez 12-20-03 09:15 PM

It reminds me of THE ROCKETTER.
I would rather see THE MASK 2.

RyoHazuki 12-20-03 09:17 PM

That looks awesome.

Spooky 12-20-03 09:35 PM

Reminded me of THE ROCKETEER too...and I fear it may suffer the same theatrical fate of THE ROCKETEER, which was a great movie, but failed to draw either kids or adults into the theater.

This looks like a kids movie made with adults in mind...hopefully adults will go see it, because I fear none of today's generation of youngsters will be interested in what looks like an old fashioned adventure modeled from the old movie serials.

RichC2 12-20-03 09:46 PM

It looks like an action animation feature but instead of spending beaucoup buck a la Final Fantasy, they just used real actors.

Love the visual style and will definitely see it when I have the chance.

Rivero 12-20-03 10:40 PM

Looks cool. Looking forward to it.

dcprules 12-21-03 03:19 AM

I totally thought of The Rocketeer when watching that trailer. I loved that movie, still love that movie, and still want an anamoprhic Vista Series DVD of it (you never know, they made a Special Edition of Newsies so I guess anything is possible). This movie looks pretty good, looking forward to it.

Derrich 12-21-03 08:49 AM

It looks great. And the Stargate SG-1 music in the trailer doesnt hurt either.

D

PalmerJoss 12-21-03 10:03 AM

Looks very cool. I love the look and design of the movie, very 1950's. The cast doesn't look too shabby, either. I might check this out next summer.

flashburn 12-21-03 10:17 AM

That looks very cool, looking forward to seeing it. The visual style looks great.

glassdragon 12-22-03 03:46 AM

You know, I personally think this movie looks like crap. BUT it's so surreal looking, almost like the game crimson skies for xbox that i may just have to see it anyways :)

Jackskeleton 12-22-03 05:35 AM

Looks like the rocketeer and you know what, I will do what I did for the rocketeer, watch it again and again in theaters. Loved it. I really enjoy the old fashion serials. I look foward to watching this. :)

Pointyskull 12-22-03 07:57 AM

Re: Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow Trailer

Originally posted by MaDJoE
Can someone tell me were this came from? This movie just came out from nowhere.
I had the same reaction when I first saw the trailer.

Aside from the appeal of Angelina Jolie with an eyepatch, it looks fabulous...

scroll2b 12-22-03 08:18 AM

AICN has been following it for a long time. Check there....

REL77 12-22-03 08:58 AM

I saw the trailor for this, and honestly thought it was more of a joke than anything... Maybe I didnt get it or something, but it just looked bad to me... We will have to see

Giantrobo 12-22-03 09:19 AM

This looks amazing. :eek:

However, I have a feeling the general public won't like it. Just like The Shadow, The Rocketeer, The Phantom....all cool period Hero movies. :(

Off topic observation...FINALLY A MOVIE GOT THE IDEA OF ORNITHOPTERS RIGHT!

chanster 12-22-03 10:22 AM

Anything with Gwyenth Paltrow - I see!

Draven 12-22-03 11:22 AM

The robot designs look straight out The Iron Giant, so I'd be all over it for that reason alone.

necros 12-22-03 11:41 AM

It looks good. But one thing that always bugs me is when trailers use music from other movies ... like Stargate on this one, Bram Stroker's Dracula is overused and I think the Gladiator music was on the Alamo trailer if I remember right... Do they think people won't notice? :)

gcribbs 12-22-03 12:46 PM

looks like it has potential :)

I liked The Rocketeer so maybe this is why I liked the trailer.

chanster 12-22-03 01:13 PM

It looks good. But one thing that always bugs me is when trailers use music from other movies ... like Stargate on this one, Bram Stroker's Dracula is overused and I think the Gladiator music was on the Alamo trailer if I remember right... Do they think people won't notice?
Who cares? Why does this bother you?
I mean Gladiator used "Anvil of Crom" from Conan.
Almost every action movie uses "Bishop's Countdown" from Aliens.
Two Towers used "Requiem for a Dream" albeit a new version.
Its a fact of life, the score for a lot of movies aren't finished when they make trailers.

Sessa17 12-22-03 03:08 PM

I really dig the look of the movie & love this kind of stuff, but it's the cast that really turns me off. I may not even see it just b/c those 3 stars are 3 of my least favorite actors.

Dr. DVD 12-22-03 03:16 PM

Looks interesting to say the least; doubt the general public will buy it though. Kids today don't want heroes in the vein of Lone Ranger or Flash Gordon, they want Captain Jack Sparrow.

Not that I don't like Jack, but he's not the best of role models for kids.