Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"

Old 12-22-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be steering waaaaaay clear of this.

Doesn't look interesting to me in the least.
Old 12-22-03, 04:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Basically, people familiar with the old serials will see this movie.

Others will be confused by the trailer and stay away.

Looks amazing, but I think it will bomb.
Old 12-22-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
I really like the looks of this. I think this is the flick that Gwyneth and Jude were complaining about b/c all most all of the scenes involved a green screen. I will see it for sure.

Last edited by Deftones, Esq; 12-23-03 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-23-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Looks amazing, but I think it will bomb.
Yep, unfortunately, I haveta agree.

But, at least we'll be able to check it out...and if it's as good as I think it'll be, buy the DVD.
Old 12-23-03, 03:11 AM
Suspended

Ah yeah, nothing says "Good Movie" like giant Killer Nazi Death Robots vs the Two Fisted, Hard Boiled Hero!

If the movie is a tenth as good as the Rocketeer, then I'm all over this puppy like white on rice. Hell, even if it gets panned, I'll still probably go see it. I love pulp movies. I love the 40's movie serial genre - The Phantom, The Shadow, hell, I'd buy Doc Savage - Man of Bronze if it ever came to DVD based solely on my vauge childhood memories.

This thing looks awsome.

***EDIT*** I MUST have this poster!

Last edited by El-Kabong; 12-23-03 at 03:15 AM.
Old 12-23-03, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is the coolest ****ing movie poster...ever!
Old 12-23-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quite ballsy to go with a movie like this..... especially when the director was doing this by himself without anyone's help for 3-5 years, and only had 8 minutes of footage.... but someone, somewhere saw it, and its potential, and it all got in the right hands, so to speak.... we'll see.
Old 12-25-03, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
This was originally called The World of Tomorrow but they added the Sky Captain part for franchise reasons ala Indiana Jones and Harry Potter. I hope that's a good indicator of the faith the studio has of this being a hit.
Old 12-25-03, 04:03 AM

I think that the studio does have a lot of faith in this film. Besides the rumors of them considering this as franchise potential, it was a negative pickup, meaning they paid for it after it was mostly made (somewhere over the summer). Signs that maybe...this is good.

On the other hand...it is Paramount. We know how well they've been doing.

But high hopes for this. If this nails it right, it could be awesome.
Old 12-25-03, 06:39 AM

{preps folding lawn chair, beach umbrella, "double header" helmet, igloo cooler, and The BIG BOOK of Crosswords, Vol. 19}
Looks visually stunning! Hopefully there's a storyline to match. It looks like a cross between the old Republic(?) serials & the Fleicher's Superman cartoons.
Old 12-25-03, 09:58 PM

"This was originally called The World of Tomorrow but they added the Sky Captain part for franchise reasons ala Indiana Jones and Harry Potter."

Actaully, only partly right. The name was actually changed because Roland Emmerich was threatening legal action since he thought World of Tomorrow was too close a title to Day After Tomorrow.
Old 12-26-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally posted by Draven
The robot designs look straight out The Iron Giant, so I'd be all over it for that reason alone.
While I can see a touch of Iron Giant here, the feeling I'm really getting is that someone has decided to take the old Fleischer Bros. Superman cartoons and make them live action.

The shot of the swarm of flying robots is lifted straight from the "Mechanical Monsters" cartoon.
Old 12-26-03, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope it has those dancing Bird Men who kidnapped Lois Lane.
Old 12-26-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
What this movie needs is a score by Queen!
Old 12-26-03, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
What this movie needs is a score by Queen!
Hmmm...
*duhn* *duhn* *duhn* Sky... Captain! A-aah! *duhn* *duhn* *duhn*....
Nah. i wouldn't mind a rousing, signature John Williams score, though. Hell, if you're planning on a franchise, he's The Man - or mebbe Elfman?
Old 12-26-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
Where can I get that poster?

And if this film is have as good as the trailer makes it look, I am so there like twenty freakin' times! (Oh and I hope that'll be the cover for the DVD. )
Old 12-26-03, 04:39 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Intersting visuals - I'll probably see it.
Old 12-27-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Apparently the director is also a computer programmer and first wrote the software to allow him to animate the backgrounds. Then all of the acting was done in front of green screens. Doing it this way enabled him to basically have completely animated storyboards finished before filming with the actors. Looks amazing, and I'll definitely see it, but I'm afraid it will bomb. Just isn't what today's shallow audiences like to see.
Old 12-27-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally posted by necros
It looks good. But one thing that always bugs me is when trailers use music from other movies ... like Stargate on this one, Bram Stroker's Dracula is overused and I think the Gladiator music was on the Alamo trailer if I remember right... Do they think people won't notice?
Almost every trailer uses music from other movies, and the ones that don't use pop songs. The reason why is that the score is the last thing done on a film, after the final cut is locked down. Trailers are cut way before a film is completed, typically, so there is no original score for the trailer editors to use. Thus they use other film's scores and unrelated songs.
Old 12-28-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd rather they use real film music that the cheap John Beal "sound alike" stuff. I get enough "sounds like something you know really well but just different enough to piss you off" music when watching NFL Films. Of course, it is annoying that every trailer in the 90s seemed contractually obligated to slip in a few measures of Edelman's Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story.

As for this film, looks damn intriguing. Like others, I hope it's as cool as it looks.

das
Old 12-29-03, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A big Rocketeer fan, so I'll be all over this one.

I'm just praying that the script is as good as the visuals (flashing back to how excited I was the first time I saw the Final Fantasy:TSW trailer).

As for predictions that it'll bomb, hey you never know. This time last year who woulda thought that a pirate movie would turn a profit?

Last edited by Panda Phil; 12-29-03 at 04:06 AM.
Old 12-29-03, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Damn, that looks cool!
Old 12-29-03, 10:43 AM
Retired

I had mixed feelings about the trailer.

It looks like it could end up being very good, or very cheesy IMO.
Old 12-30-03, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by RevLiver
Apparently the director is also a computer programmer and first wrote the software to allow him to animate the backgrounds. Then all of the acting was done in front of green screens. Doing it this way enabled him to basically have completely animated storyboards finished before filming with the actors. Looks amazing, and I'll definitely see it, but I'm afraid it will bomb. Just isn't what today's shallow audiences like to see.
He may have written some for his promo to get the movie sold (which from what I have seen I don't believe), but even if he did write some program they aren't using it to made the movie.
Old 12-30-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, after watching the trailer on a big screen, I have to say the effects look like hell. Nevertheless, I do like the stylistic cinematography (if it could be called that).

As good as this film could be, I think we're forgetting that this is a film from a filmmaking novice.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.