Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do the Right Thing - Out-dated?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do the Right Thing - Out-dated?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-04, 08:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Butt
Truely Sal is not the 1 dimensional character Lee wanted him to appear to be.
You can thank Danny Aiello for that. On the CC suplements, the differences between Aiello and Lee regarding the character are clear. Aiello didn't think Sal was a racist, Lee did.
Old 01-26-04, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by lesterlong
Interesting. Am i the only one who saw Mookie's garbage can throw as an act of saving Sal and his sons? That's what I thought when I was watching it last night. Although I'm sure it can preceived in other ways.
I saw the movie many years ago when it first came out. Can someone explain why Mookie threw the garbage can through Sal's pizzeria's window? I don't think I understood it when I saw it (I was 12 yrs old). I remember it had something to do with Radio Raheem's death, but I couldn't see what compelled Mookie to initiate the destruction of his employer's pizzeria.
Old 01-26-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts
The police take off, leaving Sal, Vito and Pino standing alone, with the entire neighbourhood staring them down. The assumption is that they are going to be attacked, and that throwing the garbage can diverts the mob's attention to the building and off of Sal and Co.
Old 01-26-04, 02:03 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
The police take off, leaving Sal, Vito and Pino standing alone, with the entire neighbourhood staring them down. The assumption is that they are going to be attacked, and that throwing the garbage can diverts the mob's attention to the building and off of Sal and Co.
aaah, yess.. that might make sense... Well, I guess I'll revisit Do The Right Thing so time this week. Thank you.
Old 01-26-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw the trash can through the window as an act both to save Sal and to deal with his pent-up anger. It served dual purposes. I always think it's kind of pathetic, considering history and all, when white people even try to cry "racism", but this is a film that stirs up so many emotions and discussion. Thich is why it's easily one of the most important, if not exactly enjoyable, films to come out in the past couple of decades...maybe ever.
Old 01-26-04, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally posted by kurupt
I saw the trash can through the window as an act both to save Sal and to deal with his pent-up anger. It served dual purposes. I always think it's kind of pathetic, considering history and all, when white people even try to cry "racism", but this is a film that stirs up so many emotions and discussion. Thich is why it's easily one of the most important, if not exactly enjoyable, films to come out in the past couple of decades...maybe ever.
I don't understand what you mean. Racism works both ways. I felt that Mookie was just as much a racist as Turturro's character was. Even if you have no hatred in you for another person, believing that your race is superior to others is still racist. Still a fine film.
Old 01-26-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Racism only applies to blacks. Get it straight lesterlong.
Old 01-26-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I never really liked the movie much. I thought it should have been called Do The Wrong Thing.

Of course maybe my dislike of the movie caused me to miss why what he did was right.

I do not think a good movie really becomes outdated. I think the story will draw you in inspite of what were contemporary references.
Old 01-27-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by lesterlong
I don't understand what you mean. Racism works both ways.
This is really a topic of discussion for the Other Forum but there are many people who follow a more sociological definition of racism where a minority can't be "racist" because of the inherent power differential of being a minority. Personally this is a definition i use when saying "racism." So in essence Mookie could be discriminatory but not racist.
Old 01-27-04, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally posted by xmiyux
This is really a topic of discussion for the Other Forum but there are many people who follow a more sociological definition of racism where a minority can't be "racist" because of the inherent power differential of being a minority. Personally this is a definition i use when saying "racism." So in essence Mookie could be discriminatory but not racist.
So you mean race only applies to minorities? There's people of different races and then there's white people? It seems that this type of thinking automatically puts white people on pedestal above other races. Because you have given minorities the power to call white people racists you have created a barrier between people of other races and white people. But that seems quite common among today's liberal ideaologies. A black person can call a white person racist. And a white person can call a black person racist. Because we are all equal. But hey the movie was still good.
Old 01-28-04, 02:26 AM
Suspended

But that seems quite common among today's liberal ideaologies.
Mmm. OK. Whatever...
Old 09-20-17, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Do the Right Thing - Out-dated?

You guys also forget that Sal used the n-word, too. Not as a term of endearment, but because he was also a racist. Yeah, he put up with the guys, but you don't just snap and call someone an n-word -- if you do then guess what? You're racist.

I need to re-watch DTRT -- it's been a couple of years.
Old 09-20-17, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Remarkable how many suspended/banned forum members make up this thread.

I still hold the movie in high regard, and glad to see I didn't post anything stupid thirteen years ago.
Old 09-20-17, 06:49 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Weird and random thread bump. But not, Do the Right Thing is not dated.
Old 09-20-17, 07:02 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

How far we've come from such bizarre comments about race and racism less than 15 years ago.

The social commentary is as relevant as ever. I was just thinking about this movie the other day. May be time to pull it out again.
Old 09-20-17, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I only bumped the the thread because I watched Bamboozled and thought it was great, but that led me to this thread, which was interesting.
Old 09-20-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You guys also forget that Sal used the n-word, too. Not as a term of endearment, but because he was also a racist. Yeah, he put up with the guys, but you don't just snap and call someone an n-word -- if you do then guess what? You're racist.

It took you 13 years to think of this response to the thread?
Old 09-20-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
It took you 13 years to think of this response to the thread?

Huh? Did you not read the response above your response?

Old 09-20-17, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

...I watched Bamboozled and thought it was great...
Old 09-20-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Huh? Did you not read the response above your response?

You are responding to people who posted 13 years ago. Some of which are not even members here anymore. I don't think I'm the one confused.
Old 09-20-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You are responding to people who posted 13 years ago. Some of which are not even members here anymore. I don't think I'm the one confused.

Not responding to anyone directly -- it's a public forum, open thread, anyone can now see it. It's valid necro-thread-bump. What the fuck do you care? Contribute or GTFO.
Old 09-20-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

So anyone calling someone else the N-word is a racist. Got it.
Old 09-20-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not responding to anyone directly -- it's a public forum, open thread, anyone can now see it. It's valid necro-thread-bump. What the fuck do you care? Contribute or GTFO.
Nah, I'll post into whatever 13 year old thread I feel like. When you are a mod (i.e. never in this fucking lifetime) you can tell people where they can and can't post.
Old 09-20-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nah, I'll post into whatever 13 year old thread I feel like. When you are a mod (i.e. never in this fucking lifetime) you can tell people where they can and can't post.

You're being a douche. I'm sorry if I offended your sensibilities by bumping a 13 year-old thread with a relevant comment and that you were too boneheaded to read the reason WHY I bumped it.

You have contributed ZERO to this conversation and thread, so either do so, or go somewhere else.
Old 09-20-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

The visuals and some of the physical trappings may be dated, but the ideas and the overall theme of the movie aren't dated at all. Unfortunately, they are as relevant as ever.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.