Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blair Witch....5 years later

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Blair Witch....5 years later

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scared the crap out of me in the theater. I know I'm going to get blasted for this but: Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Stupid and not scary
The Exorcist: Boring and not scary

To me those movies are over rated and not scary. I tried to me scared I really did. Maybe if I was my age back when they came out or even alive at the time I would have been scared. But to this day TBWP is probably the scariest movie I've seen.
Old 01-31-07, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw 'The Exorcist' and 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' during their original theatrical runs in 1973/1974. As an impressionable youngster they scared the shit out of me. Having studied the films intently for all these years they remain powerful, iconic, groundbreaking horror films.
'The Blair Witch Project' which I also saw in theaters years later did absolutely nothing for me. It was just silly. I too wanted to be really scared. I bought into the hype and was highly disappointed.
I believe the aforementioned films hold up today as perhaps the two greatest horror films ever commited to celluloid.
Old 01-31-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought this movie was pretty good. Now mind you I saw it during its limited release before I had dozens of people go "OMG DID U hear about THE LOST FILMS that are SCARREY?" I didn't even check the website or anything. Just heard of the concept, saw the movie, liked it. Best horror movie ever? No. Worst ever? No.

Now, if you want to hate a movie, hate its sequel.
Old 01-31-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Crap then, still crap now.
Old 01-31-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
5 years later... I still haven't seen it (and still don't care to)
Old 01-31-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Great movie. The only movie I have ever seen that was actually scary.
Old 01-31-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by neocheddar02
I liked that it was sort of up to your imagination to decide what was lurking in the forest.
To me this (fear of the uknown) is what makes this movie a masterpiece along with :
The low budget that adds to the realism (grainy film / shaky camera)
And the minimal screenplay (lots of improv dialog & acting)

Roger Ebert : At a time when digital techniques can show us almost anything, "The Blair Witch Project" is a reminder that what really scares us is the stuff we can't see.

Last edited by inri222; 01-31-07 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-31-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
Great movie. The only movie I have ever seen that was actually scary.
I agree, and I knew going into the movie that it was 100% staged. Gore isn't scary. Not seeing the "evil" or only seeing glimpses of it can be horrifying.

Most people that hate Blair Witch hate it because a)we never see the "witch" or b) they feel conned because they thought it was "real" when the first saw it.

I defy ANY filmmaker out there to make a movie that good and that interesting with the same equipment and budget Blair Witch was made on. For what they had to work with, they made a brilliant movie.
Old 01-31-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
5 years later... I still haven't seen it (and still don't care to)
Maybe you'll change you mind when it's 8 years later?
Old 01-31-07, 12:12 PM

I think alot of what you got out of Blair Witch is what you brought into it, though I also admit that I saw it early on in its run and knew very little about it (hadn't seen any marketing outside of Ebert's review).

As a kid, I was terrified of the woods...particularly of being in the woods after dark. I was also greatly affected by summer camp fireside tales of ax-wielding maniacs like "Cropsy" to the point where I couldn't sleep, where every little snap of a twig and rustle of leaves set me to shivering.

So what Blair Witch did, for me, was bring back those feelings despite those childhood fears being conquered by years of logic and experience. I felt the sheer panic of those kids (panic often overcomes logic, so I had no difficulties with suspension of disbelief), panic that was never heightened by conventional horror movie music.

And at the end, with the corner? I was shaking. It was just that image of him facing the corner that hit me. The witch, the killer, the "magic woods," the logical explanation, whatever, none of that mattered to me, just as none of it mattered to me when I was shivering in my sleeping bag.

What got me was the screaming, the guy facing the corner with something menacing just out of sight as was earlier mentioned as an urban legend in the film, the abandoned house in the middle of the woods in the middle of the night.

Films rarely affect me. I consider myself a student of film, someone who can easily pull back and realize what they're watching up on screen is not reality. And I'm pretty damn cynical person, always looking for plot holes and Hollywood conventions. But Blair Witch brought out in me something that I hadn't felt since I was a little kid...genuine, irrational fear.
Old 01-31-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CreatureX
I still think BWP is a great movie. I always play it during my Halloween movie marathons.

Me too!
Old 01-31-07, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well written, Zooiks, I couldn't agree more with.

Originally Posted by zooiiks
And at the end, with the corner? I was shaking. It was just that image of him facing the corner that hit me. The witch, the killer, the "magic woods," the logical explanation, whatever, none of that mattered to me, just as none of it mattered to me when I was shivering in my sleeping bag.

What got me was the screaming, the guy facing the corner with something menacing just out of sight as was earlier mentioned as an urban legend in the film, the abandoned house in the middle of the woods in the middle of the night.

Blair Witch brought out in me something that I hadn't felt since I was a little kid...genuine, irrational fear.
That scene also stuck with me. Though I didn't see what was going on, it absolutely terrifired me beyond words. It was like an amalgamation of everything that utterly terrified me; That late night sense of dread that even though all ration says there is nothing hiding in my closet or lurking under the bed, I'm almost paralyzed with fear. If that makes any sense.
Old 04-29-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Blair Witch...9 years later (for one of the directors)

Life After That Very Profitable Fake Witch
By DAVID CARR
Published: April 24, 2008

“The Blair Witch Project,” the cult hit released in 1999, ends without ending, but the viewer is pretty sure that what follows after the abrupt camera cut is quite grim. And one of the people who never seemed to make it back from those dark, awful woods was Daniel Myrick, the film’s co-director.

Mr. Myrick spurned the Hollywood blandishments that came his way in the film’s aftermath, instead charting his own course, including a few straight-to-video projects that did not remotely approach the culture-tilting or commercial impact of “Blair Witch,” his first feature. But despite the jokes — and articles — about “The Curse of the Blair Witch,” Mr. Myrick never became frantic about the next big thing.

“I’ve been on the beach in Bermuda for the last few years,” he said. Full beat. “I’m kidding.”

Mr. Myrick, 44, has actually been busy in Morocco shooting “The Objective,” a military-horror-thriller-buddy movie set in Afghanistan that suggests that Osama bin Laden is not the only seemingly supernatural force haunting the mountains there.

The film, which will have its premiere Thursday evening at the Tribeca Film Festival, grew out of a script that Mr. Myrick wrote with Mark A. Patton and Wesley Clark Jr. (yes, the son of that Wesley Clark). “Afghanistan is a mystical place completely infused with superstition and religion,” Mr. Myrick explained by phone. “I thought it would be an effective contemporary backdrop for a thriller.”

In the film a C.I.A. officer joins up with a Special Forces crew for a mission deep in the mountains and tells the team members little, at least very little that is true, about what they are actually looking for. They are confronted by mortal and supernatural threats that leave the crew decimated and wondering precisely what it is up against.

Throughout “The Objective” there are weird visual portents, deadly beams of light and disappearing bodies. The action is complicated and head-spinning, rendered against a foreboding visual backdrop and populated with terse-talking military types. It’s the kind of film that could leave a few audience members scratching their heads, but Mr. Myrick is not particularly interested in meeting the criteria of a studio film. “I am interested in independent film, in doing smaller projects on my own terms,” he said. “I am not in a rush to do a lot of films. I want to do my own thing, and I think Tribeca and New York is the perfect place for a film like ‘The Objective.’ It is an independent project from start to finish.”

Jeremy Wall of Jaz Films, one of the producers of the movie, can vouch for that.

“He showed us a two-page treatment, and we optioned the film,” Mr. Wall said of “The Objective,” which cost less than $5 million. “Daniel really didn’t want to make a studio film, and we thought this was a very worthy idea. He has a way of portraying fear without really showing it. He is confident in his audience and confident that he doesn’t have to explain every single little thing to them.”

It is a confidence that found enormous cultural and financial traction nine years ago in “The Blair Witch Project.” A minimalist horror film shot with three lead actors and a few tents in the Maryland woods, it was directed by Mr. Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez, former schoolmates at the University of Central Florida’s film school in Orlando. Built on the trope of college kids making a documentary, “Blair Witch” was hardly the first time happy-go-lucky types wandered into the woods and to their doom in a movie, but there was magic in the guerrilla shooting style. (“Cloverfield” recently used a similar conceit with a much larger budget.)

It would be difficult to overstate the impact of “The Blair Witch Project.” After creeping onto the Web in a viral marketing strategy built on a world of conjured folklore, the film played to sold-out theaters and made the covers of both Time and Newsweek. Apart from being a producer’s dream — the movie made on credit cards and $35,000 that eventually racks up $250 million in worldwide sales — the stickman totem became part of cultural iconography, and few of us who have spent time in tents since have managed to avoid cracking wise about “Blair Witch.”

Everyone was riveted by the idea of a sequel, save the guys who made the original. Artisan Entertainment forged ahead with a sequel without them. The movie tanked.

The predictable offers to direct other thrillers — including “The Exorcist 4” and another “Nightmare on Elm Street” sequel — were rebuffed. But the movie they did choose, a screwball comedy called “Heart of Love,” never made it past the script stage. Mr. Myrick then developed and directed an early Web serial called “The Strand,” a Raymond Carveresque weave of stories set amid the daily carnival of Venice Beach in California. Its digital video was eventually edited into a feature, but that never reached theaters either.

With “The Objective” Mr. Myrick is still trying to bushwhack his own path. He used the Web as a casting vehicle where people could post auditions for him to look at. Jeff Prewett, an Australian, made the cut and was cast as Sadler, a member of the Special Forces team. “The first day we met was on set,” Mr. Myrick said.

Richard Halpern, a longtime friend and a co-producer on the film, said Mr. Myrick was never big on convention.

“He had a lot of opportunities in the studio world, and I go back and forth on that, but Dan is very much an outside-the-box thinker,” he said. “He does his thing the way he sees it and has no interest in making mediocre movies for some sort of career move.”

Mr. Myrick suggested that with the advent of cheaper moviemaking technology and alternative distribution models like digital downloads and direct-to-DVD — much of it presaged by the breakthrough of “Blair Witch” — success was no longer defined by a reserved parking space on a studio back lot.

“‘Blair Witch’ gave me some financial security at a time when I was having trouble coming up with the money to pay the phone bill,” he said. “I have high hopes for ‘The Objective,’ and sure, I want to establish myself as a commercially viable director. But being able to say no, to only make the work that you really love and have a good time doing it, is another way to be successful.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/24/mo...0A&oref=slogin
I first saw BWP when it came out on DVD and didn't care for it. Basically, my problems were with the shaky cam, annoying/stupid characters, lazy improv, and hype ("scary as hell"?). But then I read this review last week and decided to give the movie another shot.

A friend let me borrow the DVD and I watched it last night. Being far removed from the hype allowed me to appreciate it more, but outside of two scenes (the "children" shaking the tent, the end at the house), I still didn't find it scary.

She also lent me Book of Shadows, which I hadn't seen before. I watched it right after the original last night. It certainly wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen, but it wasn't scary, either. And I'm a huge wuss when it comes to horror movies.
Old 04-29-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I take it no one seen the movie 'Altered' directed by Sanchez?

it Rocked!!
Old 04-29-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the movie, but I've never watched it. I think I might watch it this weekend.
Old 04-29-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011

it Rocked!!
I liked it a lot...great alien flick.
Old 04-29-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not a horror fan, but I still haven't seen a horror movie since that I've liked as much.
Old 04-29-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011

it Rocked!!
I thought it was terrible, actually shut it off not even half way through.

I loved the BWP though.