Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jersey Girl (D: Kevin Smith)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jersey Girl (D: Kevin Smith)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin Smith can write a good adult movie as he proved with 'Chasing Amy', but he also can write complete crap as he proved with 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back'. The main thing is the fact that this film takes place out of ViewAskew. The characters are not characters smith fans have grown to know. Not to mention the whole Gigli / Bennifer thing is going to hurt public reception of the film.
Old 02-17-04, 04:49 PM

Jason Lee better be in it
Old 02-17-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And this is coming from the same Kevin Smith who said that Daredevil was the best comic book movie he had ever seen.
Old 02-17-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow! Where did all of this Kevin Smith hating come from?
Old 02-17-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by talemyn
Wow! Where did all of this Kevin Smith hating come from?
I can only speak for myself: I don't hate Kevin Smith, but on the other hand I am not in the camp that believes everything he touches will just turn to gold, and sometimes I do think his own ego gets the better of good judgment. Now, I know he had a personal stake in Daredevil, and was probably saying great things about it because he had a cameo in there and all, but still, if you're going to say all this stuff about the movie (and Ben Affleck, because remember he really talked up Ben's role in that movie as well) and it doesn't pan out, then I think you have some answering to do. It's good to be confident that you put out the best work possible, and I will see Jersey Girl, Viewaskewverse or no Viewaskewverse, and will judge it based solely on it's own merits, not if it makes me laugh as much as Mallrats or if it's the best movie I've seen of his since Chasing Amy. And, personally, I think this "refund" thing is maybe a good way to get promotion out about his moive, but he's going on again about how great it is and, well, to be honest, some of the things he claimed would be incredibly great in the past just were not.
Old 02-17-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Kevin Smith hating is average internet backlash. Something gets really popular, people get sick of it, a group goes 180 and starts spreading hate. I know that many of you really hate him and its not backlash but the majority is just backlash.
Old 02-17-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I seem to remember Bill Murray doing a similar stint while promoting "The Man Who Knew Too Little," it was hilarious because after the movie came out, there was a clip on Access Hollywood showing Murray outside a New York theater actually paying back disgruntled moviegoers.
Old 02-17-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
I'm not a Kevin Smith hater... I really enjoy his movies. I'm also not saying Jersey Girl is a bad film. I'm just saying I was disappointed in it. It just seemed very pedestrian.

But I might go check it out to see if any changes were made from the print I saw at a screening last summer. I hope my first impression was wrong.
Old 02-17-04, 07:13 PM

Am I the only one actually looking forward to this movie? If it is half as good as the preview it will be great.
Old 02-17-04, 07:24 PM
Banned

Smith is my hero!

I bow to him!
Old 02-17-04, 07:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So...a free movie, then. Sweet.
Old 02-17-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm looking forward to this film, and will see it in the theatre. It will be the first film I will see in the theatre since Matchstick Men.

I am a fan of KS and Affleck, so this film is a given.
Old 02-17-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 484 Likes on 320 Posts
I'm wouldn't call myself a Kevin Smith fan. I've seen each of his films, but only at the theaters. Only two of them have I liked and seen again. Still, I plan to go see Jersey Girl. While it probebly won't be awe inspiring, it looks like the sort of movie I'll enjoy.
Old 02-17-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll watch it if i have a date Otherwise i'll probably check out the DVD. About the whole not being part of the view askew universe... i could care less. Chasing Amy is my favorite Kevin Smith film and one of my favorite movies in general, and Jay and Silent Bob were barely in it. It would have been just as effective without any of the references to other characters.
Old 02-26-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Smith cuts wedding scene from "Jersey Girl"

http://snipurl.com/jerseygirlcut

"I didn't know if (it was right) to leave it in," Smith is quoted as saying in the March 8 issue. "People might forget they're watching a picture, like, 'Wait, didn't these two NOT get married?'"

I guess Kevin Smith doesn't think too highly of the average movie viewer's ability to discern real life from a story.
Old 02-26-04, 09:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This is what happens when you use Jason Mewes as your test audience.
Old 02-26-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Unless he replaced the scene with Jay and Silent Bob or a bunch of dick and fart jokes, I'm still going to wait and rent it.
Old 02-26-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This movie looks cute. One of those chick flicks on a friday night. I dont' see too many dick and fart jokes in this movie. I see it as a more grown up Kevin Smith film. But we still have George Carlin! Love that guy! Tells it how it is!
Old 02-26-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After everything it sounds like he has cut out of the film, is it going to be a 10 minute short?
Old 02-26-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
A lot of Smith movies have close to 3 hour+ rough cuts to my knowledge. Interesting.
Old 02-27-04, 10:18 AM

http://www.nbc4.tv/entertainment/287...102272004&ts=H

Affleck, J. Lo Wedding Scene Scrapped From New Movie

POSTED: 9:18 a.m. EST February 27, 2004

NEW YORK -- Not only did Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez cancel their wedding in real life, and apparently the ex-couple won't be getting hitched on the big screen, either.

Us Weekly reported that a wedding scene with the now-defunct couple has been scrapped from the upcoming film "Jersey Girl."

The magazine quoted director Kevin Smith as saying he's unsure about his decision to leave the movie nuptials on the cutting room floor. He said, "People might forget they're watching a picture, like, 'Wait, didn't these two NOT get married?"'

"Jersey Girl" is not a Ben and Jen movie, exactly. Her character's only in the first 12 minutes.

Lopez and Affleck were to be married last September -- but postponed the "I do's" because of all of the media attention. They reportedly lost $2 million in nonrefundable fees from that canceled wedding.

People magazine said the couple planned to marry in October at Affleck's place in Georgia. They even applied for a marriage license and asked the Federal Aviation Administration to restrict flights over the area. But, People reports, Affleck got cold feet.

They have since broken off their engagement.

"Jersey Girl" is set for release next month.

Chris
Old 03-27-04, 10:31 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Jersey Girl was fan freakin tastic

The critics and marketin people of this movie can suck a damn egg. I love kevin smith and would go to anything he did. Then i saw the trailes and tv ads for this. OUCH. wasn't too happy. Looked exactly like the movies i hate. Critics? they seemed to hate it for all the reasons I feared i would hate it.

Saw it last night and it was one of hte most touching, beautiful, funny and uplifiting movies I have ever seen. the movie is damn hilarious, proving kevin can write funny dialouge without cussing. The cast was incredible.

I could go on and on about this but i don't have time. Seriously, if you think this is giong to be a real sap fest with TRAIN music and such lke the trailers and ads have shown, i promise you its not.

Go see it. REally.
Old 03-27-04, 10:36 AM

I agree, great movie I was even more impressed than i thought I'd be. I hope this grosses a ton for Kevin its definately a great script.
Old 03-27-04, 01:14 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Elkabong57
I agree, great movie I was even more impressed than i thought I'd be. I hope this grosses a ton for Kevin its definately a great script.
Indeed.
Old 03-27-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But NO Star wars lines... they will be missed. I might go see this tomorrow. I am curious to see how good it really is.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.