Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

American actors better at British accents OR British better at American accents?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Who is better with the others' accent?
Americans are better with the British accents.
8.33%
The British are better with the American accents.
75.00%
Both about the same.
16.67%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

American actors better at British accents OR British better at American accents?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop
Grimfarrow, you are missing Portia Di Rossi.
She doesn't even sound Australian in this interview:

Compare that to Nicole Kidman:

I still think she does the best accent. Her non-acting voice is irritating. Like an Aussie Fran Drescher (who is Welsh).
Old 03-11-08, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lot of good American accents on TV-Hugh Laurie on House,Aiden Gillen and Dominic West on The Wire come to mind.
Old 03-12-08, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know Jason Statham had a terrible "American" accent in "The One".

Gary Oldman, however, seems to be the gold standard when it comes to being British and doing American accents.
Old 03-12-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damian Lewis in Band of Brothers did great work covering up his english accent.
Old 03-12-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Rich Fulcher's "American" accent in The Mighty Boosh is absolutely awful. It could be on purpose, though:

Rich Fulcher is a former UCB member from Chicago, but he is indeed absolutely awful. I love the Boosh, but Fulcher's presence is always a beating. That points to another trend: American comedians based in the UK who invariably suck.
Old 03-12-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a tough subject...both countries have varying accents which tend to mask authenticity.

What exactly is a "British" accent? As an American, I can tell the difference between Irish, Scottish, and British. By the way, holy crap, James McAvoy at the Oscars? That dude is so freaking Scottish, he sounds like a crazy Mike Myers character. Anyway, I can tell that Eric Idle and John Cleese have different accents. And that John Oliver sounds a lot like Eric Idle. But I don't know where they're from.

And it's worse in America. Americans even have a hard time doing American accents. Boston, Minnesota, Maine, New York, Chicago, Texas...all have VERY different accents. I'd imagine that a British person can obviously tell the difference between the accents in Fargo and No Country For Old Men. TOTALLY different, but all "American."

I live in the South, and there are dozens of accents just around here. Knoxville, TN sounds different from Charleston, SC. But I guess most British people doing an "American" accent would try something general and un-localized, like a central U.S. accent...maybe something plain from Colorado.

Last edited by Merkin Muffley; 03-12-08 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-12-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

More importantly, who are better at portraying Canadian accents? Eh?
Old 03-12-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by abrg923
Hugh Laurie.

End of discussion.

I was shocked to see that it took as long as it did before he was mentioned...but I guess he's "slumming it" on television
Old 03-12-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I think that it all boils down to the actor in question. I tend to think that it is easier for an english actor to do an american accent than it is the other way round. Notable actors doing great accents from the other country are:

Gary Oldman (He is amazing at any accent and any character full stop)
Angelina Jolie (Tomb Raider/ Sky Captain - i thought she did a pretty good job on both)
Brad Pitt (Snatch - pretty good Irish accent)
Christian Bale (Does a good American accent overall)
Damien Lewis (Does a great accent especially in Band of Brothers)
Ralph Fiennes (Good job in Quiz Show)
Hugh Jackman (Not english but good at accents both US and English)
Colin Farrell (Minority Report - He does a good american accent in most of his US movies)

There are those that just do terrible jobs:

Renee Zellwegger (Bridget Jones - sorry but this didn't work for me at all for me)
The cast of Blackhawk Down (The actors here give the worst american accents possibly ever.....)
Dick van Dyke (.....with one exception)
Ray Winstone (The accent in The Departed was horrible)
Old 03-12-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MartinBlank

I was shocked to see that it took as long as it did before he was mentioned...but I guess he's "slumming it" on television

The thing with Hugh is that anyone that has grown up in the UK has become totally accustomed to his english accent and to hear him put on a US accent is just plain weird. I actually think that its average at best. He has one of those upper crust english accents that is very difficult to totally eliminate.
Old 03-12-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
This is a tough subject...both countries have varying accents which tend to mask authenticity.

What exactly is a "British" accent?
This is very true. The problem is that just like probably every country, England has numerous different accents depending on where you come from. People in London sound completely different than people in say Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, Devon, Cornwall, Manchester or Birmingham. Each part of the country has a very distinctive accent. The only one ever portrayed in movies is the kind of southern london type generic accent without much of an accent at all. It cannot be easy to do a real english accent. I have met people from other cities that even i cannot understand, so to have someone from another country try and emulate them must be tough.
Old 03-12-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually another great one has just come to mind.....Daniel Day Lewis. He did great accents in both Gangs of New York and There Will Be Blood.
Old 03-12-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

TV related, but I had no idea that ANGEL star Alexis Denisof is American, because he's so convincing as a Brit, and more recently Jonny Lee Miller - a Brit playing American lawyer Eli Stone. I can't imagine him with a British accent. I'll have to find something he's in where he speaks normally.
Old 03-12-08, 05:58 PM

Actually to those people who say Brad Pitt in Snatch. If you watch and listen to the extra materials, you'll see that he is actually quite horrible with it.

He couldn't master the proper accent. So, they gave him the Pikey (SP) character instead. What he speaks in that movie is gibberish, not based on any real accent.

So, while he makes the character convincing, he is not very good with accents.
Old 03-12-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have yet to hear a single American actor speak with an accent that sounds anything other than "I am an American actor who is desperately trying to sound like a natural Brit/Aussie/Irishman/whatever but am failing miserably with my horribly affected accent." Whereas I've heard many non-American actors pull off great to passable US accents.

I see a lot of people choosing Christian Bale, and I dunno; his accent was okay in American Psycho, but I remember there being certain words and letters where his UK accent popped out. I'm still trying to figure out why so many think he's a master with accents though, since in every post-Psycho role where he has to play an American, all he does is very, very, very, very slight variation on his Patrick Bateman accent.
Old 03-13-08, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
I have yet to hear a single American actor speak with an accent that sounds anything other than "I am an American actor who is desperately trying to sound like a natural Brit/Aussie/Irishman/whatever but am failing miserably with my horribly affected accent." Whereas I've heard many non-American actors pull off great to passable US accents.
Johnny Depp in From Hell. At least I think so.
Old 03-13-08, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
TV related, but I had no idea that ANGEL star Alexis Denisof is American, because he's so convincing as a Brit, and more recently Jonny Lee Miller - a Brit playing American lawyer Eli Stone. I can't imagine him with a British accent. I'll have to find something he's in where he speaks normally.
Trainspotting
Old 03-13-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's sort of amusing to hear UKers complain about the accent James Marsters uses as Spike on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." You know, he's over one hundred years old and has traveled the world. He'd probably tend to sort of develop his own accent after a while that wasn't wholly British or American.
And wasn't Marsters basically making fun of Anthony Stewart Head's accent?
Old 03-15-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
Trainspotting
I didn't recognize Sick Boy as Eli Stone. I also didn't recognize Kelly Macdonald as being the wife in No Country For Old Men (and didn't detect an accent, either).
Old 03-15-08, 11:34 PM

Sean Connery's Scottish accent is horrible

jokes people, just jokes
Old 03-16-08, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of the greatest mysteries is why Sean Connery was in a movie called "Highlander" and somehow manages to be a non-Scottish character.
Old 03-16-08, 04:23 PM

Trainspotting
Jonny Lee Miller is English. He does a very convincing Scottish accent in Trainspotting.
Old 03-16-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
One of the greatest mysteries is why Sean Connery was in a movie called "Highlander" and somehow manages to be a non-Scottish character.
Old 03-17-08, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jchamoun
Jonny Lee Miller is English. He does a very convincing Scottish accent in Trainspotting.
Shows how much I've seen "Trainspotting".

I'll have to recommend "Dracula 2000" for 100% English Johnny Lee Miller.
Old 03-17-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This whole thread goes out the window when you're watching John Adams. You've got Americans and Britons all together playing Americans and Britons from 230 years ago with odd hybrid accents...so we really have no idea how they're supposed to sound.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.