Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

American actors better at British accents OR British better at American accents?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Who is better with the others' accent?
Americans are better with the British accents.
8.33%
The British are better with the American accents.
75.00%
Both about the same.
16.67%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

American actors better at British accents OR British better at American accents?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't see it mentioned, probably because he's not huge, but Dominic West, who plays McNulty on HBO's "The Wire" is British and does a fantastic American (Baltimore to be precise) accent.
Old 07-01-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I have to say that it's non-Americans doing American accents. I'm always surprised when I see someone like Kidman or Collette on Leno or what have you and I find out they're not American.
Old 07-01-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hugh Laurie.

End of discussion.
Old 07-01-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Have you ever noticed that Daniel Day Lewis attempting an American accent in Last of the Mohicans sounds the same as Kevin Costner attempt a British accent in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves?
Even though I saw both, I can't say I noticed.

I do find it a bit humorous, however, since Lewis is British and the "Americans" (i.e. predominantly British colonials) at the time of Last of the Mohicans would have spoken with British accents. Or variations thereof that most modern ears would find indistinguishable.
Old 07-01-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
I think a lot of British actors (and those across the pond in that general area) tend to have a theater background so that probably helps in their character preparation and accents.

I remember hearing about this at the time of Bridget Jones' release:
The only real concession to the American audience is the casting of Renée Zellweger as Bridget, rather than a British actress such as Kate Winslet or Helena Bonham Carter, but even this works to the film's advantage. Zellweger seems more of an outsider trying to fit in, with traces of American gaucheness poking through the skin of the performance and the accent just a little too studiedly posh.
http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/review/2116/

It is interesting hearing Canadians speak as Americans with the occasional "aboats" and "zeds."
Old 07-01-07, 09:45 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
Hugh Laurie.

End of discussion.
Hugh Laurie is good at many things, but he sucks at emulating an American accent (or at least he used to; I only got through S1 of House before I gave up on that show as utterly dire.

I absolutely cannot watch English TV shows which have natives playing American characters. Since the quality of actor is lesser for TV guest star roles, their ability to do accents is equally lesser, and it drives me up the wall. I imagine Brits feel the same way sometimes when watching American TV.
Old 07-01-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Hugh Laurie is good at many things, but he sucks at emulating an American accent (or at least he used to; I only got through S1 of House before I gave up on that show as utterly dire.

I absolutely cannot watch English TV shows which have natives playing American characters. Since the quality of actor is lesser for TV guest star roles, their ability to do accents is equally lesser, and it drives me up the wall. I imagine Brits feel the same way sometimes when watching American TV.
Really? It seems like most people are incredibly surprised to find out that Hugh Laurie is British.
Old 07-01-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Christan Bale. Uses a different accent for each role. Thread done
Old 07-02-07, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Also, British accents tend to be rather complex and vary by things like region and class. So unless you're actually exposed to the culture in the UK, you're probably not going to pick up on these nuances.
oh, man, did you ever hear that thing that Peter Sellers does on the special features for Dr. Strangelove? there's an audio bit where he goes through about 10 different British accents....you can really notice the variety of regional accents there.
Old 07-02-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Gary Oldman is pretty impressive. I say he beats Hugh Laurie and Christian Bale. Take that!
Old 07-03-07, 07:28 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Really? It seems like most people are incredibly surprised to find out that Hugh Laurie is British.
As if the opinions of people who never watched Black Adder are worth anything.
Old 07-03-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
I vote for the British doing American accents.

patrick Stuarts has done an American accent well in several films, but never even tried to do a French accent in Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Old 07-03-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by CWB
American doing British go from excellent (Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones' Diary.
You're kidding right? Have you ever heard a British person speak? It's practically cringeworth to hear her at that role.

If you want an example of good, check out James Marsters as he is great at the British accent.
Old 07-03-07, 08:27 AM

So many little bit character parts go to relatively unknown British actors all the time and most of us never realize it. It's funny watching a movie like Doom and seeing some huge tattoo'd jack'd up black guy shouting "Die motherf**ker alien scum!", then seeing him interviewed in the special features and he's like [british accent] "well it was quite tough actually, with not having the necessary tea breaks and all...."[/british accent]
Old 07-03-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
You're kidding right? Have you ever heard a British person speak? It's practically cringeworth to hear her at that role.

If you want an example of good, check out James Marsters as he is great at the British accent.
According to an earlier post, UKers apparently hate JM's accent

Could it be that some of this comes down to opinion?
Old 07-03-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its about the same... People keep saying that there are so many different regions and types in British accents, but the same can be said about American accents as well. As long as they stop giving Angelina Jolie roles with accents Ill be happy.
Old 07-04-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jericho
Gary Oldman is pretty impressive. I say he beats Hugh Laurie and Christian Bale. Take that!
Oldman definitely owns the Brit-with-an-American-whiteboy-wannabe-black-gangbanger-accent

Is today whiteboy day?
Old 07-04-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hugh Laurie
Christian Bale
Rachel Griffiths
Gary Oldman
Old 07-04-07, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Grimfarrow, you are missing Portia Di Rossi. She does a mostly great one. If you listen close you can hear it though. The word "anything" and words like it are her tell.

I voted about even. I think there are just more British actors doing american accents then vice versa. Plus the British have it easy when doing a southern accent (McGregor in Big Fish). Americans don't have it easy doing any english or australian or new zealand accent. I'm pretty good at detecting missteps though.

Chritain Bale also has any unfair advantage because he really has lived over many parts of the world since he was young, so he has a huge familiarity. He also happens to be an exceptional actor that few can compete with.
Old 03-11-08, 12:31 PM

I literally think anyone who thinks Christian Bale or Hugh Laurie do good American accents should be slapped. Anyone who's NOT ignorant and stupid can easily tell they're British. Christian Bale in Shaft? pssstttt. Hugh Laurie on House? Would it be easier for all the stupid Yanks to paint a Union Jack on his forehead?

I don't understand why people can't hear their fakeness. You can't really blame Americans who can't tell, mainly because American culture is brash, and arrogant, and most American don't know any better... but British people who think they do good accents are the lowest scum of the earth.

The only half decent Brit actor doing American accent is Gary Oldman in Leon / The Professional.
Old 03-11-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The funny thing about Kevin Costner as Robin Hood is that no one's accent in that movie is authentic. People didn't speak with the modern British accents heard in the movie in the 12th century. They barely spoke what we'd recognize as English.

Last edited by aintnosin; 03-11-08 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-11-08, 12:51 PM

My votes go for:

Eamon Walker from OZ
Jamie Bamber from Battlestar Galactica
Old 03-11-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by garolo
how about that Mel Gibson with his Aussie accent?
Gibson comes by both his Aussie and American accents honestly. He was born in the U.S. and grew up here, moving to Australia at 12.
Old 03-11-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It took me years to accept that Idris Elba was British. Most of DVDTalk is presumably far better judge of American accents than British accents, but there are so many British actors who do terrific jobs. Most people you talk to don't know Gary Oldman and Christian Bale are British.

edit: OK, not most people you talk to, but most people in the United States who have seen Oldman or Bale in a movie.

Last edited by cleaver; 03-11-08 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-11-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan

Rich Fulcher's "American" accent in The Mighty Boosh is absolutely awful. It could be on purpose, though:

Craig Ferguson's "English" accent in The Drew Carey show was done as extremely English on purpose: he was tired of people exaggerating Scottish accents.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.