Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

question regarding killing of the witch king

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

question regarding killing of the witch king

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by das Monkey
Independent of the book, it's a valid question (not a "movie's diffferent from the book" nitpick). They talked up his badass power quite a bit during the film and then sidestepped it come kill time. I have very little problem with any of the creative decisions necessary to bring this vision to the big screen, but just looking at it as a film, they could have handled that scene better. Either don't promote him so much, or give a little reasoning for how they took him out. As it is now, it's just disjointed. Perhaps they address it better in the EE. I found the other two EE's to do an excellent job clarifying the more underdeveloped parts of the TE's, so hopefully that's the case here. In a year's time, the existence of the TE's will fade from my memory anyway.

das

The networks really need to start putting new episodes on...

Originally posted by GatorDeb
I didn't think about this at all. I spent the whole sequence thinking "Why the heck doesn't anybody take the dead horse from on top of Theoden?!"
cause they are fighting a war and to waste your energy to pick up a dead man who can't fight or for that matter, stand on his own is a wasted effort.
Old 01-02-04, 02:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by caligulathegod
Yeah, I suppose they were hoping to get away with it just being a woman to kill him. I thought him pointing out that "No man can kill me." and her saying she was no man was pretty straight forward. Of course then that opens up that Arwen could have taken them all out at the fords if she'd known.
Except that there were 9 of them. Even if Arwen had taken a few out, she would have been torn limb from limb by the rest, who then would take Frodo, and the ring, and that's the end of the story. Also, she was trying to get Frodo to Elrond as fast as possible to save his life, so stopping to fight 9 ringwraiths that she wasn't sure she could kill anyway would have been a bad idea.
Old 01-02-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Yeah, I agree.
Old 01-02-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Jack - maybe if they had taken the horse from on top of him he wouldn't have died

And where did everyone else go? It seemed that as soon as the King was down, everyone else dispersed from around him. Cowards!
Old 01-02-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Jackskeleton •

The networks really need to start putting new episodes on...
Get used to it. The "New das" posts in all forums, all the time. Mwuhahahaha!!!!!!!!

das
Old 01-02-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
A shame the new das doesn't know how to use the quote feature....

Deb, it's kinda hard to think "Hmmm, let me forget this giant creature that just landed here and is heading towards are fallen king who is already tore up, let me pick him up why not"

The fact that the dead horse was on him wasn't a factor of him living or dying, the point were he was clawed off his feet is where he was already a goner.
Old 01-02-04, 11:54 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GatorDeb
Jack - maybe if they had taken the horse from on top of him he wouldn't have died

And where did everyone else go? It seemed that as soon as the King was down, everyone else dispersed from around him. Cowards!
In the book, everyone was so scared of the WK that they cowered to the ground.

And dont forget my earlier point, the horse probably weighs upwards of 1000 lbs.!
Old 01-04-04, 02:17 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Eh, the books are just crappy novelizations anyway.
Old 01-04-04, 04:36 AM
Banned

I dont know how it happened in the movie...but damn it was uber cool!