Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So is Val Kilmer's career so bad now...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

that he has sunk to signings at automobile shows? He is appearing at the Phoenix Auto Show this weekend.

He's going to be there with R. Lee Ermey, Stacey Kiebler from the WWE and Jeff Probst. Good company for him to reflect upon his career.
Old 12-30-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He can't ride the glory of "twikoff" forever.
Old 12-30-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I know it's popular to hate Val Kilmer, but if his career has sunk this low, I truly do feel sorry for him. I love just about all his work and he was excellent as recently as The Salton Sea. I never got the chance to see Wonderland and I know it got panned by most people, but I applaud him for taking chances. Some of my all-time favorite films include solid to great performances by Kilmer, including Heat, Top Secret, Thunderheart and the aforementioned Salton Sea. Not to mention one of my favorite comedies of all times in Real Genius.

Who cares if he is signing at car shows? He will still be one of my favorite actors regardless.
Old 12-30-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by badger1997
I know it's popular to hate Val Kilmer, but if his career has sunk this low, I truly do feel sorry for him. I love just about all his work and he was excellent as recently as The Salton Sea. I never got the chance to see Wonderland and I know it got panned by most people, but I applaud him for taking chances. Some of my all-time favorite films include solid to great performances by Kilmer, including Heat, Top Secret, Thunderheart and the aforementioned Salton Sea. Not to mention one of my favorite comedies of all times in Real Genius.

Who cares if he is signing at car shows? He will still be one of my favorite actors regardless.
The funny thing is I don't hate him. I'm indifferent to him. I feel sad for a guy who has starred in some good movies, to be signing at some lame ass car show. I can understand the others that are there, but Kilmer must be really hard up to pay the rent.
Old 12-30-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think it's because he takes chances. That can obviously hurt a guy's career, but maybe he learned his lessons from such mainstream stinkers as The Saint, At First Sight, The Island of Doctor Moreau, Red Planet, The Real McCoy and his one-shot as Batman. At least that's what I would like to believe, but who knows? I wish he didn't have to sign at car shows, but then again, if he appeared at a show in my area, I would so be there.

Oh and i must beg forgiveness of Kilmer for not mentioning two of his greatest performances earlier....Tombstone (he owned as Doc Holliday) and True Romance.
Old 12-30-03, 06:30 PM

Doesn't he live in AZ? Is possible that he is not doing it because he has to but because he wants to? It's too bad that signing at car shows (or any other event) has been associated with something only people at the end of their careers do. Wouldn't it be great if more celebrities made themselves available to their fans in this way?
Old 12-30-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but Kilmer must be really hard up to pay the rent.
I hope you honestly don't believe that. Regardless of where his career is at, he is a multi-millionaire many, many times over.
Old 12-30-03, 06:54 PM

he was the bomb in tombstones
Old 12-30-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would assume this is just P.R. I've actually enjoyed his films. salton sea, wonderland, etc. he's done great work and though it might not be all mainstream films, they are great and I will enjoy them in my collection.
Old 12-30-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i always think him as the best choice for Batman....
he looks good as Bruce Wayne & doesn't look any difference with Keaton in Bat costum

he's also cool in the Saint (not so good movie overall though) but he's cool in there

& yes, Tomstones really makes him SUPER-COOL
Old 12-30-03, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does he live in Phoenix? Maybe the dude just likes cars.
Old 12-30-03, 07:43 PM

Well considering he has a couple leads and some secondary parts in about 4 or 5 upcomming movies I doubt this is the end.

I am holding my tongue a little because he happens to be one of my favorite actors. Anyway smells like PR or boredom
Old 12-30-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Grimm1
Doesn't he live in AZ? Is possible that he is not doing it because he has to but because he wants to? It's too bad that signing at car shows (or any other event) has been associated with something only people at the end of their careers do.
Yes, exactly. There's that stigma. This is exactly why I see it as funny for the guy. I would expect lesser stars to do signings at these kinds of shows, but he's probably a pretty well-known and recognizable star. I don't care what he does, I just found it fascinating and thought I would share.
Old 12-31-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

maybe the guy just likes cars... and wants to sign some stuff for fans. Is that so wrong? snooty non-signers or celebs that will only sign under super strict terms suck azz. I give Kilmer a "thumbs-up" for doing this. I really, REALLY doubt he has to sign at this show because he's in financial trouble. If he is and you have hard data to support that claim, then fine... but I have a feeling no one here has that sort of info...

j
Old 12-31-03, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Maybe he's still trying to pay his community back for that Rolling Stone article
Old 12-31-03, 01:07 AM

Although I think he is a fine actor, he has a reputation of being "difficult" on set and is rather self-absorbed off set. But, he certainly can get work when/if he wants it, so maybe that's just his thing. He's definitely NOT in the poor-house.
Old 12-31-03, 01:14 AM
Suspended

Kilmer played the best Doc Holliday and Batman, ever, IMO of course.

Don't diss the dude just 'cause he's there checking out the silicone babes and rides.
Old 12-31-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by crow121
he was a joke in Tombstone
Fixed.

Seriously, I don't know what anyone sees in his performance in this flick....it was all I could do to refrain from laughing through the entire thing....
Old 12-31-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree, brizz. His performance in Tombstone was brilliant. Oh wait ... I guess I meant, "I completely disagree."

das
Old 12-31-03, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Ooh, I'm really scared. Help! There's a peck with an acorn pointed at me!"
Old 12-31-03, 05:41 AM

Wow, I had no idea he was disliked at all.

Sure, he's had a couple mediocre to bad movies.... but,

I agree with some of the posters here in regards to his performances in:

Tombstone: How anyone can say he was less than outstanding in this movie is beyond me....

The Salton Sea: Truly great acting. Not a highly commercialized movie or a well known one for that matter but an excellent film with excellent performances none the less.

Willow: OK, so he wasn't going to win any oscars for this one but I loved his portrayal of the character "Mad Mardigan"

The Ghost and the Darkness: Solid Performance

Batman: Again, another solid movie / performance.

Real Genius: I could watch this movie over and over to this day...

True Romance: ELVIS... need I say more

Anyways... I wouldn't take anything away from the guy for doing the show. In fact, I agree with the people here that are giving him kudos for doing it. Actors / actresses can be so full of themselves sometimes that it's nice to see one do a car show.
Old 12-31-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I never thought he was disliked by the public, just by everyone he's ever worked with.

Real Genius is still one of my favorite flicks.
Old 12-31-03, 08:38 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
I never thought he was disliked by the public, just by everyone he's ever worked with.

Real Genius is still one of my favorite flicks.
ditto that!

I felt he did a good job in, most recently, The Missing (though a bit part)
Old 12-31-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RichC2
Maybe he's still trying to pay his community back for that Rolling Stone article
What rolling stone article?

He prolly got a free car for working the show. Celebs love free stuff.
Old 12-31-03, 10:16 AM
Suspended

Unless the guy is blowing all his money on crack, which I doubt, I don't think he's doing this show for the money. Big deal. He's done some stinkers but then just about every actor has too. I still say he was the best batman too

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.