Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'Nemo' Plagiarized?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

'Nemo' Plagiarized?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all this talk about plagiarism and, well, whatever the hell else is being discussed in this thread, I think the fact that these movies may have lifted story elements and maybe some small designs are irrelevant. These movies are successful for many reasons, and I'm for damn sure these people suing could never have created the same product.

I'm reminded of the case against the movie Twister, where two writers claimed they wrote the story and wanted like, all the profits. I recall Spielberg on the stand stating "this ovie is 80% special effects, 15% other stuff, and 5% script." While that's not the case for every movie, to think these little things that MIGHT have been lifted warrant these major lawsuits is just beyond ridiculous. And to think it invalidates these films...well, if the movie they plagiarized was actually good then maybe we'd agree. No story is going to be completely original, I bet every shot has a similarity to a shot in another movie, and characters will always resemble something else. It happens. These cases, 99.9% of the time are inane.
Old 01-09-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nothing would please me more than to see some seriousness creep into the arguments of this thread.
Considering that this thread's subject is completly stupid, there is no way for an intelligent discussion. Throw in the fact that you are throwing gasoline with your outlandish accusations (yes you did and in the other thread) and there is absolutely no place for this thread to go.
Old 01-10-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts
Originally posted by chanster
there is absolutely no place for this thread to go.
The choice was mine, and mine completely
I could have any prize that I desired
I could burn with the splendor of the brightest fire
Or else, or else I could choose time

Remember I was very young then
And a year was forever and a day
So what use could fifty, sixty, seventy be?
I saw the lights, and I was on my way

And how I lived, how they shone
But how soon the lights were gone
Old 01-10-04, 06:44 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
The choice was mine, and mine completely...
And they call me "kooky".
Old 01-12-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by baracine
And they call me "kooky".
Oh I think its more than that.
Old 01-12-04, 02:31 PM
Banned

Nemo was plagiarized.
Old 01-12-04, 04:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by jayson1017
Nemo was plagiarized.
Well, that's a compelling argument.

Case closed, folks.
Old 01-12-04, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Grouch094820 & 5/17

Case closed, folks.
He's more convincing than baracine
Old 01-12-04, 04:17 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
He's convinced me. Give me my dollar back.
Old 01-13-04, 10:43 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Grouch094820 & 5/17

Case closed, folks.
Thank you.
Old 01-13-04, 01:37 PM
Banned

It brings a smile to my face when I know that I have made a difference in other peoples' lives. It seems like many people were confused whether 'Finding Nemo' was plagiarized. And with my 'compelling argument', many have been convinced. I am glad to be at your service and hope to be so again in the near future. Thank you once again.
Old 01-13-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It brings a smile to my face when I know that I have made a difference in other peoples' lives. It seems like many people were confused whether 'Finding Nemo' was plagiarized. And with my 'compelling argument', many have been convinced. I am glad to be at your service and hope to be so again in the near future. Thank you once again.
Got any gum?
Old 01-13-04, 03:52 PM
Banned

Got any gum?
I have some Big Red in my cube.
Old 01-13-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have some Big Red in my cube.
Hey, what you do behind closed doors is your own business. I'm just asking about gum here...
Old 01-13-04, 09:05 PM
Banned

Hey, what you do behind closed doors is your own business. I'm just asking about gum here...
What are you talking about? You asked for gum and I told you I had some Big Red gum and I just so happened to mention where I had it, which was where I was sitting at the moment (my cubicle). And while it is true that what I do behind closed doors is my business, my offer to you was in no way being suggestive, except in an altruistic way.
Old 01-13-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What are you talking about? You asked for gum and I told you I had some Big Red gum and I just so happened to mention where I had it, which was where I was sitting at the moment (my cubicle). And while it is true that what I do behind closed doors is my business, my offer to you was in no way being suggestive, except in an altruistic way.
You know what movie I also really liked? Big Trouble in Little China.
Old 03-12-04, 11:38 AM

http://www.forbes.com/services/2004/...ahoo&referrer=

French Court Denies Disney Ban
Aude Lagorce, 03.12.04, 9:17 AM ET

NEW YORK - A Parisian judge handed a victory to The Walt Disney Company today in legal action brought by the author of a French book about a fictional clownfish.

Judge Louis-Marie Raingeard de la Blétière refused a request for an injunction that would have barred Disney (nyse: DIS - news - people ) from selling books and merchandise related to its hit movie Finding Nemo in France, saying that Disney character and the French clownfish, named Pierrot, weren't similar enough to justify pulling Nemo merchandise off the shelves.

"Nemo is red, Pierrot the clownfish is more orange," the judge said, according to French press reports.

Even though a civil trial remains on the docket for the fall, the court decision is a blow to Franck Le Calvez, the author behind the small publishing house book, Pierrot le Poisson Clown. Le Calvez argued in his lawsuit that the Nemo created by Pixar Animation Studios (nasdaq: PIXR - news - people ) and distributed by Disney is a copy of the Pierrot character he invented and first published in November 2002. "It could be an extraordinary coincidence, but we want to see an explanation," said one of his lawyers, Pascal Kamina, at the time the action was filed in February.

Le Calvez and his lawyers claimed that several bookstores refused to carry Pierrot le Poisson Clown after Finding Nemo came out in France, worried that Pierrot might be a copycat. But, asserting that things were the other way around, Le Calvez's legal team asked the court to impose an injunction on merchandising from Disney and French media company Hachette featuring Nemo in the same pose as Pierrot when the image of French character was registered with the copyright office in February 2003.

Unfortunately for them, it may be safer for Pierrot to run back to its anemone.

Chris
Old 03-12-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,022 Likes on 709 Posts
A ha...

Old 03-12-04, 12:12 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
So if I make a cartoon ripping off Finding Nemo, but I make the clownfish more to the pinkish, then that's okay?

Awesome.
Old 04-21-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 786 Likes on 567 Posts
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...edia_nemo_dc_1

French Court Dismisses 'Finding Nemo' Claim Case
Wed Apr 20, 4:44 PM ET Movies - Reuters

PARIS (Reuters) - A Paris court on Wednesday dismissed claims by a French author and his publisher that U.S. studio Disney copied his ideas in its film "Finding Nemo," and ordered they to pay Disney damages.

Franck Le Calvez and small publishing house Flaven Scene had sought 1 million euros in damages and interest from Disney, but the court instead ordered them to pay the U.S. studio 38,000 euros in damages and interest, and 25,000 euros in legal costs.

Le Calvez and Flaven Scene had accused Disney of copying the French author's ideas in its film about the fish Nemo, saying it closely resembles the Le Calvez's creation, Pierrot the Clown Fish.

"Finding Nemo," about a fish searching for his missing son, was the top U.S. film at the box office in 2003.

A Paris judge had refused last year to grant Flaven Scene's application for an injunction to ban the marketing of children's books and merchandise featuring Nemo.

Lawyers for Le Calvez, a marine life enthusiast, have said he registered an outline of his Pierrot character with the French authors' copyright association in 1995. He logged an illustration of the clown fish as a trademark in February 2003.

His book, initially published in November 2002, sold its first print run of 3,000. But a second edition in October 2003 sold virtually no copies as many bookshops did not want to stock it alongside Disney's Nemo books, published locally by Hachette.

Disney's lawyers said Nemo was registered under copyright as early as 2000.
Old 04-21-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice.
Old 04-21-05, 01:18 PM
Suspended

Man, this was a fun thread to read through.

I like though how no one ever sues about copyright infringement over a movie that made no money. I have about 10 pages of a script I started writing which is strikingly similar to that Harrison Ford stinkbomb Random Hearts but would I want to go to court and admit that turd was my idea?
Old 04-21-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Man, this was a fun thread to read through.

I like though how no one ever sues about copyright infringement over a movie that made no money. I have about 10 pages of a script I started writing which is strikingly similar to that Harrison Ford stinkbomb Random Hearts but would I want to go to court and admit that turd was my idea?

I had about 10 pages of an idea that was eerily similar to the Sixth Sense from back in high school(94). My draft had the character in a coma and you don't find this out until the end. The whole story was happening inside his comatose mind. He just went on about his business like he never went into the coma.

Anyway... nice to see the judge turn the whole case upside down and make the plaintiff pay damages.
Old 04-21-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,022 Likes on 709 Posts
I still stand by my original "aha" from over a year ago.

Paging kooky french canadian Baracine...
Old 04-21-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, I read through this entire thread and literally laughed out loud at how well Baracine played most of the posters with his masked sarcasm. However, once I got to page 4 or so...I started to get confused. You see, his obvious sarcasm turned into serious debate. In fact, I got so confused that I skipped over page 5 completely, and went straight to page 6, hoping to see something along the lines of, "LOL good job baracine."

So, I click the link to page 6 wondering to myself, "was he kidding? Was he serious?" Better yet, I see the court outcome (shortly before I post, "Wow, the beginning of the stories really are a lot alike,") and realize that this thread is over a year old.

...as it turns out, I'm far too drunk for the internet.

-JP

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.