Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

gattaca underrated?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

gattaca underrated?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is one of my absolute favorites! I saw this back in the theater in 1997, I think I was about the only one in the theater. I've got alot of people to see the film, and they all liked it a great deal as well. So I don't think it's underrated, it's just underseen, if that makes any sense.
Old 12-23-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great film. A science fiction film that is actually about 'science' and not seeing how much stuff can be blown up in two hours.
Old 12-23-03, 12:23 PM
Suspended

No offense, but if you have ADD, there are a ton of "action packed" films out there. Ooooh, yeah, non-stop.
Just because I think the movie is boring doesn't mean I have ADD, It means I thought it was boring.
Old 12-23-03, 02:31 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Good movie and it got the respect it deserves, IMO. It would never work as a blockbuster, so its BO disappointment was not a surprise to me.
Old 12-23-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

GREAT film. You are correct - criminally underrated.
Old 12-23-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just watched this film for the first time tonight. I enjoyed it greatly, fantastic movie. Cannot believe I went this long without checking it out.
Old 12-23-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love this movie, but so does anyone else that I have spoken to that has seen it. Therefore I do not consider it underrated.
Old 12-24-03, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I've met a lot of people who detest sci-fi but they think Gattaca is a great movie. Of course, it's probably because they were girls and Jude Law stars in the movie.
Old 12-24-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've always like the film, but never got around to buying it.
Old 12-24-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie is amazing! A very smart and intelligent film. Did you know that the letters in "Gattaca" stands for the names of the DNA strands in our bodies? "G" stands for guanine, "A" stands for adenine, "T" stands for thymine, "C" stands for Citoscene. I learned this in my AP Biology class in High school. I'm not sure if I spelled the names correctly. Cool huh?
Old 12-24-03, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Oddly enough, this is one of the few films that has an Esperanto language track.
Old 12-26-03, 03:33 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

In terms of people who have actually seen it, the no, its not underrated. it was great. but it IS underseen.

I didnt see it in the theaters. i tried to watch it on cable, but found it boring and confusing. a few years later, i saw how well-rated it was and rented it. fantastic. I'm now the proud owner of it.

Niccol's 2nd great movie, along with the Truman Show.

Last edited by TCG; 12-26-03 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-26-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Interesting premise, but poor execution. The plot had good potential for suspense, but the film itself largely ignored that angle, instead going for a slow pace with no suspense. Also, the underlying theme of the film was treated with such blundt heavyhandedness that it turned me off.
Old 12-27-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've seen Gattaca many times. And it's still one of my favorite movies.
Old 12-28-03, 03:19 PM

I thought the plot was excellent (clever title too), but it felt too long and drawn out.

Then I started watching Kurosawa movies. I think people who watch a lot of movies can stomach long, drawn out films while the general population has less ability.
Old 12-28-03, 08:57 PM
Cool New Member

I agree that it's underrated. I really enjoyed this film. You have to credit it for its style, score, acting, story line, and its modern relevance. This is one of the few films where I bought the score/instrumental soundtrack.

MikeD03C
Old 12-30-03, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Normally I have an adverse reaction when someone says they hated a movie because it was slow/boring, and someone else responds with the inevitable comment about it not having enough car chases, guns, explosions and so on.

... But not in this case.

If you didn't like Gattaca because you thought it was too slow and/or boring, I'm very sorry for you. We need MORE movies like this. MORE movies as GOOD as this.
Old 12-30-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The more I think about it, the more I think this film's problem is it's story.

Spoiler:
When you think that the main character, if he were in our non-genetically-biased culture today, would still not get into the space program, there's something wrong with the story. It's not some genetic probability, he's shown in the film as having a very real heart problem. You don't send people with heart problems into space. He put the rest of the crew in a possibly life-threatening situation just so he could selfishly realize his dream.
Old 12-30-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jay G.
The more I think about it, the more I think this film's problem is it's story.

Spoiler:
When you think that the main character, if he were in our non-genetically-biased culture today, would still not get into the space program, there's something wrong with the story. It's not some genetic probability, he's shown in the film as having a very real heart problem. You don't send people with heart problems into space. He put the rest of the crew in a possibly life-threatening situation just so he could selfishly realize his dream.
I have to disagree with you here...

Spoiler:
In the movie the main character Vincent is told that he MAY have a heart defect. The odds were 100 to 1, that he was sick, he said he'd take that chance of being the 1 person the doctors are wrong about. He is already supposed to have died from it. His brother Anton the detective says that their parents had thought they outlived Vincent. He tells Irene that anything is possible and that his heart is something "around 10,000 beats overdue." This isn't about his selfishness, it's about trying to realize his dream. It seems pretty apparent by the end that he is that 1 out of the 100 that is healthy and overcomes the odds of making it to space.
Old 12-31-03, 12:41 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I didn't like it much. I, too, thought it was boring, and I like long, slow movies. Glad it's got an audience, though.
Old 12-31-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

TheNightFlier,

Spoiler:
If there was nothing wrong with his heart, why did he have to conceal his heartbeat? He wasn't just hiding a probability of a heart problem, he already had the heart problem and was hiding it. Remember we get to hear a small bit of it at the end of the excersize scene, and it is seriously wonky.

People today outlive medical predictions of their life left, and that's great. I have a dog with a wonky heart that should technically be dead now, and I'm happy he's not. I just don't see us agreeing to send a guy with a serious heart condition into space, just because he hasn't died of it yet.
Old 12-31-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

TheNightFlier,

Spoiler:
If there was nothing wrong with his heart, why did he have to conceal his heartbeat? He wasn't just hiding a probability of a heart problem, he already had the heart problem and was hiding it. Remember we get to hear a small bit of it at the end of the excersize scene, and it is seriously wonky.

People today outlive medical predictions of their life left, and that's great. I have a dog with a wonky heart that should technically be dead now, and I'm happy he's not. I just don't see us agreeing to send a guy with a serious heart condition into space, just because he hasn't died of it yet.
Jay G.

Spoiler:
The reason he concealed his heartbeat is cause he was obviously not able to sprint the entire 20-25 minutes. Lets be realistic, most average, non-athletic people can't sprint for an entire 20 minutes and maintain a steady, regular heartbeat. The valids he is running against you could say are of world class or Olympic caliber, almost superhuman. Most of these people have no genetic faults whatsover. This is proven constantly when Anton beats Vincent in the swimming 9 times out of 10. It has nothing to do with Vincent's heart, it has to do with Anton being genetically superior and stronger. Vincent's heart is racing at the end of that scene since he obviously can't keep up with such a pace. Sure his heart is beating faster and harder, but he isn't as physically gifted as the valids. He was shown pushing himself with the hanging situps and no ill effects, no heart attack or problems occurred.

My main thought is that Vincent doesn't have a heart condition. When he is shown as a little kid, the parents treat him as if he's so fragile and unhealthy. My guess is that he wasn't sick at all and just a product of being told that he was so sick.

Last edited by TheNightFlier; 12-31-03 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-01-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TheNightFlier

Spoiler:
The reason he concealed his heartbeat is cause he was obviously not able to sprint the entire 20-25 minutes.
Spoiler:
That's the point though, isn't it? If he isn't healthy enough to legitimately pass the trials, he's not healthy enough to go on the space trip. Also, his heartbeat wasn't just fast, it was irregular.

Take the genetics out of that scene. They aren't being tested for genes, they're being tested for physical fitness. If a man, today, was trying to become an astronaut but couldn't pass the physical trials, do you think he should be allowed to go into space?
Old 01-01-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
That's the point though, isn't it? If he isn't healthy enough to legitimately pass the trials, he's not healthy enough to go on the space trip. Also, his heartbeat wasn't just fast, it was irregular.

Take the genetics out of that scene. They aren't being tested for genes, they're being tested for physical fitness. If a man, today, was trying to become an astronaut but couldn't pass the physical trials, do you think he should be allowed to go into space?
Spoiler:
You can't take the genetics out of the scene, that's the point of the entire film. He's obviously plenty healthy to run from police, beat his genetically enhanced brother(a valid). Gattaca's trials are for valids, not invalids, you can't exactly compare Vincent's physical health and stamina to that of somebody who is genetically superior in all aspects. Vincent is shown to be the best navigator in all of Gattaca, a place full of people enhanced mentally, ( the director says to him, "no errors in a million keystrokes" or something to that extent). If his physical health is only a bit below that of a valid, then yes I would send him into space.
Old 01-03-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

[spoiler]
You can't take the genetics out of the scene, that's the point of the entire film.
Spoiler:
The point of the film is that if it weren't for the stigma of having "bad genes," Vincent wouldn't have to lie. The point is that he's as capable as his genetic superiors, as his navigational skills show.

However, the film loses the plot when it shows that he's not as capable in the physical department. And I don't just mean in relation to the others. A genetically "perfect" person who never excercized would still be fat and unfit. In contrast, Vincent is very much in shape, but his heart is wonky.

BTW, here's the requirements for astronauts now:
http://flightphysical.com/part67/67subb.htm#b67111

Of particular interest is this part:
A person applying for firstclass medical certification must demonstrate an absence of myocardial infarction and other clinically significant abnormality on electrocardiographic examination
I think Vincent would fail that part.

Gattaca's trials are for valids, not invalids, you can't exactly compare Vincent's physical health and stamina to that of somebody who is genetically superior in all aspects.
Why not? You compare his mental skills with those of his "superiors," and he came out on top. So obviously genes aren't the only factor. You want to play it both ways, cheering Vincent for his superior mental skills but brushing off his obviously potentially deadly heart condition.

The question is, was the physical trial unnecessarily restrictive? Was it more that what was actually required for space travel? Nothing in the scene indicated that it was. Remember, this wasn't a test intended to test their genes, it was to test if they were physically healthy enough to endure the trials of space travel.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.